Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #1

Question Camera inside my RV

I would like to put a wireless or wired camera inside my RV so we would keep an eye on our pets while we are gone somewhere. I would like to access the camera from my Android phone. All the campgrounds we visit have Wi-Fi so that not a issue. I'm assuming I would need to pickup a wireless router that I would plug the camera into. Is this the correct way to do this. I have asked around but can't get a straight answer on how to make this happen. Any help will be really appreciated.

Happy Camping...
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

Look on Amazon for a Wyzecam. It's a wireless camera. You connect to the wifi network your phone is on by holding the camera up to your phone. You would do this at each new campground. I don't know how it would act though if you have to open a browser window to accept an agreement.

Another option is a Netgear Arlo Go camera through Verizon or AT&T. It transmits data over the cellular network. You can't view real time video though, only motion recordings.
sasiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #3

What I did:

Any router with an external antenna, then remove the OEM antenna and purchase a high gain and feed the wire through your cab and mount... well anywhere you like really. The one I have has a magnetic base so it fixes to my roof. I plug the router into my rear AC plug (if you dont have one just get a pod that plugs into a 12v dc and converts it to AC). Create a wifi network. I make mine hidden so others cant see it.

I use a wireless camera in the trailer. Again, as long as it has an external antenna, you can swap that with a high gain or just put an extension wire in. Its mounted on the roof (fed the wire through a vent) and I have it powered through the 12v DC of the trailer.

Join the wireless camera to the wireless network you created in your truck with the router in step 1. Join your phone to it (after you installed the app) and voila!

I went a little further and set my router up to use a 4G WAN in the truck as well, but that's not necessary.

I am sure there are more elegant boxed solutions, but this is what I came up with using scraps in my IT pile.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #4

I guess I should add- the antennas need to be omnidirectional.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #5

We took a very simple route. We have a Yi Dome camera. We don't have a router in the trailer. I use my Samsung phone's hotspot as the wifi/router. We leave my phone behind and view the image through the camera's app on my wifes iPhone.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote