Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Carlisle Radial Trail RH

Well, I now believe that Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires are good quality. In this post (clicky) I mentioned that I had bought them. Now I've got almost 12,000 miles on them and have not had any issues. I do have a TPMS and keep them properly inflated; I'll drive 70 MPH all day if its a legal speed and the traffic, weather and road conditions permit it.

The tires I buy in the future will either be Carlisle or Maxxis depending on whichever is cheaper and more available to me.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Good to hear!! They have been on my radar for sometime. My local tire folks don't have a good supplier for Maxxis and my choices have been between Goodyear and Carlisle! Been leaning toward Carlisle because of where they are made.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Good to hear!! They have been on my radar for sometime. My local tire folks don't have a good supplier for Maxxis and my choices have been between Goodyear and Carlisle! Been leaning toward Carlisle because of where they are made.
Check it out cuz I believe it's China...not that there's anything wrong with that but I've not heard anyone say they want to buy tires because they are manufactured in China.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Check it out cuz I believe it's China...not that there's anything wrong with that but I've not heard anyone say they want to buy tires because they are manufactured in China.
Truthfully, I've gotten over the anti Chinese thing because it really has to do with how good the manufacturing controls are within the company and not the country. There was a time when I had a hissy fit over chinese built tire when I had two new ones blow on the same trip. I realized my wrath should have been toward my tire dealer that I had trusted for years. He was well aware that I don't cut corners on tires. I had bought two sets of 4 and he assured me that he had been selling them for years and didn't have any issues. Both sets were trash. Made one more trip to that dealer to let him know that it was his last sale from us. Carlisle like everyone else now has a plant in China. Don't know which ones are built there. I bought two 16 inch 10 ply Carlisle trailer tire 6 months ago that were made in the USA.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Well, I now believe that Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires are good quality..... snip .....The tires I buy in the future will either be Carlisle or Maxxis depending on whichever is cheaper and more available to me.
X2

My Carlisle RH's have been performing great as well...., a little over 4 years.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I bought two 16 inch 10 ply Carlisle trailer tire 6 months ago that were made in the USA.
My four Load E 225/75 15 tires I purchased this past January say "Made In China". I guess size does matter
Chinese tires don't bother me either.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Site Team

I don't have Carsiles but had a bad opinion of them in the past for rv tires. The Radial Trail RH and peoples results with it have changed my opinion lately.

I don't think that all tires from China are junk but they have to have a track record and be backed by a company with a good reputation.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #8

Looks like my tire is losing air.

Here's one of the Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires that was on my trailer; it's seeping just a little bit of air.

This tire was on the right rear axle. I have a TPMS and keep my tires at 80-PSI; while the TPMS worked, my first knowledge of a problem was a rather loud explosive noise caused by the tire in the picture.

It is certainly possible that the tire sustained some road damage somewhere, but none that I remember. It was the rear tire on the right hand side; seems like the front tire would usually be the one to get road hazard damage. I check my tires for issues before moving the trailer and at each fuel fill up (and have found two bulging ready to pop tires by doing so). In this case, I had no clue something was about to happen. The tire has about 15,000 towing miles on it and was installed in June, 2015.

I'm just filing this happening - my first tire blowout ever. I've bought four new Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. I'll post my experience with them here.
Attached Thumbnails
tiresmall.jpg  
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #9

Remember that ST rated tires are only rated to 65mph they can blow out at higher speeds. I had 4 carsile tires separate around the side wall to the tread where one could see the steel cords, lucky only one blewout. I use to drive at the speed limit ie 70 mph.now u don't go over 65 when towing.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

Those of you that like Carlisle Radial RH .. I have 3 that I will make you a good deal on... 2 years old over 1/2 tread left... 205-75-15's always properly inflated and never run over 65mph
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #11

I put the newer HDs on and just got back from a 3000 km trip and they towed very well. We drove through some very strong winds with little or no sway. (our Jayfeather 242 is a low trailer however). They are narrower and have a much stiffer sidewall then the GY Marathons they replaced, if they last I will be a "happy camper!"
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Here's one of the Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires that was on my trailer; it's seeping just a little bit of air.

This tire was on the right rear axle. I have a TPMS and keep my tires at 80-PSI; while the TPMS worked, my first knowledge of a problem was a rather loud explosive noise caused by the tire in the picture.

It is certainly possible that the tire sustained some road damage somewhere, but none that I remember. It was the rear tire on the right hand side; seems like the front tire would usually be the one to get road hazard damage. I check my tires for issues before moving the trailer and at each fuel fill up (and have found two bulging ready to pop tires by doing so). In this case, I had no clue something was about to happen. The tire has about 15,000 towing miles on it and was installed in June, 2015.

I'm just filing this happening - my first tire blowout ever. I've bought four new Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. I'll post my experience with them here.
RV,

Sounds like everyone made it out ok considering the blowout. Glad to hear. Hopefully the trailer did as well!!!

As for the front vs rear tire being damaged, from what I have been told is the front tire will kick up a nail or screw (or whatever it may be...) that's laying on the road, and you can guess where it ends up the majority of time once it is "mobile", yes sir the rear tire!!!

Keep us posted how the HD's work out for you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottybird View Post
Remember that ST rated tires are only rated to 65mph they can blow out at higher speeds. I had 4 carsile tires separate around the side wall to the tread where one could see the steel cords, lucky only one blewout. I use to drive at the speed limit ie 70 mph.now u don't go over 65 when towing.
There are actually some ST tires that have a higher speed rating from what I have heard, with Carlisle being one of them per the gentleman I spoke with at Carlisle about a year ago. The speed rating does vary a little depending on size: I think 14" was the same as the 15" RH's (he said the new tire would be the same as well) which is 81mph, and the 16" RH is 75mph if I recall correctly.

While I don't suggest going faster than about 65ish, it is nice knowing there is a "reserve" between travelled speed and the speed rating of the tire.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:09 AM   #13

"Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.
Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity."

need-a-vacation your right, but you need to look at the system, not just the tire, in general it's 65. When my carsile blew out I was lucky we were home, parked just sitting. Looking at the three remaining tires I saw the steel cords these were 185/75R-13ST very hard to find. Our new camper has 205/R-14ST, I should have ordered the BAJA package just to get the 235/75R-15ST.
Knottybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottybird View Post
"Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.
Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity."

need-a-vacation your right, but you need to look at the system, not just the tire, in general it's 65. When my carsile blew out I was lucky we were home, parked just sitting. Looking at the three remaining tires I saw the steel cords these were 185/75R-13ST very hard to find. Our new camper has 205/R-14ST, I should have ordered the BAJA package just to get the 235/75R-15ST.
But with the p*** poor brakes that RV's have I don't think I would want to drive at over 65 mph
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #15

In post #8 on 10-12-2016, I noted that I bought 4 new Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. In the almost 18 months since then, I have put 17,720 miles on those tires and have had no issues whatsoever with them. I do use a TPMS and I keep the cold tire pressure at 80 PSI always. I have used these tires in the depths of Texas summer, and I do not drive especially slow.

The tread is showing some wear. I think there is a chance that I'll have to replace these tires due to treadwear, and not blow outs. A miracle for an ST tire.

By the way, I have no financial interest of any sort with any tire or tire dealer.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #16

Picked this tire up at D.Tire speed rated 87 mph!Discounts website has a compare section.Have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see speed a weight ratings!They had a bunch of camper tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Hartland tire.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote