Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Charging iPhone on battery

We're taking our Jayco 1007 out west for two weeks, no hookups. Just got my first smartphone (welcome to the 21st century), an iPhone. Can I charge it off the 12v battery using the onboard electrical outlets, and if so, how significant is the draw? (assuming that battery is reasonably charged, of course.)
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

I think they make 12v usb adapters that plug into car cigarette lighters.
or you can try small inverter
Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbum View Post
I think they make 12v usb adapters that plug into car cigarette lighters.
That's what I use to recharge my iPhone when not on the grid.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

The bad news: Your 1007 pop up probably doesn't have a 12 volt outlet, as they are usually only installed in campers for a TV hookup.
The good news: Your car or tow vehicle certainly has one.
The even better news: buy one of these at Walmart. They are dirt cheap. (Under $2)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/INSTEN-USB...ingMethod=p13n
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #5

You should charge from your 12 volt supply. ( cigarette lighter USB adaptor that will reduce voltage to 5v. Very standard device) I would not invert DC to AC just to convert back to DC to charge your Iphone.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
The bad news: Your 1007 pop up probably doesn't have a 12 volt outlet, as they are usually only installed in campers for a TV hookup.
The good news: Your car or tow vehicle certainly has one.
The even better news: buy one of these at Walmart. They are dirt cheap.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/INSTEN-USB...-Plug/28879878
Exactly

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
You should charge from your 12 volt supply. ( cigarette lighter USB adaptor that will reduce voltage to 5v. Very standard device) I would not invert DC to AC just to convert back to DC to charge your Iphone.
Yes, an inverter (DC>AC>DC) would not be efficient at all.
I can get about 36 hours on my iPhone without a charge depending on how much I use it. The DATA (e-mail, txt messages, web surfing) seems to draw the battery down the fastest. The Bride gets several days (3-4) on her iPhone but doesn't receive e-mail on it and does little surfing. How and how often do you plan to charge the TT battery?
I think charging in the car might be the best choice.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #8

I know you guys will have fun on your two week trip out west. Being a POPUP guy since 2008 we started adding things like smart mode converter/charger, more batteries and heavier battery cables, changer out the lights for LEDs, and installed Inverter.

I am not a big fan of using the DC CIGARETTE LIGHTER sockets and plugs for things that draw more than 5AMPS for any length of time... All of those cheap SOCKETS and PLUGS you find at the autoparts places are just way to cheap designed to hold up. They get hot after just a few times being used and melt down things for me at least.

Going with the PURE SIGN WAVE Inverter was the way to go for us. I installed the INVERTER as close to the battery terminals as I could get it and still be inside my POPUP. Since the INVERTER draws consider amount of DC current I used the proper FUSE PROTECTION to protect the wiring from melting down. The INVERTERS usually have two 120VAC receptacles on them so we ran a couple of HD 120VAC extension cords with multi-head receptacles on their ends with one cord going to the cabinet top where the Home entertainment items were located and the other cord to a table top close to the tent bed end we sleep in. All of the HD 120VAC extension cords are hidden from view and only the multi-head 120VAC receptacles on the back of cabinet or table is visible.

Once you figure out having 120VAC using the INVERTER works out so great you will most likely want to add more items. Being in a POPUP is not the best trailer to be in when the WX goes bad on you. It is nice to be able to check the WX in your local camping area over the OTA NATL BROADCAST digital high def TV using a BATWING type antenna and HDTV setup. The NOAH WX RADIO is also a must have item for us as well... Sitting in the POPUPs with the wind up around 40-50MPH is not much fun. Got to plan for those times to be safe...

I started out with a cheap MSW 150W Inverter and found out it didn't like almost anything I plugged into it. Any thing with transformers or motors gets hot for sure... Don't even hold a electric lap blanket in your hand. They seems to go up in blue smoke before you plug them in haha...

Then we went with a 300 PSW Inverter and that solved everything electronic wise.

Being a high wattage consumption bunch like all other ham radio guys I know we finally ended up with a good AIMS 600WATT Pure Sine Wave Inverter and are very happy with knowing that anything we plug into it will operate without going up in blue smoke. This cost $149 from AMAZON.

We paid our dues a long time back TENT CAMPING in the AZ high country using flashlights and candles etc. With all of the modern appliances and electronics etc now available everywhere you go its not hard to start wanting to use them if they are available. We light-up outside sitting around the firepit and under the awning enjoying the outdoors every evening. Always have a fresh ground coffee beans brewed pot of coffee and usually some country music on the POPUP radio outside stereo speakers until lights out around 10PM each night...

We do the all outdoor things during the day along the forest trails, fishing the mountain streams, hiking the trails, taking alot of photos, poking buffaloes, etc When we get back to camp its nice to have a good country cooked dinner and watch alittle TV, check the local WX, check in with the kids, surf the internet some, and maybe pay some bills online... Then get a good nights sleep starting around 11PM... Then usually at 8AM the next morning during breakfast we fire up our 2KW quiet mode generator and connect the 30A Trailer Shore Power cable to the 120VAC generator receptacle using a RV30A-15A long DOGBONE adapter (WALMART) which will re-charge our batteries back up to their 90% charge state in a three hour generator run time. This fits right in with most places we go to that has generator run time restrictions in place. Once the batteries are back up to their 90% charge state then we are good to go for the next day/night run off the batteries.

This is our daily routine for camping off the power grid in our OFF-ROAD POPUP since 2008 and we are pretty much very successful doing it now and it all becomes second nature to us... Our camping setup looks very much like we do at regular campgrounds with electric except we don't have the air conditioner running.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
Site Team

If you are in the boonies you may be able to disable some features on the phone that draw the batt down.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #10

I believe an iPhone draws about a maximum of 1.5 amps. Should be no problem whatsoever with a car socket charger.
One costs $2, the PSW inverter costs $150. If all you need is to charge the iPhone, it should be an easy choice.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #11

Few things will draw your phone battery down faster than hunting for a signal. If you're out in the boonies, and you have very weak signal, I wouldn't expect your phone to make it much past lunch. The more features you can turn off, the better. As for charging, I would do it in the TV; its battery is easily recharged with a short sight-seeing trip.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #12

Thanks all for the input, I will stick to charging in the vehicle. Roy you are a marvelous fount of ingenuity, I wish I lived next door to you. But with your TV, lights, stereo, generator -- I hope I never camp next to you!
Rapidly is offline   Reply With Quote