Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #1

Cheaper cell data because of starlink!?

So, I’m thinking once starlink is ambiguous, y'all think mobile router data service will be much cheaper?

I hope so!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
So, I’m thinking once starlink is ambiguous, y'all think mobile router data service will be much cheaper?

I hope so!
Probably not. They're slightly different use cases, due to the quite small size of mobile routers versus the much larger and less portable size of starlink dishes.

Honestly, I hope both drop prices some from current state, but I highly doubt that will happen.
JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:01 PM   #3

Nope,, in fact, expect cell data to go up in cost.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:35 PM   #4

And right now it seems to be area specific so using it as a mobile device may not work.
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:56 PM   #5

You guys in the USA have amazing data pricing. In Canada we get raked over the coals!
Old 04-30-2022, 09:04 PM   #6
RPR

How much competition is there in Canada?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #7

I looked into a roaming data plan hotspot and found they were pricey!
Instead, since I use T-Mobile I switched from the Magenta over 55 plan to the Magenta Plus over 55 plan. Cost went from $70 including taxes and fees and also includes Netflix and 5 gigs of hotspot data to Plus that costs $90 a month with 40 gigs. If I can get wifi, fine, it not 40 gigs goes a long way. Plus after 40 gigs they slow me down but still have internet for email, just not fast enough for videos.

On the question of data prices going down. With Biden's inflation nothing is going down. My son works in the cell phone industry and told me all the carriers are spending billions! to keep up with the increase in data demand on the networks.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingva View Post
And right now it seems to be area specific so using it as a mobile device may not work.
Starlink is no longer area specific and roaming is on and working for people 1000’s of miles from their service address. My home location was not available until late 2022 but after reading some tips on a Facebook Starlink groups I ordered it and had it in 5 days Averaging 100-200mbps.

There are some that are even using while traveling with it permanently mounted on the roof. Many are also using it on sailboats while moving.
Attached Thumbnails
F18AEF6A-5334-4301-9909-EE39A4CABD39.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Instead, since I use T-Mobile I switched from the Magenta over 55 plan to the Magenta Plus over 55 plan. Cost went from $70 including taxes and fees and also includes Netflix and 5 gigs of hotspot data to Plus that costs $90 a month with 40 gigs. If I can get wifi, fine, it not 40 gigs goes a long way. Plus after 40 gigs they slow me down but still have internet for email, just not fast enough for videos.

On the question of data prices going down. With Biden's inflation nothing is going down. My son works in the cell phone industry and told me all the carriers are spending billions! to keep up with the increase in data demand on the networks.

Yep with Trump and Biden our economy really went to hell. That's why all the other countries are doing so much better. Trump was giving away money to keep the economy going.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:23 AM   #10

Well hopefully Teslas new smart phone, “Pi”, running off of Starlink, will change everything!

https://youtu.be/wOOYf6cM_-U
Old 05-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

Wow, that seems pretty high. I've had Consumer Cellular, and they just lowered their price again. Unlimited data (up to 50 gigabyte, then it's possibly throttled down) and unlimited phone calling and text for $55, additional 5% off if you have an AARP membership.

I used them for years and only had a problem using my phone as a hotspot in one campground that was in the middle of a forest.

I'm retiring that plan and going with their minimum plan now, 1 gig data and unlimited phone/text for $20 a month. I just set up a Verizon LTE internet gateway in my house that's true unlimited data for $50 per month. It works really well, speeds up to 35mbps, which is plenty fast for my use.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Wow, that seems pretty high. I've had Consumer Cellular, and they just lowered their price again. Unlimited data (up to 50 gigabyte, then it's possibly throttled down) and unlimited phone calling and text for $55, additional 5% off if you have an AARP membership.

I used them for years and only had a problem using my phone as a hotspot in one campground that was in the middle of a forest.

I'm retiring that plan and going with their minimum plan now, 1 gig data and unlimited phone/text for $20 a month. I just set up a Verizon LTE internet gateway in my house that's true unlimited data for $50 per month. It works really well, speeds up to 35mbps, which is plenty fast for my use.
Just for comparison, ATT has a $30 per month plan (prepaid for the year) which provides 8gb data and rollover data of one month (so possibly 16gb data if you didn't use any data the prior month). ATT also has the unlimited phone/text with this plan and the speed is dependent with your location but usually for me never much more than 30~40 mpbs, and more often lower. ~CA
Old 05-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #13
RPR

Starling is a big benefit for certain users. Our daughter and son in laws property has mountains around them high enough so the cell signal is very poor. The cable companies will not run a line to them due to not enough users on their road. Politicians have been “working” on the situation for ever. Daughter works from home and is on the computer constantly so Starlink has been a big benefit for them.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #14

Sorry, but those data plans mentioned above wouldn’t cut it for us when we were full time. We would use, on average, 200GB a month!

I was paying $160 a month for Nomad internet, it was truly unlimited! But their customer service is not very good at all! In fact my router stopped working, due to something on their behalf, and I wasn’t aware it went out because we were staying at my daughters, and weren’t using it for a brief period. Nomad notified me via email that they shipped me a new, updated router as a cutesy, this email was sent to me well after they shipped it, and it went TO MY OLD S&B ADDRESS that we sold over a year ago!

After trying for a few days to get a hold of someone via emails, I told them “I’m a nomad! Your service is for nomads, it’s in your company name! They clearly don’t know their customer base! When I finally was able to talk to someone by phone to explain the above, there was no understanding, no apology, nothing but, “you have to accept the router we sent you, cancel service and ship it back” Really! I was 2,000 miles away from that address! Luckily I had a neighbor intercept it and he did a return for me. Needless to say, I canceled my service with them! I do not like bad customer service, PERIOD!

now We only need mobile internet for our 40-50 day long trips that we are planning once a year. I’m still searching for an option for this period. For the occasional 1 week or weekend trip, I’ll use the tethering plan I have with ATT on my iPhone.

But I’m always on the lookout for something more permanent and cheaper!