Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2020, 06:03 AM   #1

Battery shut off

I want to install a battery shutoff on my 2 batteries. The ground cable going from battery to the frame has a ring terminal that is smaller than the 3/8” lug on the switch. Does anyone have a solution short of replacing that cable?
Whitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehat View Post
I want to install a battery shutoff on my 2 batteries. The ground cable going from battery to the frame has a ring terminal that is smaller than the 3/8” lug on the switch. Does anyone have a solution short of replacing that cable?

Why are you installing the shut off on the negative side? Install on the positive side.

The studs on batteries are different sizes with the positive being the larger of the two, there is a reason the negative cable has a smaller ring terminal.......so it can't be mixed up and connected to the positive side of the battery!

Your shut off has two 3/8" studs, cable from the positive on the battery to one stud on the switch and the positive wire from your unit to the other stud on the switch.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #3
Site Team

I installed mine on the neg side due to space restrictions. Some say pos is best but either will do the job.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
Why are you installing the shut off on the negative side? Install on the positive side.

The studs on batteries are different sizes with the positive being the larger of the two, there is a reason the negative cable has a smaller ring terminal.......so it can't be mixed up and connected to the positive side of the battery!

Your shut off has two 3/8" studs, cable from the positive on the battery to one stud on the switch and the positive wire from your unit to the other stud on the switch.
Either will do, best practice is the neg. That is why I want mine on the neg. I may have to check out the pos. Thanks for the replies
Old 03-22-2020, 07:09 AM   #5

Depending if there is enough meat you could drill the ring terminal out.
Or, cut it off and crimp on a larger one.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehat View Post
Either will do, best practice is the neg. That is why I want mine on the neg. I may have to check out the pos. Thanks for the replies

And just where did you get the info that negative is best practice? If it were so, why are there 3/8" studs on the switch? Why are the switches, red?

Typically disconnects that attach at the battery to a post go on the negative side, that is to prevent any sparks in close proximity to the battery.

I know installing on either side will work, after all a switch simply interrupts the current flow.........doesn't really matter what side.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
And just where did you get the info that negative is best practice? If it were so, why are there 3/8" studs on the switch? Why are the switches, red?

I know installing on either side will work, after all a switch is simply interrupts the current flow.........doesn't really matter what side.
https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electricity-12-volt-tech-battery-disconnect/
Old 03-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #8

To answer the question, take the battery cable to a battery shop and have them crimp a larger ring lug on your cable.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #9

on my toyhauler i used the negative side, incase it came lose or broke it wouldnt arc against the frame or anything.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote