Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

charging bats

Instead of gens. why not just fire up tow vehicle and plugin to recharge bat. in TT? If vehicle's bat is fully charged it should be ok on alt. and be fairly quick versus builtin coaches converter. Alt. puts out more volts to!
Afterall when you leave camp ,hooked up, depleted bat. is being charged plus your driving load needs
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #2

The most current you can expect coming form this idea is around 6AMPs or so going back into your trailer battery. This is due to the long small size gauge wiring going between the truck alternator and your trailer battery. This is great for topping off the trailer battery but will take a very long time to re-charge one.

This is what PROGRESSIVE DYNAMICS says on how long it takes to charge a 0% discharged battery (10.5VDC) using a 55AMP converter. Each battery in the bank will demand a 18-20AMP charge source.

"Progressive Dynamics ran this test on the amount of time it took a PD9155 (55-amp) converter/charger set to three different output voltages to recharge a 125 AH (Amp Hour) battery after it was fully discharged to 10.5-volts.

14.4-VOLTS (Boost Mode) – Returned the battery to 90% of full charge in approximately 3-hours. The battery reached full charge in approximately 11 hours.

13.6-VOLTS (Normal Mode) – Required 40-hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 78-hours to reach full charge.

13.2-VOLTS (Storage Mode) – Required 60-hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 100-hours to reach full charge."

This is battery charging science at play here - not many ways to get around it (if any).. My rule is to have 14.4VDC with a DC CURRENT Capacity of 17-20AMPS per battery being charged if I want to get it done in a quick three hour run time. If you don't have this much current available for each battery in the bank it will still charge them but will take longer.

If your truck alternator setup will give you 14.4VDC with the capacity of 18-20AMPS per battery then YES it will recharge your battery in a quick three hour time period...

Just my thoughts here
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote