Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
hwg

Battery Fuse and Meter

Hi Guys,

I have a new to me 2004 Jay Feather X23B, and I need a little help with the battery.

There is an inline fuse from the battery with a 20A blade fuse installed, I thought that was supposed to be a 30A, correct?

Also, I want to install a meter of some sort inside to give me an idea of my battery strength, since my unit is kept at a storage facility and not outside my home. Do you have any recommendations for which meter works well, and where have you installed yours?

Many thanks in advance!
hwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #2

Re: Battery

Watching your battery voltage is a good first step. Here is a 12volt meter that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket (if you have one in your trailer) for under $3 on Amazon: Mini LED Display Digital Car Voltmeter 12V/24V Vehicle Voltage Gauge. Your battery should always be 12 volts or above. Dropping below 12 volts will shorten battery life.

Unless you have a way to 'trickle charge' your battery, items that are always ON (ie radios and CO & Propane detectors) will drain your battery. Disconnecting or removing your battery will help ensure your battery is ready when you are.

I have a 30amp fuse inline to the electric tongue jack. Other than that, I can't help with your fuse question.

And welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
hwg

Thanks, there is a 12v receptacle, labeled for TV only, but I assume I could use that port for the meter.
hwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #4

Here's one I have. Think I got it from Amazon. Works pretty good, but only tells you battery voltage. (don't know why it came out sideways when I posted) I don't know of anything to tell you the actual capacity of the battery other than a load tester.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1817.jpg  
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwg View Post
Thanks, there is a 12v receptacle, labeled for TV only, but I assume I could use that port for the meter.
Currently, that receptacle (TV only 12v) is the outlet I'm using to check my battery voltage using a $5 voltmeter from Amazon (I found the cheaper ones too late ).

Someday I'll have a better setup, a better voltmeter, etc., and multiple batteries. But this will work for this season to keep an eye on my battery and the trailer's 12v charging system.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #6

Just my opinion and what I do when placing the trailer in storage between trips.
I will disconnect the battery so that it doesn't discharge due to any systems that may be on or any light/s that may not have been turned off. Also being my TT is in an open storage lot I will remove the battery and place it inside of the TT. If I were at a secure storage lot at the very least I would remove the inline fuse on the battery to prevent any discharge.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

Good battery condition guide

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...cture2363.html

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote