Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2020, 04:00 AM   #1

Battery Question

I am having an issue with the electrical system on my 2003 Eagle 272 FKS travel trailer. I have had my deep cell battery checked and checked the connections on it, both were good. My issue is that when I unplug my camper from the 30 amp plug none of the electrical system including the propane fridge will run. Also if i remove the battery while plugged in to the 30 amp service, I have no power in the camper. Everything works when plugged in and the battery installed. Any suggestions?
BucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Some places to start checking... check the 30 amp fuse near the battery to see if it blew. Check the reverse polarity fuses in the panel to see if they're good.

Do you have a digital volt meter? Check your battery voltage when not plugged in, then plug in shore power, and check again. Does the voltage rise when plugged in?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #3

I will check the fuses in the panel and the vilt meter when I get home from work. I changed both of the fuses at the battery over the weekend, one blew when using the electric jack.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #4

Replace the one the jack blew with an AT format breaker, 30A. Fits perfectly and they come in auto and manual types. Eliminate a future headache.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #5

I was able to check the battery tonight. With the unit plugged in the battery read 11.91 volts, and when unplugged it was 11.87 volts.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksFan View Post
I was able to check the battery tonight. With the unit plugged in the battery read 11.91 volts, and when unplugged it was 11.87 volts.
If that's the correct voltage your battery is dead. Now if it was 12.91 and 12.87 that would be full charged and good.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #7

Weekend update

I lost all electrical service in the camper after we arrived at a campground Friday night. Saturday I took the battery to be tested again. This shop said it was dead and unchargeable. I replaced the battery and still no power. We replaced the convertor and everything took off. Then after 3 hours everything shut off again.
We manually ran the slide out and jack to hook up to go home. We took the breaker/fuse panel out again and found one of the 12 volt wire connections was loose. Tightened all the wire connections and everything is running. Fingers crossed the issue is fixed.
Thank you for your replies.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
Site Team

You did good to fix your problem by fixing a few. I was thinking your converter may be bad or unplugged. Loose connections can drive you crazy sometimes.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #9

I'm sure you got a great feeling after finding and fixing your problem. So much better to be able to do it yourself rather than having someone else just take care of it for you.

It was definitely a learning experience and now you are very familiar with how it is set up and works and will be able to jump in next time (hopefully no next time) with this stored knowledge.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote