Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Bauer Keypad Battery change?

Anyone have experience changing batteries for the keypad?

Thanks in advance.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

As far as I know this model doesn't have batteries. Mine looks exactly the same and it runs off 12-volts from the coach batteries, supposedly hot all the time. Look in the hinge area of your door and see if you see two spring-loaded plungers and mating contact areas. That is how power is passed to the lock assembly, it happens only when the door is closed or very close to it.

You may have blown a fuse, usually very near the batteries themselves, or you could be unlucky like me and have (another) bad keypad. My coach is at the dealer right now getting the fourth keypad installed! The first one was recalled because it could catch fire, the second had two 3 buttons go dead two weeks after installation, and the third shorted out and tries to lock the deadbolt whenever the above-mentioned contacts come together. Had to isolate them with electric tape so I could close the door.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

I replaced multiple keypads and actuators on that system in my fifth wheel. Finally, one of the representatives from Challenger Door sent me the self-contained, battery-operated Bauer unit to replace it.

I'll never use the system pictured above again. Every time the actuator failed, the lock was stuck in either the locked or unlocked position. That can be very dangerous.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
As far as I know this model doesn't have batteries. Mine looks exactly the same and it runs off 12-volts from the coach batteries, supposedly hot all the time. Look in the hinge area of your door and see if you see two spring-loaded plungers and mating contact areas. That is how power is passed to the lock assembly, it happens only when the door is closed or very close to it.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
You nailed it.

Cleaned up both areas to get better contact and works now...but will keep an eye on it and keys in my pocket.

Appreciate the info.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote