Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
You can pretty accurately measure the gpm of the water output by filling a five gallon bucket and timing it. Then you know the capacity of your black tank so can figure how long you can run the flush before filling the tank. Suggest you fill no more than 50% of capacity and then dump. Also get the flash lite and take a peek. You don't want to get distracted when you are doing this.
That's right on. For example, it takes me approximately 60 seconds (give or take a second) to fill a five gallon bucket with my setup; I've timed it repeatedly. So no more than five minutes on my tank flush (at VERY maximum) for a 32.5 Gal black tank should be more than good enough.

No matter what, when I'm doing this task, that's all I'm doing. It drove DW crazy the first few times. She would say "why don't you do something while you're just standing around?" Once I described to her the "poo fountain" that could occur if I got distracted, the jeering ceased immediately.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

BIL found out a couple weeks ago why the warning label is next to the black tank flusher inlet hose connection on his Rockwood TT.

I always run my flusher with the dump valve open, don't believe in the OEM sensors....., and so does my BIL now.

Bob

Oh, what happened.....; Well there is a dedicated water pressure relief valve "inside" his TT under the bathroom sink that his black tank flusher water line is connected to....., all the time BIL was letting the flusher do its thing with the dump valve closed he was "flushing" the inside of his TT. The entire carpet was socked, water in floor cabinets, and everywhere else throughout the TT (no poo). Since the dump station was the last thing they did, they didn't find out about the interior flood until 5 hours later when they arrived home.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
BIL found out a couple weeks ago why the warning label is next to the black tank flusher inlet hose connection on his Rockwood TT.

I always run my flusher with the dump valve open, don't believe in the OEM sensors....., and so does my BIL now.

Bob

Oh, what happened.....; Well there is a dedicated water pressure relief valve "inside" his TT under the bathroom sink that his black tank flusher water line is connected to....., all the time BIL was letting the flusher do its thing with the dump valve closed he was "flushing" the inside of his TT. The entire carpet was socked, water in floor cabinets, and everywhere else throughout the TT (no poo). Since the dump station was the last thing they did, they didn't find out about the interior flood until 5 hours later when they arrived home.

Will definitely keep this story in mind every time I'm rinsing my tank!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #24

On the flipside, make sure you re-close your black water valve after you run the flusher.

I left the flusher running with the valve open while I did some other tear-down tasks outside. Turned off the flush, then did the grey water tanks. Guess what step I missed?

Got a nice little surprise when I went to hook up the sewer the following weekend. Fortunately, black tank was mostly empty and I was able to re-cap it quickly and saturate the ground with fresh water to clean up.

Oh yeah, also a good idea to always wear gloves when doing anything sewer related!!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
snip......Will definitely keep this story in mind every time I'm rinsing my tank!
Even though BIL & family were home dealing with a flooded TT, they didn't think the flusher had anything to do with it. I went over a couple of days later to help find the "plumbing leak" (they thought the pump was left running), and it was then that I noticed the dedicated flusher relief valve. To be honest, I never seen one dedicated to the flusher line before.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Just as a suggestion, WalMart has a wand-type item that attaches to a garden hose that you can put down the toilet in order to flush the black tank. It may not be as convenient but it does a good job and for around $7 bucks it's a deal. Our RV has an installed black tank rinser but we use the "wand" in addition and find that it does a better job.
I'll try the wand thing, thanks.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #27

The wand sprayer has been able to keep my black tank sensors working perfectly. Sometimes after I dump the tank it still reads 2/3 and after a good spray with the wand it's back to Empty. Takes 5 minutes but totally worth it.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

X 3 on the wand sprayer. 7 bucks at wally world and clean as a whistle when done.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #29

Had the wand at first, then installed the Quickie Flush.

The wand works, I just hated dragging the hose in and out of the trailer. I have found no matter how hard I try the hose gets dirty and tracks that mess into the trailer. Plus, usually I was doing this at a dump station and I could only imagine what was on that concrete that I then drug the hose over and into my trailer.

The wand is no longer used in my trailer. Might consider it again if I had a floor plan with an outside door directly to the bath, but not when I have to drag the hose through the kitchen, next to the table and couch.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #30

Great info.
Same subject....another question. Does anyone put a pressure reducer in line on the hose they use on their black tank flush? I do, just not the same one I use for the fresh water connections.
Thanks.

'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote