Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #1

battery draining

New member and getting back into camping, I bought a 2016 jacyo x254 feather lite and I'm finding that while it is not in use there is something that is draining the battery. I know the simple solution is to just unhook the battery but don't feel like this is the only way. When I charge the battery I do unhook the ground , other than pulling each individual fuse to see which is drawing it down are there any other ways to check it. Appreciate any help thanks.
Wanted to add picture of setup but still learning to navigate.
camping for 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Team

A couple things that draw from the battery, are the stereo, and the CO/propane detector. They're powered all the time the battery is connected.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

Things such as the CO detector and radio (clock) will drain the battery. Mine was drained within a week or 2. Best thing to do is install a battery disconnect switch. Here is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/BEP-701-Batte...connect+switch
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpoppe View Post
Things such as the CO detector and radio (clock) will drain the battery. Mine was drained within a week or 2. Best thing to do is install a battery disconnect switch. Here is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/BEP-701-Batte...connect+switch
X2 Installed a locking battery box and added the disconnect switch to the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	35187

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	35188

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	35189
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping for 4 View Post
New member and getting back into camping, I bought a 2016 jacyo x254 feather lite and I'm finding that while it is not in use there is something that is draining the battery. I know the simple solution is to just unhook the battery but don't feel like this is the only way. When I charge the battery I do unhook the ground , other than pulling each individual fuse to see which is drawing it down are there any other ways to check it. Appreciate any help thanks.
Wanted to add picture of setup but still learning to navigate.
Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, there are what are often called 'parasitic' draws on the battery. Even if you pulled fuses, you'd not find all of them; the CO/propane detector for example is always connected.

Removing the battery cable is the quickest way to eliminate all the draws, but a switch is more elegant.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #6

Battery Draining: 30 Amp Breaker used as switch

Per others above, I found it convenient to be able to connect and disconnect the battery when needed. I also did not like the method of having to "check" the 30 amp fuse when 12 volt system was having issues. I installed a 30 amp breaker which I also use as a disconnect switch. Note the breaker is attached to the cover of the junction box. Now all I need to do is push the button. _Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
30 Amp Breaker Resized.jpg  
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

How much parasitic battery draw should be expected? I have a '12 Jayco 3100SS. When parked, engine off, not connected to shore power, and the battery disconnect in the "off" position, I get a 250ma draw on my coach battery and I get a 500ma draw on my engine battery. Both are enough to completely drain the batteries in a matter of a few weeks. Anyone ever checked how much battery draw they are experiencing or anyone have an idea what amount would be expected? I understand there are some things that draw power all the time, but no idea how much is considered normal. The engine battery draw is much higher than that when it's first connected as the parking lights and running lights all come on for a short period of time then automatically turn off, reducing the drain to 500ma. When the lights are all on, the draw is more like 8A. In order to keep my batteries charged I have gone to plugging in my rig to shore power when it's parked and not in use. That keeps the coach battery charged. And I disconnect the negative lead on the engine battery to stop the drain there but both of those seem like they should not be necessary.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #8

I have no idea what is a "normal" drain, but with the CO detector alone it would be enough to drain even a good battery in a few weeks. A disconnect switch is the answer that most people use. It's cheap, reliable, and easy to find. Myself I wouldn't spend too much energy chasing down small draws if my reserve capacity when using the trailer was adequate.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote