Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

Battery disconnect, won’t

New Jayco, battery disconnect does not shut off power. Replaced disconnect switch, same result. The wiring looks like 2 negative cables one side, 1 positive on the other.

Any ideas?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

You have to give us more information to help troubleshoot.

What rig are you talking about?

Are you referring to the red toggle power switch, or a manual disconnect switch physically on the battery?

What's not being turned off?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

2020 27RB. Mechanical battery disconnect located in front storage drivers side.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #4

I suspect that is a white hawk model.

What is still operational?

By chance are you connected to shore power? If so, your power inverter is supplying power to your 12 volt system, and the battery, is disconnected.

On some models, to my knowledge this is a 5ver issue, if there is a remote to power the awnings and slides, the power to that system is not disconnected. Nor is the power to the autoleveling system.

Little more info could help.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #5

White hawk yes. No remote for awning, no auto levelers. Not connected to shore power. With disconnect switch off, everything works.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #6

if you want power off, 1. unplug 2. disconnect negatives on your batteries.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #7

Been doing that, just want to figure out why switch isn’t working
Old 03-29-2020, 04:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Been doing that, just want to figure out why switch isn’t working
More than likely, the charging wire from your converter is hooked to the wrong side of the switch, has been an issue for a few of us.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #9

I have the same issue with a 2020 white hawk 27 RB. When I turn disconnect off, all 12 volt circuits are still powered. While disconnect is turned off and connected to shore power, the battery charger does not charge the battery. When turned on and connected to shore power the battery charger is charging the battery.

I have been removing battery terminals when in storage to prevent battery drain down.

I would just like to know if this is how this rig is designed. If it is, that design doesn't make sense. It seems the disconnect was meant to be used during storage in order to prevent battery drain.

Does anyone have any thoughts or possibly a schematic of how this disconnect should be wired. I did remove the panel with the disconnect swich and all wires look secure with good crimps, so no loose connections.

My wiring on the disconnect switch looks the same as the OP of this thread.
Jon and Frances Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #10

Yeah, mine is like that also but I was reading in my manual and it state that it don't turn off all the power the battery will still go down, ask me how I know.

Good, I'm glad you ask I turn my disconnect switch off every time I leave my 5th wheel about two week ago when we was going camping the wife an I was their about 1 1/2 hours try to charge my batteries, not good so I bought a solar Fifth Wheel & Travel Trailer (Class B&C RV) 13 Watt 3/4 Amp NEW Hi Power magnetic for 2 or more 12V batteries - No experience Plug & Play Design. Dimensions 17.5" L x 10.3" W x 1/4" Thick. 10' cable.

So I just got it today but I will be putting it on this week so all of the reviews was pretty good I will find out the next time we go out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yeah, mine is like that also but I was reading in my manual and it state that it don't turn off all the power the battery will still go down, ask me how I know.

Good, I'm glad you ask I turn my disconnect switch off every time I leave my 5th wheel about two week ago when we was going camping the wife an I was their about 1 1/2 hours try to charge my batteries, not good so I bought a solar Fifth Wheel & Travel Trailer (Class B&C RV) 13 Watt 3/4 Amp NEW Hi Power magnetic for 2 or more 12V batteries - No experience Plug & Play Design. Dimensions 17.5" L x 10.3" W x 1/4" Thick. 10' cable.

So I just got it today but I will be putting it on this week so all of the reviews was pretty good I will find out the next time we go out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Never turn off the disconnect unless in storage.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon and Frances Butler View Post
I have the same issue with a 2020 white hawk 27 RB. When I turn disconnect off, all 12 volt circuits are still powered. While disconnect is turned off and connected to shore power, the battery charger does not charge the battery. When turned on and connected to shore power the battery charger is charging the battery.

I have been removing battery terminals when in storage to prevent battery drain down.

I would just like to know if this is how this rig is designed. If it is, that design doesn't make sense. It seems the disconnect was meant to be used during storage in order to prevent battery drain.

Does anyone have any thoughts or possibly a schematic of how this disconnect should be wired. I did remove the panel with the disconnect swich and all wires look secure with good crimps, so no loose connections.

My wiring on the disconnect switch looks the same as the OP of this thread.
I just purchased a 2023 Whitehawk 27rb. I got it home last night but I can't get the power on inside the TT from that battery. My battery disconnect is turned on but I don't have power. I know I'm missing something but not sure what??
Batteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #13

The first thing I do when I have 12 volt power issues is go to the simple stuff first. Is the battery charged? Are the battery cables tight and are they clean? Is the ground wire tight and making a good connection at the chassis? If the answer to these questions is yes then someone with more experience than I have will probably chime in . Good luck with this issue.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:57 PM   #14

I have a similar problem with the battery disconnect on our 2020 Precept 31UL. The switch was working prior to an upgrade. I changed out the DC circuit board in the Progressive Industries Panel/Converter to one that has the LI/LA switch in preparation for new batteries, LIFEPO4 type. Prior to making this change, I removed shore power, hit the battery disconnect, disconnected the chasis battery and the house batteries. Once finished with the swap, I reconnected the house batteries and noticed that the the light for the battery disconnect was on, indicating that the batteries were "connected." I hooked the chasis battery back up and started the engine. All normal but the battery disconnect switch would not turn off the light. I can hear the relay clicking, but the light remains on as well as the interior lights.

Our batteries need replacing and drop quickly when not hooked to a charger so I plugged into shore power and let them charge. Everything seems to be working, the batteries increased in voltage to over 13 volts (checked while shore power unplugged) and the battery disconnect is still not working as before I "fixed" things. Any suggestions?
gkhamrhead is offline   Reply With Quote