Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2020, 03:17 PM   #1

Battery disconnect to save battery

I was told by a Good Sam tech support person over the phone, that I should disconnect the positive terminal on my RV battery if I don't want to have the battery drained while sitting in my driveway for an extended period of time.

I did that, and put a piece of electrical tape over the wire's bare connector (o-ring?).

However I've seen online that the recommendation is to first disconnect the negative terminal! I'm no electrician, can someone tell me if what I did was wrong?
bobuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
CAG

Negative. Among other reasons, if the negative for some reason, moves and touches metal it is not going to spark and start a fire. Just the negative needs to be disconnected and a better choice would be to install a disconnect switch.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

Agree with CAG.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Negative. Among other reasons, if the negative for some reason, moves and touches metal it is not going to spark and start a fire. Just the negative needs to be disconnected and a better choice would be to install a disconnect switch.
I have an appointment to get a battery switch installed at the end of this month. In the meantime, do you suggest that I first re-connect the positive cable (which I disconnected earlier) and then disconnect the negative?

Thanks,
Bob
bobuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuva View Post
I have an appointment to get a battery switch installed at the end of this month. In the meantime, do you suggest that I first re-connect the positive cable (which I disconnected earlier) and then disconnect the negative?

Thanks,
Bob
Since the positive is already disconnected just disconnect the negative terminal. When you're disconnecting a battery you should always disconnect the negative terminal first. If you disconnect the positive terminal first and accidently touch the frame in the process you get a spark.

As for the battery disconnect, I agree with others that the disconnection should be done on the negative side. This assures the battery is completely disconnected from the electrical system. And with some TT's there is sometimes more than one cable connected to the positive terminal.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #6

I agree, disconnecting the battery entirely should be done by the negative side. If you decide to install a disconnect switch and are going to COMPLETELY disconnect the battery, you should wire it on the negative side.
However, units like my 5th wheel that have a disconnect switch installed from the factory are wired on the positive side. Reason being is they are disconnecting it from everything on the trailer that has a draw. It is still connected to the landing gear system and emergency breakaway switch for safety reasons.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #7

You didn't mention what model rv you have. On a simple trailer like mine I have a inexpensive and extremely positive one that mounts on the battery. You could do it yourself in about 60 seconds. About $8 almost anywhere. Simple to use and install.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #8

I was still getting draining from my batteries even when I do the disconnect switch so what I did is to install a solar panel for my batteries and turn off the disconnect switch so my batteries want go down.

I'm out to my 5th wheel all the time checking in on it making sure everything is alright so I just turn the disconnect switch on and I still have power because my batteries will be fully charge.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:41 PM   #9

You can disconnect either the positive or negative cable. If you go with the positive one you just have to be careful that your wrench or anything else doesn't touch metal and battery at the same time.

If you disconnect the positive cable I would isolate it from touching anything metal. Wrap it in tape, put it in a sock, whatever. The cable won't have any voltage on it unless you happen to plug the unit in. At that point the cable that feeds the battery for charging from the converter will be live so you don't want the cable to be touching anything.

As far as the disconnect switch is concerned, either terminal can be used as long as all cables are on one side of the switch and the battery terminal is all by itself on the other side. Many different types of switches are available.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
CAG

Rather than go to all the trouble of wrapping, isolating and what ever else just disconnect the negative. It is just much safer.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuva View Post
I was told by a Good Sam tech support person over the phone, that I should disconnect the positive terminal on my RV battery if I don't want to have the battery drained while sitting in my driveway for an extended period of time.
I don't think anyone suggested this yet, but if it's sitting on your driveway, is there a possibility to run an extension cord to it, and plug it into power once a week, to top off the battery?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery-disconnect