Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2022, 03:49 PM   #1

black tank overfill,

hi everyone, we have a fifthwheel, eagle ht 2018 model 30.5 mlok, and here the problem. before leaving the campground i start cleaning the black and grey tank. i made a mistake with my timer and the black tank came overfill and water poured inside the underbelley. i toutght that the black tank was broke or some other parts inside the underbelly . so i bring the trailer to the dealer, and after several hours of check and inspection the dealer give me back our trailer and say that nothing was broken and the only reason of the water pouring,is that there is a joint on the drain pipe somewhere between the toilet drain and the connection of the black tank and when it's overfill the water came out and pour inside the underbelley. my concern in this question , is it normal that the joint was not gluded.the service girl at the dealer says that the thec who works on the trailer look every where and nothing was broke even the breaker vaccum check valv and also say that the joint not gluded is build like that and it's normal.

2018 jayco ht eagle 30.5 mlok
chevrolet Silverado 3500 gas dually wheel 2011
pc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #2

pipe goes in a rubber seal as it enters the tank....water probably pushed pass that seal when under pressure.

No reason to run the black tank rinse with the dump handle closed....now you see why they even put a warning sticker about that!

This video will give you the idea @ 11:00 min mark
https://youtu.be/Lr4TnvIomBQ

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #3

I always run my Black Tank Flush with the valve closed. I WILL NOT under any circumstances walk away or do anything else while I am doing it. I do several "Fill / Drain" cycles. I also have flow meter inline so I can see how many gallons I am adding. I've been doing it this way for years..

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I always run my Black Tank Flush with the valve closed. I WILL NOT under any circumstances walk away or do anything else while I am doing it. I do several "Fill / Drain" cycles. I also have flow meter inline so I can see how many gallons I am adding. I've been doing it this way for years..
what is actually better than ^^^^ that procedure....is while the valve is open and the tank rinse is running, fill the toilet to the rim 3 times and dump using onboard water. This will break up any large lumps or stubborn items and push it out with the rinse. 20+ years of camping and 4 RVs later...this is the best process I have found for me.

B&W hitch
Old 08-27-2022, 05:45 AM   #5

thank marcm 157 for your reply , you give to me the right tip ,to buy a flow meter,as i know the total capacity of the black tank on our trailer it will help me to not overfill the tank. the reason why i overfill the tank , it's i was using a timer on my phone,but once my phone was in my pocket and the timer stop it took some times before i realise that,and then when i took my phone to restart the timer,the tank was overfil. so i will go and buy the flow meter.tank again marc

Old 08-27-2022, 06:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc35 View Post
thank again marcm157 i'll folow your tip.
You're welcome! Just don't let yourself get distracted...
Old 08-27-2022, 06:12 PM   #7

alright...ignore my solid advice and go rogue

B&W hitch
Old 08-27-2022, 06:22 PM   #8

Over I discovered that the tank flush only hit one spot in the tank, not all over the walls like I thought, I stopped running it with the valve closed.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #9

hi learjet , i never say that your procedure is not good, and i certainelay, will try it somedays.,i'm just looking for a procedure that will help me to not repeat the mistake i did. the reason why i say to keep the valve close when filling it up , it's this is the advice that provide me the rv thec, when i bought my first fifwheel ,brand new and make the pre delevery survey with that tech. i'm sure that your way to do is good, because the experience you have. i will try it for sure, but also i want to buy the meter flow and try both way,and see wat i will be trusting to not repeat my mistake. thank for your help

Old 09-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #10

I too have been using a flow meter for almost 5 years now. I never fill the tank to full but about ¾ full before draining the water. I do this 2 or 3 times depending on how the outflow looks. I stand right there and keep an eye on the flow meter just to be safe with the amount of water going into the tank. This has worked well for me also over that time frame as full time RV living we do not want any problems.
The Gordens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #11

I spent almost 2 years flushing the black tank weekly trying to keep it relatively clean.. I finally stopped putting toilet paper down the toilet. Now the tanks stay relatively clean and we don't have any smell issues.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:15 PM   #12

We don't have an automatic rinse feature.
I have a car wash wand that has a joint at the end. I push it through the toilet and when it gets to the bottom of the tank it turns 90 degrees allowing me to really give the tank a shower. I make sure to give the tank sensors a really good rinse too. When I'm done, I rinse the wand down and have a piece of PVC pipe it slips into in the storage compartment.
When my Wife does it and I am monitoring the clear connection outside it is very apparent when it's "All Done".

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:54 AM   #13

I have been doing it the way Learjet suggested with great success since 2017!
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I do the same. Several flush/drain or fill/drain cycles. I also have a water meter in line with the flush port so I know how many gallons are going into the tank. If I need to walk away for a minute, I turn the water off.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:49 AM   #15

Quote:
thank marcm 157 for your reply , you give to me the right tip ,to buy a flow meter,as i know the total capacity of the black tank on our trailer it will help me to not overfill the tank. the reason why i overfill the tank , it's i was using a timer on my phone,but once my phone was in my pocket and the timer stop it took some times before i realise that,and then when i took my phone to restart the timer,the tank was overfil. so i will go and buy the flow meter.tank again marc
There is also the issue of different water pressure at different campgrounds causing the tank to fill faster or slower. A timer is better than nothing, but a water meter is the best answer.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #16

Quote:
hi everyone, we have a fifthwheel, eagle ht 2018 model 30.5 mlok, and here the problem. before leaving the campground i start cleaning the black and grey tank. i made a mistake with my timer and the black tank came overfill and water poured inside the underbelley. i toutght that the black tank was broke or some other parts inside the underbelly . so i bring the trailer to the dealer, and after several hours of check and inspection the dealer give me back our trailer and say that nothing was broken and the only reason of the water pouring,is that there is a joint on the drain pipe somewhere between the toilet drain and the connection of the black tank and when it's overfill the water came out and pour inside the underbelley. my concern in this question , is it normal that the joint was not gluded.the service girl at the dealer says that the thec who works on the trailer look every where and nothing was broke even the breaker vaccum check valv and also say that the joint not gluded is build like that and it's normal.
You have a problem!
Have done what you did by overfilling the Black Tank.

1. Belly pan must be removed and cleaned and dried
2. Install new insulation and tape to belly pan
3. Install newly insulated belly pan

Your back in business!
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #17

This forum is great for manufacturer's selling stuff, come-on a flow meter! Geeeez!! To many gadgets .
Old 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM   #18

The flow meter is great for this purpose and measuring how much water you are putting in your fresh water tank and several other things as well. It is a tool not a gadget. If you don't want one you don't need to buy or carry one. This forum is an outstanding place for ideas to be shared. You are under no obligation to buy anything you see written about here if you don't want to...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 09-16-2022, 05:26 AM   #19

Interesting conversations. Our #2 black tank rinse has sprung a leak somewhere. Within seconds of starting the flush, water starts a small drip on the other side of the camper. Something else for dealer to look at this fall
Old 09-16-2022, 06:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Interesting conversations. Our #2 black tank rinse has sprung a leak somewhere. Within seconds of starting the flush, water starts a small drip on the other side of the camper. Something else for dealer to look at this fall
This check value often goes bad. I've read lots of posts in this forum about it and many members have explained it can simply be removed - thereby eliminating future repairs and leaks - and replaced with a short piece of plex with sharkbite connections. The plex routes up above the black tank into this, then runs back down to the tank. Gravity keeps the black water from going up (and out) the flush connection. This value is for double protection that black doesn't come out that way since it only allows flow in one direction. When it goes bad, it leaks. Removed gravity is all you have to prevent back-flow. Many believe that's enough and this check value redundant. Easy to replace yourself, or remove it. It can be found inside your camper... often inside the bathroom cabinet below the sink.

PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote