Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to BluJay
CO Alarm Mystery

Just snoozin' away on the last nite of our final trip for this season when (at 1:30 a.m.) the CO alarm goes off. !!

Once I got it silenced & DW got the door/windows open, we realized that there was no possible source of CO in the trailer (propane was off, and we were running the same small ceramic heater we've been using for a number of years).

Any thoughts, folks?

BluJay
Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV = 2013 Toyota Highlander
BluJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #2

Expired and or malfunctioning CO detector? They have a lifespan
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:41 AM   #3

Are you plugged in to power or boon-docking? A low 12v battery will make it go off from what I've read.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 AM   #4

Every one I have ever had or even heard about fails/wears out, etc. in the middle of the night. How do the manufacturers do that since these things don't have a clock in them, OR DO THEY?

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

We have had that issue on several occasion when parked next to vehicles with engines or generators running like at the flying J's. After we leave the detector works fine. So I don't know if it has something to do with voltage or what. We eventually bought a battery one also and when it happens the portable one doesn't show anything as it has a digital display. It's usually like 3am when it goes off. So it is still a mystery.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

I've had it happen to me a few times. It's always been a low battery issue.

Face value: $.02

James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Lp

Been trying to locate same issue as just installed new one in motorhome a year ago turned out to be the stuff my bride put in to make fresh pretty smell was in a small vase on counter in kitchen looks like a bunch of small sticks in vase the company said that and spices can cause problems ours sits in garage took about a week each time to go off
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #8

Temps go down at night, weak battery becomes less able, alarm chirps.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Easy check

Stick meter on in am I thought batteries too mine were six years old by the way I put the extender in the batteries first time I've gotten that long out of a set usually less then 4
Old 10-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #10

Same problem here. We've now gone through TWO Safe-T-Alert CO detector alarm failures on our 2011 22FB camper. SAME identical symptoms. The alarm starts blasting away at some awful ungodly early morning hour when you're fast asleep. When the first one went at the 3 year mark we called the mfg, MTI Industries, and the customer service rep that we spoke with said that they're "usually" good for 5 years. But not always. She said that at 3 years the product was well out of 12-month warranty period and thus there was nothing they could do for us. She also said that no one else has EVER reported such a problem. Yeah, ... "wink wink"!! So we replaced it.

After that, the replacement unit started blaring away again at 2AM at just about the 14 month mark. I couldn't believe it. So again I called MTI and spoke with a customer service rep whom I told that the unit failed at 14 months. The lady I spoke with REALLY seemed uninterested at my recurring failures and could care less at my dilemma. She said, "Well, the units are ONLY warranted for 12 months. So I guess you probably should just replace your detector every year just be sure." Amazing. At once a year that becomes a cost issue as far as I'm concerned. Yes we were connected to line power when both failures occurred and the DC voltage at the detector power input looks fine.

So my question is: Is there perhaps another manufacturer of a CO/LP alarm/detector other than MTI Safe-T-Alert that others have found to be a bit more reliable than this particular brand? At the moment there is no alarm unit installed in our camper. I know it's probably prudent to have one installed. But with our typical camping we rarely, if ever, use the gas stove and for any heating requirements we've relied on one of those small ceramic type heaters which work just fine. So under those conditions I'm not overly concerned. Any suggestions?
Ed
Steamboat_Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

I spoke to lady who gave me the tips I posted room freshener ,spices some types of toilet. Chemicals mine stopped after removing air freshener, it's been 4 weeks no noise .i checked mine even with the op off before calling them
Old 10-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #12

Do you have a dog? Someone in the JOF said their dog's flatulence (methane is one of the gasses expelled) set theirs off. A stretch maybe, but ????
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
Site Team

Where did you buy the replacement? Reason I ask is I bought one off ebay that was over a year old when I got it. Sent it back and got another.

They do go bad and I have NEVER heard of anyone getting any type of reimbursement if it is over 1 year from the date stamp on the back.

I have a 3 go bad over the years and just bite the bullet and replace it. Hopefully you just got a bad one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote