Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Brake Adjustment

I think I need to adjust my brakes on the trailer. I am getting a surging happening on light brake applications at slow speed like rolling up to a stop light. I have been towing around for two years with no adjustments done. Does this article sound like the right way to do it? I am mechanicaly inclined it has just been awhile since I have done stuff like this so it will come back once I get going.

http://www.rverscorner.com/Trailer_Brakes.html

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

They have a good video on YouTube, search Electric Trailer Brakes.
That write up is pretty spot on, except I've always been taugh to adjust to a slight drag, not completely free wheeling.
Best regards, Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

I adjusted mine with good results last week. Tighten the shoes against the lining until the wheel is hard to turn - takes a decent effort with one hand - but not locked up. That makes sure both shoes are contacting the drum. Back it off 2 or 3 clicks and you should be okay.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Team

I would suggest making some minor adjustments on your brake controller if you have that option. It may be a quicker first step than adjusting the brakes. My rig has auto adjusting brakes but they can be manually adjusted if needed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Before tearing into your trailer brakes I'd suggest rulling out the TV brakes. What you describe could be warped rotors on the TV or out-of-round drums on the TT. You describe as "surging", if you could also describe it as "pulsing" that you can feel in the pedal then I'd think TV brakes.
Good luck and let the crowd know what you find.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #6

check your controller first. My P2 controller has a button that is very easy to accidently push and activate the boost function which will automatically activate the brakes at a predetermined voltage, even with the lightest touh of the brake petal will cause the brakes to lock or get real grabby (sp).
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Good catch guys. It's true adjustment would be for 1.) brakes are dragging without pressing on the brake or 2.) brakes are not stopping TT or taking too long to stop when brakes are pressed. This sounds like something else on the TV, TT or controller as stated. The Youtube video does give you an inspection and replacement procedure that looks pretty straight forward. The magnet can be wearing into the back plate improperly, a spring could be broke etc. Would probably be a good idea to pull off the hub and take a look see. Please let us know what you find as the culprit. Best regards, Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19 AM   #8

I was under the impression that the brakes are self adjusting, when you hit the brakes backing up they tighten themselves. Is this not true? Maybe I need to check mine haha.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselX View Post
I was under the impression that the brakes are self adjusting, when you hit the brakes backing up they tighten themselves. Is this not true? Maybe I need to check mine haha.
I think you will find that some self adjusting brakes will adjust and some don't. Some will over tighten the brakes and some wont turn the adjusting wheel at all.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

Mine work fine at speed, it is just when you are slow rolling up to a stop the pulse. It is like they are on and off, maybe because the application is too light. The new truck I have has a Primus controller in it and I am going to give it a try before I put in the Curt Reflex that was in my F150. My trailer specs show Dexter self adjusting brakes come standard.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #11

My controller has a setting changeable by turning a thumbwheel that adjusts the amount of current sent to the trailer brakes. When I tow the empty car trailer, the setting has to be very low to prevent wheel lockup even with a light touch on the TV brakes. Then the setting needs to be higher when a car is on the trailer, in order to have sufficient brakes. Then with the 5er, a much higher setting. In all cases, when coming to a slow stop, as at a traffic light, I get some "grabbing" of the trailer brakes when I gently pump the TV brakes. My cure for this is to reach down and manually apply the controller brakes lightly while also applying the TV foot brake. This keeps the trailer brakes from fully releasing and then re-applying, and eliminates the "grabbing".
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote