Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2021, 07:45 PM   #1

cable/satellite connection with this set up?

i have a king omnigo portable antenna that i am trying to use. i am connecting it to the cable/satellite coax input on the outside of the rv. on the inside of the rv, i push the button to go from “ant” to “catv.” then i go to my insignia tv inputs and select “cable from the wall.” i do a channel scan and get nothing. when i run the king antenna wires directly into the tv (bypassing all rv wiring), the antenna works perfectly. so i know its not the antenna. so it must be either the user or the 2021 jayco jayfeather 25rb wiring
Attached Thumbnails
CF8E80DA-539B-4EE3-8A33-4441253F59F8.jpeg  
evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evie View Post
i have a king omnigo portable antenna that i am trying to use. i am connecting it to the cable/satellite coax input on the outside of the rv. on the inside of the rv, i push the button to go from “ant” to “catv.” then i go to my insignia tv inputs and select “cable from the wall.” i do a channel scan and get nothing. when i run the king antenna wires directly into the tv (bypassing all rv wiring), the antenna works perfectly. so i know its not the antenna. so it must be either the user or the 2021 jayco jayfeather 25rb wiring
While I don't have any specific answer, I have a few thoughts to share. Likely the antenna you purchased uses a power amplifier that plugs into the wall somewhere and connects to the antenna wire, perhaps behind the tv. Also, most RV's already have an antenna that is also amplified which does the same thing except in the wall plate.

Both antennas use what is called a power injector (I am assuming the king uses one, not sure), and your wall plate provides power to the rooftop antenna when you hit the antenna power button to it as in your picture. What I have seen on my previous RV is that the power is allowed to the rooftop but blocked from going to the CATV which is likely what is happening to you and your portable antenna is not getting power, in other words the portable antenna is not getting power when using the RV catv connection.

Other than rewiring, I doubt there is any other easy option. I would check and make sure you are connecting to the CATV input and not the CATV output connection that is on the door side of the RV.

One other thought, if yours has a rooftop antenna, and if it is working, I believe that you would get a better signal with that than with the portable antenna. Both use a power amp (... not completely sure about the King portable, but I suspect so), and they are similar in that regard, however the rooftop antenna has the advantage of being higher up and somewhat directional and likely a larger antenna overall.

I am not sure how deep I would go with testing, however if you wanted to go further, the next step I would take would be to take the cover off the tv outlet in your picture and see if you can directly connect into the antenna wire for the CATV bypassing the wall plate switch.

My recommendation though, would be to return the king antenna and use the rooftop antenna and if the rooftop antenna isn't bringing in the channels then to fix that issue instead of using a portable antenna. However, perhaps you have a reason that makes the portable antenna a better option for you.

In any case, best wishes, ~Craig
Old 01-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #3

Try this, hook up your antenna to the cable connection on the back of the camper, not the one by the door under the awning. Turn off the antenna booster on the wall plate. Then leave the tv on antenna and do a scan. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #4

Quote:
so it must be either the user or the 2021 jayco jayfeather 25rb wiring

Unfortunately others have posted that they've found unconnected wiring when they dug into things.

You can cobble up a continuity tester with a battery and a flashlight light bulb (or you can buy one). Battery leads at one end of the cable and light bulb at the other would tell you that the cable is connected, at least. Doing that would let you know immediately how much of a fight you're facing.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply Craig.
Our Jayfeather came with a generic shark fin antenna on the roof. It works when the signal is strong, but not good enough to use when the signal is weak. The switch just needs to be set to "ANT". Our King antenna works well in all conditions so we hook that up when we need to. Like I mentioned, I can hook the King directly to the tv (bypassing all RV wiring and using the amplifier) and it works fine. It just annoys me that I cannot hook it up to the CABLE/SATELLITE input on the outside of the rv to get it to work (yes, it's going into the input and not the output).
I think the wiring is messed up, but that will require a visit to the dealer. ugh..
Old 01-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #6

Yes, I am connecting to the coax input at the back of the rv, not the one under the awning (output). Nothing
Old 01-24-2021, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Craig.
Our Jayfeather came with a generic shark fin antenna on the roof. It works when the signal is strong, but not good enough to use when the signal is weak. The switch just needs to be set to "ANT". Our King antenna works well in all conditions so we hook that up when we need to. Like I mentioned, I can hook the King directly to the tv (bypassing all RV wiring and using the amplifier) and it works fine. It just annoys me that I cannot hook it up to the CABLE/SATELLITE input on the outside of the rv to get it to work (yes, it's going into the input and not the output).
I think the wiring is messed up, but that will require a visit to the dealer. ugh..
What I highly suspect is that your external antenna uses a power booster that isn't getting power. The likely reason it is not getting power is that the switch in your picture only allows power to go to the roof antenna. With that in mind, I would take the cover off the antenna wall plate, see if you have a splitter and\or can determine which wire is for the roof and which is for the external antenna\cable input and try your external antenna again being directly connected to that cable (bypassing the switch). If this works for you then you could consider just using that or adding another outlet there where the current wall plate exists. ~CA
Old 01-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
What I highly suspect is that your external antenna uses a power booster that isn't getting power. The likely reason it is not getting power is that the switch in your picture only allows power to go to the roof antenna. With that in mind, I would take the cover off the antenna wall plate, see if you have a splitter and\or can determine which wire is for the roof and which is for the external antenna\cable input and try your external antenna again being directly connected to that cable (bypassing the switch). If this works for you then you could consider just using that or adding another outlet there where the current wall plate exists. ~CA
I will try this!
Old 01-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
I will try this!
If this doesn't work for you, then to move forward your best bet would be to use a VOM meter (voltage ohm meter). In fact many RV'rs highly recommend one anyway (I recommend one as well) for troubleshooting many RV electrical issues (if you don't already own one). If you already have one then after you test what I suggested, I can give you guidance of how to use a vom meter to determine why your external antenna is not working. ~CA