Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 131
CO Detector Help

Hi,

We have a 2012 Jayco 308 RETS sitting on a seasonal site. Our CO detector went at the end of last years season.

I just replaced it with the same make & model (Safe T Alert). After hooking it up it it flashed green by design. 15 seconds into it it started flashing Green & Red indicating "Low Voltage".

The battery is 4 years old however I would think being plugged in the converter would supply proper voltage to the CO detector.

Any thought. Bad Battery which I maintain in the off season or bad CO Detector.

Thanks for all the help.
__________________

308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
us71na's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McKean, PA
Posts: 428
If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the battery. It should be close to 12.7 volts if the battery is good and fully charged with no load on it. Then check the voltage available at your CO detector. If the voltage is lower than 12 volts, you probably have a bad connection somewhere. Typically this occurs right at the battery or at the 30 amp fuses right at the battery. Any corrosion at the battery terminals of the fuse holders is bad.

To check the detector itself, remove it from the wall and connect it right to the battery with some short pieces of wire. If it behaves normally you know it is good.
__________________

__________________
2011 Skylark 21FKV
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the battery. It should be close to 12.7 volts if the battery is good and fully charged with no load on it. Then check the voltage available at your CO detector. If the voltage is lower than 12 volts, you probably have a bad connection somewhere. Typically this occurs right at the battery or at the 30 amp fuses right at the battery. Any corrosion at the battery terminals of the fuse holders is bad.

To check the detector itself, remove it from the wall and connect it right to the battery with some short pieces of wire. If it behaves normally you know it is good.
I have access to a volt meter so I'll check that at. The CO detector is fed by a black & white wire. I'm assuming the 12 volts should be on the black wire.

Thanks for your help.
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
did you get a good connection on the wires?
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
did you get a good connection on the wires?
Yes. Good connection. We won't be back up to camp for a couple weeks. Sounds like I should check voltage to determine if that's the culprit.

I would think when plugged in the converter would apply proper voltage regardless of battery condition.

Thanks for responding.
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville, AL - Home Base
Posts: 2,524
This time last year (as soon as the weather started warming up) my CO/Propane detector started going off. Nothing I could do would silence it other than keep all windows open and ceiling vent fans running. I did have a foul odor inside. After driving myself crazy I turned off the propane completely and disconnected the detector. It finally occurred to me what the small was. A critter of some type crawled into my underbelly and died. When the weather warmed up the methane gas from decomposition set off the detector. I never found the remains, but after about 10 days the smell went away and I turned my propane back on and rewired the detector. I did have a colony of chipmunks living around me. They are all gone now thanks to a .22 pellet rifle and a nice scope.
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
This time last year (as soon as the weather started warming up) my CO/Propane detector started going off. Nothing I could do would silence it other than keep all windows open and ceiling vent fans running. I did have a foul odor inside. After driving myself crazy I turned off the propane completely and disconnected the detector. It finally occurred to me what the small was. A critter of some type crawled into my underbelly and died. When the weather warmed up the methane gas from decomposition set off the detector. I never found the remains, but after about 10 days the smell went away and I turned my propane back on and rewired the detector. I did have a colony of chipmunks living around me. They are all gone now thanks to a .22 pellet rifle and a nice scope.

Interesting. I believe this is why my CO Detector failed last year. Opened up camp, trailer had a bad odor. One of my mouse traps caught one.

They smell went away but the detector would not reset. I install the new one with same problem. Voltage issue it says.
__________________

308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.