Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #1

Battery Disconnect Switch on Greyhawk

My battery disconnect switch appears to be not working on my 2005 Greyhawk 31S. The lights and most of my 12V systems are working but some do not (such as the radio in my dash). The switch appears to be in the "off" position, but when I push it to turn it "on" nothing happens and there is no way to turn it "off". Do I have a defective switch and is this a big problem to change?
Gomobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #2

If it is like the switch in my 2012 Greyhawk (and most battery disconnects) it is a solenoid type switch. You press it once to disconnect, the next time you press it it connects, and then the next time disconnect ad infinitum. you should hear a quiet "click" or "thunk" when you press it (if not it means your house battery is low or dead).

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #3

I have had this motorhome for about 10 years. It does nothing when I push it. The lights stay on and the power continues to go to all my appliances. I cannot get it to shut off.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #4

How can I tell if my disconnect switch is bad? Is there a way to reset it? It is stuck with most everything "on"; however certain 12V systems do not work and I cannot turn it "off".
Old 03-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #5

Solved the problem. When I closely examined the solenoid after removing the house battery, I found a 5 amp fuse plugged into the solenoid had blown. Replaced this fuse and disconnect switch is working just fine. End of problem!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #6

This is useful information, and with a happy ending. Where was the battery solenoid located? Probably very close to the battery, or maybe where the cables enter the fuse box?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:58 PM   #7

Had to pull out the battery and it is mounted on the top left side of the housing that contains the house battery. The 5 amp fuse sits on the bottom left of the solenoid.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #8

My problem is not fuse it is fine but the battery disconnect switch will turn on then off if I turn it on again it will stay on and will not turn off the appliance unless I disconnect the battery terminals. Any suggestions. I think it is solenoid switch but I don't know where the switch is located. I have 2006 Jayhawk.
khanra60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #9

Hello all!

I just purchased a 2021 Greyhawk 30Z and as I closed up everything, the main switch (red light) is still on. How do I turn this light off?
Bowling 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #10

Normally you just momentarily press its switch. But....

The Jayco owner’s manual states “Never depress the momentary battery disconnect switch for longer than 1 second. Depressing and holding the switch down will disable the battery disconnect solenoid. Should this occur the main ground cable for the house batteries must be removed for 1 minute to re-enable the solenoid operation.”

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #11

Ok Jim D i will try it and update you on its success. Thanks alot!
Bowling 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #12

Main switch

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

The Jayco owner’s manual states “Never depress the momentary battery disconnect switch for longer than 1 second. Depressing and holding the switch down will disable the battery disconnect solenoid. Should this occur the main ground cable for the house batteries must be removed for 1 minute to re-enable the solenoid operation.”
JimD we have nothing but problems with our 2019 greyhawk switch. Dealer fixed last fall but here we are again unit has not been used all winter but powered up. Issue started after we ran genny then reconnected to power following all the steps provided. Dealer is closed for warranty work because of COVID. We would like to use our RV this year. Can you give step by step instructions for newbies on where ground cable for batteries is. how to by pass the switch if needed so we can use rv.
Happy newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #13

I have no idea where the ground cable connects because I never had a problem with mine. It should be easy enough to find though. Look at your battery's negative post and follow the cable to see where it connects to the frame. There have been instances where this frame connection becomes loose or corroded.

If you need to bypass the disconnect switch, that should be easy too. Follow the positive cable from the battery to see where it goes. It may go straight to the battery disconnect solenoid/relay or it may go to a circuit breaker first. It should eventually end up at the solenoid/relay.

Look at the solenoid relay and you should see 2 large stud connections and 2 small stud connections. When it energizes all it does is connect the 2 large studs together. To bypass this solenoid/relay all you have to do is connect the 2 cables together that are on the large studs. The easiest way to do this is to disconnect one of the cables and reconnect it to the other stud along with the cable that is already there. You would end up with both large cables connected to the same stud. You may want to do this with the battery disconnected, meaning the positive cable at the battery is disconnected. If you don't disconnect the battery you will have to be very careful when moving the cable so you don't accidentally touch anything metal.

This would bypass the solenoid/relay. This would not hurt anything at all. Even if the solenoid/relay were to switch states, nothing would happen because the cables are already connected together. You wouldn't "short" anything out.

Leave the connections on the small studs alone. These connect to the control switch inside the rig.

If you want to leave the big cables permanently connected together bypassing the solenoid/relay and still wish to disconnect the battery now and then, you could install a simple battery disconnect switch on the battery. Many people have done that because it removes ALL loads from the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Disconnect Relay.JPG   Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

As I did my walk thru almost 3 years ago, the tech told me to hold that switch for a couple of seconds when turning it on and off...go figure.