Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #1

Black tank flush leaks

When I hook up to flush my black tank I get water dripping out underneath by the low point drains. These drains are right under the wet bay. Do I have a leak behind the plumbing panel?
Old 11-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #2

It is very likely the back-flow preventer (vacuum breaker) which is installed somewhere up high, often behind the shower or in a vanity cabinet. They are notorious for failing.
There are other possibilities, but locate that component and check it first.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #3

Odds are it's the vacuum check valve. I've replaced mine twice in the 6 years I've had my 2015 23RLSW. They go bad, but they're usually easy to replace - after you find it, that is. Odds are it will be right inside the trailer where the black tank flush hose connection is located. Mine is under the bathroom vanity. Price isn't too hateful. Here's a link to the last one I bought, early this year. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #4

I have a 2020 30.5 CKTS Your 2022 28.5 RSTS has a very similar bathroom layout. My Back-flow is located in the corner behind the show valve. If you open up your basement access panel where your water connections are, look for the evidence of the water leak; if it has dried or you don't see it, just follow the lines from the back of your flush connection fitting. You will probably see the line goes up through the floor of the bathroom level. There will likely be another line of the same color running parallel to that line. Those are the lines that lead to the black tank flush. Given the location of your vanity and shower, I would expect to find the back-flow preventer to be right behind the shower valve. If it is, like mine, you can remove the shower mixing valve to access the back-flow preventer.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
Old 11-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #5
Site Team

I had a similar leak on a new rig and it was just a loose connection on the black tank sprayer. Look for the waters source.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #6

This forum is awesome! Checked behind the shower faucet handles and that’s where it was. Jiggling it made it leak but not much. Must have broken it free messing with it. Not leaking now but will order a replacement just in case. On our very first trip and already a part failing!?
Old 11-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #7

The backflow preventers usually open when you disconnect the hose after flushing. They can sometimes get stuck open, which will probably not close the next time you use the flush...so you get water leaking. When you disconnect the hose again, the preventer may close. I had one years ago that would do that every now and then. That one was in the vanity, where I could keep an eye on it. I left a small towel wrapped around it to soak up any small leaks, which also allowed me to check after each use to be sure the towel was dry. For those of us with the backflow buried in the wall, out of site, that's not such sure way to monitor it.
You are wise to get a new preventer to keep on hand for when you do need it.
Old 06-03-2023, 12:30 PM   #8

Leaking still

We just bought a 2022 factory leftover Jayco Jayflight SLX 212qb from Pete’s Rv. under the Bathroom sink there is a leak which which we think is the black water rinse pipe. Had it to Pete’s Rv Center in Mountville twice and they said they fixed it, but when we checked it , it was still leaking.
jssparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssparks View Post
We just bought a 2022 factory leftover Jayco Jayflight SLX 212qb from Pete’s Rv. under the Bathroom sink there is a leak which which we think is the black water rinse pipe. Had it to Pete’s Rv Center in Mountville twice and they said they fixed it, but when we checked it , it was still leaking.
I assume you can either see the leak is coming from the backflow preventer area, or that it is the only running water when the leak appears. My experience with Pete's RV, and with dealer service anywhere, has not been at all satisfactory for years now. If you took it to them complaining of the black tank rinse leaking, they very likely only checked the black tank flush by connecting a hose to it to run water through it - if they didn't see a leak they would say it was fixed, and surely did not go any further to see if there was something else leaking.

My recommendation is to find and repair it yourself - you are the only one that cares enough to do a good job. All of us have found, out of necessity, that we have to become expert RV repair technicians because we cannot rely on dealerships to do things right.
Old 06-03-2023, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks, my husband is going to fix it himself. We just ordered the part to fix it.
jssparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 03:55 PM   #11

We bought our 2022 212QB last November. At the end of our first trip I did the blackwater tank rinse thing, and water was gushing all over the bathroom floor. Did find the backflow valve in the vanity and found hoses barely attached (nearly falling off). We had an easy fix that time.
Love our 212QB so far. Leaving in a week from VA to go to CO for our son's wedding in Boulder, then on to camping in UT, AZ and NM, followed by the drive back. Hope I still love it afterwards.

Quote:
2022 Jayco Jayflight 212QB
ThePimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:17 PM   #12

I had this exact same thing the first time we used our 212QB. Everything under the bathroom sink was drenched, after looking around, the connection was barely on, not even hand tight. Tightened it up and all has been well.
K-Dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 12:17 AM   #13

My son bought a used TT and it leaked when the water was turned on the black tank flush. It was not winterized at some time and busted the fitting just inside the wall of the TT.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote