Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Best Portable Satellite to get?

What do you folks recommend? How do you hook it up to a Jensen setup? Where to you put the receiver? Have a 2013 HT Eagle. I do have an outside coax connection and it's supposed to be satellite ready. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

We have a Dish Tailgater. Works good except when there is a lot of Lightening and really hard rain. Behind the tv in my trailer there is a jumper wire that has to unhooked. then a coax cable hooked from where the jumper wire was hooked to the receiver input, the we have a hdmi cable from the receiver to the television. If we want to use the trailer antenna we have to unhook the cable going to the receiver and reconnect the jumper wire.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

I have the Winegard Anser Portable Dish. It is the grey one with the black cover over the dish itself. It is semi automatic but honestly I don't bother with that and just line up the sight manually. It's pretty easy to find the satellite with this dish.

This was one of the less expensive choices and it works great. I even get signal in most bad weather. Mine hooks up exactly as the poster before me described.

This has been one of my best travel trailer investments. Very pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

We have the Dish Tailgate. With help from the forum it was easy to hook up (electrical is not my best suit). When we arrive at campsite it automatically finds satellites and there is just one cable from tailgate to RV. Also best purchase we have made love it bought it on Amazon, also if you have a Dish account you can "pay as you use" see website for details.
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #5

Thanks everyone, we have direct tv. Guess I need to go look at the wiring in the rig. Flippen hot here in the valley! I just got the receiver and there is not an HDMI port. The guy at Jayco service said to use coax from the receiver out to where, the TV?? Is there ports for component cables into the TV? Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

Ok if you don't have a hdmi port. you can use a coax from the tv to the receiver and a coax from the the receiver to where you have to disconnect the jumper wire. I just cannot believe the receiver doesn't have a hdmi port. The tv should have rca jacks and maybe 2-3 hdmi ports.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #7

What is nice about DirecTV is that if you already have service at home then there is nothing else to pay for getting service when traveling. Get a portable satellite and take your home receiver or buy another one dedicated to the trailer and you've got service for no extra fee.

Maybe Dish works that way too. Not sure but I was pleasantly surprised when I found this out from DirecTV. I was expecting some sort if additional fee to be involved.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #8

Dang that's good to know, I got a standard receiver from camp world and found out I actually leased it. Have a receiver I can take from a 3rd room for camping when I go. What a pain, took forever to get hooked up with directtv i.e. activating the receiver. Thanks to the posts, ther was a jumper involved and got it all working today with coax. Going to call direct tv and see if I can get something with a HDMI output to the tv, better pic and sound. I ended up getting the MP1 Winegard dish and it was very easy, so far I like it alot. Folks are right setting it up at home first, will be camping for 7 nights this weekend so will see how that goes. Pretty fun actually, neighbors probably though I was nuts but took less then 5 minutes to get tone Did I tell you it's hot in the Arizona? Had to turn off the AC so I could here the tech support from directtv, good project for winter time. So leasing the receiver is 6 bucks a month minus the 75.00 getting it from Camp world. 257.00 and I have Football in the mountains while chasing deer, elk. turkey, gotta like technology. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
What is nice about DirecTV is that if you already have service at home then there is nothing else to pay for getting service when traveling. Get a portable satellite and take your home receiver or buy another one dedicated to the trailer and you've got service for no extra fee.

Maybe Dish works that way too. Not sure but I was pleasantly surprised when I found this out from DirecTV. I was expecting some sort if additional fee to be involved.
The only issue is once you are out of your home area you will lose the locals since those channels are "spot beamed" . Distance will vary depending on what part of the country you live in.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #10

What is odd is that I live in Nashville, TN and went to Destin, FL for a week. My Nashville channels were still there broadcasting local Nashville news. I didn't have any local Florida news. ABC, CBS, and NBC were all showing Nashville stuff.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
What is odd is that I live in Nashville, TN and went to Destin, FL for a week. My Nashville channels were still there broadcasting local Nashville news. I didn't have any local Florida news. ABC, CBS, and NBC were all showing Nashville stuff.
That's what I mean. The spot beams are "weird" to say the least. I get Cincy all the way to Mackinac, MI and even in parts of S. Canada but not in South Bend Indiana.