Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #1

Bent Frame?

Hi Everyone,

Iím starting to think I might have a pretty serious issue with my 21 24mbh whitehawk.

The other day when pulling out of the neighborhood I noticed the driver side of the trailer seemed very high and the passenger side seemed very low. To the point when I was making left hand turns I was worried it was going to tip over.

I pulled into an empty parking lot that was fairly flat, positioned the trailer in the same spot coming from both directions. Itís clear the trailer is elevated on the driver side and sagging on the passenger. I inspected all suspension components from side to side and everything matched up, nothing looked broken and it all seemed fine. I then thought maybe it was the load in the trailer, but on the passenger side itís the cabinets, frig, and bunks. The slide surely weighs more than those and we had clothes and lighter items that would not make a difference. The tanks were all empty.

So we continued on our way and when we got to the campsite it was a perfectly level pad. I have a four foot level and it was right on. I disconnected, put my stabilizers out, and leveled the trailer. I figured my level mate pro was showing I was a half inch off because I had miss calculated upon initial leveling. Well when I put my level in the trailer with the slide out, weíre again high on the slide side and low on the passenger side. I measure from the rear of the trailer to the ground at each corner and there was a 1.5Ē difference to the ground. I then measured at the axles and itís about 1 inch difference. So on a flat surface I had to again level the trailer with blocks.

When youíre in the trailer the front feels very level and there is no issues. The rear by the bathroom though feels elevated and angled. I had brought this up to the dealer originally and they told me thatís just how it is.

Iím now starting to wonder if I have a bent frame and how I go about proving it to the dealer and getting jayco to fix it and honor their warranty. Getting any warranty work done seems like pulling teeth with rv dealers. 6 months out to schedule then they half a@& only half of what needs to be done and ignore the rest.

Here are some pictures that visually show the slide side being higher and kitchen side being lower just from a wheel reference.

What advice do you guys have? I canít imagine pulling an unlevel trailer down the road is not going to cause wear problems. I had previously posted about my right side tires heating up and having higher pressure than the left. We thought it was a hitch issue but now Iím thinking the design of the trailer is bad and they put too much weight on one side or I have a bent frame. I just canít see how the cabinets and frig would outweigh the steel and slide.

What am I missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FDF9C26A-0874-4E38-A283-D1E141771DBE.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	82299

Name:	66A016CB-EC64-4578-AB7E-98791A2FFFF7.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	82300
Campingfamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:05 PM   #2

Do you see anything strange going on with the spring hangers, spring shackles, or the equalizer between the front and rear axles? Do they look significantly from side to side and front to rear? If you are on a perfectly level pad, you could take some reference measurements with a tape measure between the bottom of the frame and the ground to see how it compares from side to side. I would start there anyway.
85vf500rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:53 PM   #3

A bent frame is fairly uncommon.

I would double check your suspension components. It is not uncommon for the spring hanger welds to break. In some situations the equalizer between the axles to "flip".

Lastly, how do you level your tt?. It sounds like you use the stabilizer jacket to level. If so, that is a bad thing. That may have caused undue stress on the frame.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (retired from towing)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:10 PM   #4

I’ll try to post some pictures. I looked for all of those things and didn’t see any problems. I even measured the brackets to make sure they were the same ones on each side.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:12 PM   #5

Anderson leveling blocks. Definitely not my electric stabilizers.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:26 AM   #6

Agree with others that it sounds like you have a suspension problem. A bent frame would cause other issues like doors not closing, siding problems, etc. I would try measuring your axle to frame heights, spring arch and clearances for both axles. Guessing that you either have a problem with a spring that has weakened or broken or a problem with an equalizer. Good luck and let us know what you find.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2019 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #7

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Just went to the trailer in storage and took some pictures. The sun angle didnít help great but let me know if you need to see specific components.

Name:	D3A5CA7B-0C0A-41E3-86B3-FE8062F3068B.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	82464

Name:	48EB0997-AA5D-440D-AA41-76CE145F0764.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	82465

Name:	F95C1CE6-CA4D-44B4-B483-315B8385F72E.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	82466

Name:	F78176B8-AD01-4699-8BDC-3EC3BDD26909.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	82467

Name:	66B25DED-EFB8-4537-B106-2C1876422718.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	82468
Campingfamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #8

Our outriggers were bent & the weld broken on our unit. And our springs were not heavy enough for the unit. Additional outriggers were added while the others were fixed. We took our unit to a spring shop to fix.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #9

Looking at the angles/orientation of the equalizer on both sides, there appears to be something wrong on the passenger side rear spring. Wonder if you have a spring that went bad?

Maybe some of you on here with more experience with larger trailers/springs can chime in, but to me all the springs look flattened. I would think if the trailer is empty and sitting in storage, all four springs would have a little more arch to them.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2019 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #10

From what I can tell the passenger springs are more compressed than the driver side. The trailer is empty and slide closed. Did jayco design it in such a way where there would be that much of a weight difference? Ideally jayco would fix this issue. I hate driving down the road with a trailer leaning one way.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:00 AM   #11

Agree with above. The spring in pic4 looks flatter than the spring in pic 3. Might need to get it on some flatter ground than a gravel storage lot to get a better look. Or is that wheel chock affecting the way it sits?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #12

Your springs do look very flat. It is not uncommon for side to side load to be appreciably imbalanced. On my HT 30.5 CKTS the driver side is significantly heavier ( 2 slides, kitchen & bedroom, water heater, batteries, propane tanks, TV fireplace etc all on left side) and caused the unit to sit close to 1" lower on that side. You should measure the distance between the frame and the top of the spring plates to compare side to side. You need to have the trailer perfectly positioned so both sides have the equalizer perfectly balanced, or take the mean average of the spring to frame dimension on each side for comparison.
I agree it is highly unlikely a frame problem would result in one entire side being lower than the other - that sounds like weight distribution.
You should get the trailer weighed accurately: you need to evaluate the total weight when loaded for use as well as each side individually. The flat springs concern me: it appears they have been overloaded or have experienced some rough roads. You should not see the flatness and wavy appearance of those springs. Assuming you are under warranty, insist the dealer evaluate them, or have a separate spring shop inspect and evaluate them.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #13

To me it looks like the passenger side springs ( the rear more than the front ) have collapsed. As mentioned before I would get the trailer on a flat solid surface. I would measure from the top of the axels to the bottom of the frame at all four wheels. I’m just guessing but the passenger side rear looks about inch to a inch and half low. If your under warranty I think the dealer is where I would start. Having a spring shop look at it is a darn good idea also.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
To me it looks like the passenger side springs ( the rear more than the front ) have collapsed. As mentioned before I would get the trailer on a flat solid surface. I would measure from the top of the axels to the bottom of the frame at all four wheels. I’m just guessing but the passenger side rear looks about inch to a inch and half low. If your under warranty I think the dealer is where I would start. Having a spring shop look at it is a darn good idea also.
X2, the pass. leaf springs need replacing. It would take a heckuva load to have caused a loss of camber like that.
Onyrlef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:04 PM   #15

I see Flat springs on Pass side drivers looks fine
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #16

Definitely springs have less arch on the passenger side.
Possibly not heat treated correctly which makes them too soft.
I'd contact dealer for a warranty claim.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:28 AM   #17

... from Nature Ist: [QUOTE ... Assuming you are under warranty, insist the dealer evaluate them, or have a separate spring shop inspect and evaluate them.[/QUOTE]

Good idea.

If it was mine, I'm going to a spring shop. I think most RV dealers are not as capable of dealing with suspension problems as they could be. Also, you will get a neutral evaluation / answer that you won't get elsewhere..
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:06 AM   #18

My personal thoughts, replace the springs yourself. Get springs that are slightly higher rated, get two jacks and just replace them.

I did it at a campground last fall when one spring snapped. It's really not that difficult at all. I paid about $70 per spring from a brick and mortar trailer store. Bought 2 more online when I got home for even cheaper.

It's probably easier than hauling to your dealer and waiting. You can probably submit the receipts to jayco for reimbursement if you want.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #19

Just heard back from the dealer. They said the springs have gone flat and are being replaced under warranty. I am curious about why they went flat as well as if the new ones will do the same. The only thing we've done is load it with water, food, and some of our clothes. If it happens again I'll replace as suggested above for sure!