Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Black water setup!

I am currently camping and have run into an issue. Do all black water hoses go all twisty when you dump? This is my current setup with hose empty. As soon as I dump and the hose filled it goes all slinky/twist my. It is the hose that came with the camper, is there a better aftermarket hose?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180727_192429.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	42506Click image for larger version

Name:	20180727_192435.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	42507
Auto_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

The mere weight of the water running through the hose will cause the hose to sink to the lowest point that doesn't have adequate support. I would think if you support that last section, it will work as you want it to.

It's a lot like a Slinky toy. Pull its ends away from each other and the weight in the center falls to the floor between your hands.

I wouldn't mind having a shorter hose when I occasionally discharge my grey tank into my 22 gallon wastewater tank. I attempt to zigzag the hose on top the wastewater tank before starting. If just one edge or curve of the hose is near an edge (and not supported) when I open the valve, the hose falls off the wastewater tank and sucks the rest of the hose with it.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Just need some more "poo hose" supports. They come in different heights, so just figure out what ya need.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #4

[emoji41] chalk it up to bring a rookie! [emoji41]

I lengthened the support and moved the camper about 1 foot further from the hookup and problem solved!

This forum rocks! I had a small problem, posted it and within minutes had a solution!

You all are the best!
Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_Pilot View Post
[emoji41] chalk it up to bring a rookie! [emoji41]

I lengthened the support and moved the camper about 1 foot further from the hookup and problem solved!

This forum rocks! I had a small problem, posted it and within minutes had a solution!

You all are the best!
We all seem to know our $#!+.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Lmao!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
We all seem to know our $#!+.

Murff
Old 07-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #7

Only need to now 3 things to be a plumber.

1. S#it rolls down hill
2. Pay Day is on Friday
3. Dont lick your fingers

Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #8

In the future to remove the slack (as you did this time by moving the trailer away) you may be able to contract the hose near the trailer outlet, and have it already expanded near the dump hole. That way when water comes rushing though the slinky there will not be slack in the unsupported area.

The other thing is if the hose that came with your trailer is really cheap, you might want to invest a few bucks into a high quality one (I use Rhino). I am cheap by nature, but there are certain things I don't want to struggle with.

If I am in a close-quarters RV park, or if the sewer connection is on the wrong side of the trailer, I don't keep my sewer connected. I am very organized and efficient about connecting and dumping so I can do it quickly and cleanly for what would otherwise be a sh%&&y job.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
The mere weight of the water running through the hose will cause the hose to sink to the lowest point that doesn't have adequate support. I would think if you support that last section, it will work as you want it to.

It's a lot like a Slinky toy. Pull its ends away from each other and the weight in the center falls to the floor between your hands.

I wouldn't mind having a shorter hose when I occasionally discharge my grey tank into my 22 gallon wastewater tank. I attempt to zigzag the hose on top the wastewater tank before starting. If just one edge or curve of the hose is near an edge (and not supported) when I open the valve, the hose falls off the wastewater tank and sucks the rest of the hose with it.

I use one of those tank covers with a hose fitting on it and then just use a short water hose (kept in a bin and only used for this ) to drain my grey tank into my tote. Takes a couple minutes longer due to the diameter of the hose, but it's a lot easier than dragging out the sewer hose.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #10

I know you didn't ask, but since you admit to being on the learning end of the experience curve, here is something else I do in case you want to work towards it in your repertoire. This relates to dumping with a connection for a separate flush/cleanup utility hose.

I use quick-disconnects (QD) for all my water connections. This makes for a speedy camp setup (think late night arrival), and camp breakdown, and rapid connections during tank dumps. In my mind it also reduces chances of cross-threading and ruining plastic threaded connections, minimizes knuckle scrapes, etc.
  1. Most sites have a single spigot per camper.
  2. Attached to this I quickly twist on a Y-adapter with shutoffs and QD to both directions. This means at a campsite with water supply I always have 2 spigots while everyone else has one.
  3. On one direction of the Y-adapter I snap on pre-connected pressure regulator and freshwater hose.
  4. On the trailer end I spin on a 90 degree elbow already attached to QD fitting onto the city water inlet on the trailer.
  5. Snap on the FW hose, now I have a water supply.

For black ops and utility operations I have a gray collapsible hose. This is lightweight, easy to store, and can never be confused with the fresh water hose.
  1. If dumping, I put on disposable gloves get out the slinky and support
  2. Connect to trailer
  3. Connect to dump over supports (with adapter if possible)
  4. I spin a QD fitting onto the black flush inlet, snap on hose (which already has QD fitting.)
  5. I snap other end of utility hose onto the other side of the spigot Y-connector QD and turn on the valve.
  6. Open black tank valve, let it drain and flush for a while.
  7. Open gray valve, let it drain.
  8. Turn off water at Y, snap off hose from black flush inlet, snap on hose nozzle sprayer (which already has a QD fitting) to working end of utility hose
  9. Close black and gray valves.
  10. Disconnect slinky at trailer, hold it up and rinse thoroughly with utility hose.
  11. Cap trailer end of slinky, accordion it up to dump end.
  12. Disconnect, cap, store in bumper.
  13. If I used the adapter, I rinse it and hold it in one hand and peel off one of my gloves inside out over it to mostly cover it for storage.

I usually disconnect the utility hose if I'm not using it.

It is not possible to completely drain hoses when breaking camp, especially if you are in a hurry. The QDs let me quickly disconnect the hoses, then reattach the two ends of the hose to each other making a closed loop. That way the water does not leak all over my storage area in transit.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
I use one of those tank covers with a hose fitting on it and then just use a short water hose (kept in a bin and only used for this ) to drain my grey tank into my tote. Takes a couple minutes longer due to the diameter of the hose, but it's a lot easier than dragging out the sewer hose.
This is a really good idea, and you just made me re-think something. I never considered a tote because I tow with an SUV and don't want to deal with hauling that. However, a gray water tote with the hose you described...that could cleanly extend my boondock time. Thanks for posting!