Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #1

Question Bike Rack on Bumper

I want to install a bike rack for 2 bikes on my 4" square bumper. My question has anyone installed a bike rack on the bumper without issue? The total weight of the bikes & rack is less than 100LBS. Should I "beef" up the bumper with additional flat steel running the length of the bumper both top & bottom? Any input would be great and Have a Happy Thanksgiving with your family & friends.

Buckeyejim
Columbus Ohio
2011 Eagle 322fks
Ram Diesel
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #2

I had a 2" receiver welded frame to frame. Works great, cost ~$275, and don't need to worry about losing a bumper. I certainly wouldn't use a bumper bolt on receiver. I have personally seen 1 rip the bumper off of a close friends Outback, and that had way less than 100lbs.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #3

I lost a bumper with nothing on it. To be fair that trailer did not have a great suspension on it and the bumper was more or less tack welded to the frame. The bumper moves more than the suspension of the trailer, it moves faster than the suspension. It can be on the road almost dragging in one second it can be walked under in the next second, it all depends on a beam that has a fixed pivot point and is reacting to forces/movement from the front end of the trailer.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyejim View Post
I want to install a bike rack for 2 bikes on my 4" square bumper. My question has anyone installed a bike rack on the bumper without issue? The total weight of the bikes & rack is less than 100LBS. Should I "beef" up the bumper with additional flat steel running the length of the bumper both top & bottom? Any input would be great and Have a Happy Thanksgiving with your family & friends.
A few years back (on one of our earlier tt's), we added a bike rack and two bikes to the 4" square bumper. It did bounce around quite a bit. We didn't know better back then, but now know not to do it. Those bumpers aren't made to carry that kind of weight. Many members here have posted about welding racks to the frames. While waiting for members to offer suggestions on this thread, do a quickie search here at JOF to find some solutions that others have shared

Also, I have moved this thread to Tech Talk forum for you to get more traffic on your question
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #5

I'll buck the trend here and say that I have a 2-bike rack mounted on my bumper. It is not the type where a single receiver is mounted at the center of the bumper but rather mounts at 4 separate points on the bumper (the bike wheels fit into the rack). My thought there is to spread out the weight. HOWEVER, I did take the spare tire and tire mount off the hitch so the only items hanging on the bumper are the two bikes and the rack...about 100#. My bikes are not worth a whole lot so just to make sure I put a steel cable through the bikes and racks just in case they do fall off the entire mess will still be attached to the trailer frame . Last Spring I took a 5000 mile, three month trip and had no problems. I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT YOU DO THE SAM AS ME...just sayin.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #6

Another option that I have not seen posted is depending on what tow vehicle you have, you can put a receiver on the front of the vehicle. I drive an excursion and installed a 2" receiver on the front. I did not want to wait to do modifications on my trailer and void the warranty.
PBKnothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

Buckeyejim;

Here's a link to another recent discussion on the topic....

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight=bike+rack
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #8

You know the sceen in RV when he's driving with the shopping cart under the rear of the camper and sparks are flying...I've seen it happening...

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #9

We installed a hitch receiver on the front of the truck and carry the bikes there.  It works great - no worry 
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #10

On my rear bumper, I have my spare tire and a 3 bike rack that all bolt around the tube. The bumper attachment welds are great and it shows no signs of deflection...however, I have read the horror stories and beleive that safety is paramount. So, I reinforced my bumper connections in 3 places back to the trailer frame. On the sides, where the welds are, I added bent steel plates that bolt to the frame and to the bumper without interfering with my sewer house storage. Also, since the bike rack is in the middle, I sandwiched a plate in the hitch receiver and bolted it to the rear frame using a piece of angle steel. My hitch receiver is also one of those that has a bolt that you can tighten down on the installed bike rack to eliminate bounce and sway. In my humble oppinion, the bounce and sway of the rack loaded with bikes is the reason most bumpers fail...if you control that and eliminate it...not much to worry about. But, it never hurts to add insurance...so get it reinforced.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote