Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #1

Cameras

I have a 2017 Eagle Ht 27.5 rlts that has the backup camera prep package. I wanna buy a 2 camera wireless system and put one on the rear of the 5th wheel and put the other on the front somewhere by the pin box to help with backing the truck into the camper. Has anyone tried this before and if they have how would I snake a wire from the camera power switch in the battery box to the pin box ? Also where should I mount the camera ? Thanks for any help
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

Please help guys I have a 1006 deluxe when I plug into ac power everything works but when I switch to DC fuse blows any ideas? Yes polarity is right . Any help would be appreciated
Bossnjodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
I have a 2017 Eagle Ht 27.5 rlts that has the backup camera prep package. I wanna buy a 2 camera wireless system and put one on the rear of the 5th wheel and put the other on the front somewhere by the pin box to help with backing the truck into the camper. Has anyone tried this before and if they have how would I snake a wire from the camera power switch in the battery box to the pin box ? Also where should I mount the camera ? Thanks for any help
Hi
I added backup lights to my trailer. First disconnect from shore power and physically disconnect battery. To get from the pin box I disconnected the molded wire pair for the brakes from the 7 pin wiring. Tied a pull wire to the pin box end and pulled the wires back into the battery box area. I then tied my wire for the backup lights to that pull wire and the molded brake wire pair. Then used the pull wire to pull it back up to pin box. No clamps holding the wires up in the 5th area. I then ran my backup wires to the lights on rear of trailer using the corriplast screws to hold the wire loom with loop fasteners. Worked great!

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

[QUOTE=RoadrunnerII;642088]Hi
I added backup lights to my trailer. First disconnect from shore power and physically disconnect battery. To get from the pin box I disconnected the molded wire pair for the brakes from the 7 pin wiring. Tied a pull wire to the pin box end and pulled the wires back into the battery box area. I then tied my wire for the backup lights to that pull wire and the molded brake wire pair. Then used the pull wire to pull it back up to pin box. No clamps holding the wires up in the 5th area. I then ran my backup wires to the lights on rear of trailer using the corriplast screws to hold the wire loom with loop fasteners. Worked great! The long winded explanation is for how to get the wire from battery box up to the pin box

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

I see what your saying about pulling the wire through from pin box to battery box but my wire harness appears to be spiral taped(not sure of exact term) on both ends. Maybe I can try to pull on a single wire to even see if it moves by itself. Thanks I’ll give it a try
Old 05-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

RoadrunnerII I tried every wire individually from the pin box to the battery box area. I could actually put a hand on both ends and tried to pull back and forth to see if they moved and no go. It feels as though they may be secured somewhere in the middle. I’m back to square one but thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #7

Guess I got lucky on the Eagle

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 05-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #8

If you are looking for a camera hookup for hooking up to trailer why not put the camera on the truck rather than pin box? Or just tie it into the battery charge wire in the 7 pin cable harness but up at the kingpin. It should have 12volts on it. Use a switch of your liking to turn power on to this camera when hooking up

Just my 1/2 cent thought

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #9

Using power and a toggle switch may be my next move. I have a 2017 Ford F-250 which has Sync 3 and has a tailgate camera but not in the 3rd brake light. There is no wiring at the 3rd brake light so I would have to run all new wires through a crew cab plus the $4-500 for everything I need to work with Sync. Just thought it would be easy to snake a wire but as usual I am wrong lol
Old 05-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #10

So another thought. Use a switch and relay to switch the rearview camera video feed to a camera of your choice. That you mount at front of your pickup box pointing at your hitch. Camera would need 12volt which you could source in either truck fuse panel or off the trailer wiring or for that matter the tailgate camera 12volt. Using the relay you could power the camera and switch the video feed back and forth. I think all you need is a dpdt type relay. Power relay and it switches camera input. Put the switch in cab of truck or use upfitter switch if you have them.

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 05-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #11

That might be something to look at but I would probably need a little help with hooking it all up. Only other draw back would be is that the truck is a lease and I would have to make sure everything goes back to factory when lease is up.
Thanks for all you thoughts and help