Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

COAX Connections in 27dsrl

I am attempting to hook up my remote Winegard MP1 satellite dish in my 2015 27DSRL. Under the TV are 3 wall plates. One has the antenna amplifier switch and a coax connection to the TV. The center wall plate has 2 coax connectors which are jumpered together. The right wall plate is for 120v plugins. The dealer is telling me to use satellite that I need to remove the coax jumper and turn off the antenna amplifier switch and connect the satellite to the outside of the camper. I know a simple wiring diagram from Jayco is out of the question but does anyone know how the TT is wired for coax? The Winegard antenna manual shows the amplified switch is also a coax switch which makes sense as a method to switch from antenna to satellite but why remove the jumper too? Real puzzle as to what the jumper is for. The dealer has no idea. I can blindly do what the dealer told me and it probably will work but I would like to get a better understanding for what is going on.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

So the way it works simply. The cable from the outside of the camper runs to the back of the "A" jack. The back of the "B" jack runs to the "cable" input in the back of the plate on the right. With the jumper installed and hooked up to park cable, the signal runs to the antenna box on the right. Pushing the button will select between your antenna on the roof or cable.

Connect your dish to the external jack, remove the jumper and connect the receiver SAT in to port A. HDMI from the receiver to the TV. If you have more than one TV and your Satellite receiver has an RF out, connect that to port "B" which will then push the signal to the rest of the camper's TV's.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #3

Very good explanation Nylyon. Heck, even I could understand that. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
We have something similar to this except our button says it is for power going to the antenna. There are no instructions on my wall plates. If I hook up to park cable and leave the jumper on what would happen. Would the antenna override the cable or vise versa? My antenna manual does not say anything about it.
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #5

The great thing about the way this is architected is you can come up with a lot of "hybrid" solutions for TV. The simplest is to leave the jumper in place. When you do this you've connected the external connector to the "primary" wall plate (the one on the right in the picture above). Here's how you connect in this scenario:

1. Attach park cable to exterior connector
2. Connect cable from the primary wall plate (one on right) to the TV connector.

To operate:

1. For park cable, depress the button on primary wall plate until the indicator light is OFF.
2. Scan for channels on your TV.
3. Grab drink of choice and enjoy.

4. For Antenna, depress the button until the indicator light is ON
5. Scan for channels on your TV
6. Grab drink of choice and enjoy
Old 05-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #6

For those who don't have the instructions on the wall plate:

Old 05-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

Ha... what do ya know. I had drawn a simple cable wiring diagram a while back. Completely forgot about this.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #8

Thanks nylyon! Solved my issue before I even had to post the question! I wish they included the labels on my unit! My dealer had no idea what this loop was for. I'm sure someone in service knew, but none from service was there when I was at the dealer to ask.

Thanks again for the clear explanation!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #9

I wish I had read this a couple of weeks ago before our trip. I think this is how I finally was able to get it going (tons of trial and error), except my directv box has no HDMI so I was trying to get it going through coax. I was able to get the satellite working with the receiver, but could not get the coax to go through to the TV. I ended up just going directly to the TV with a coax from the receiver. The strange thing is I could get no sound out of the TV. I was able to get sound from the TV with a blue-ray player so I know the TV works - via HDMI. I thought maybe it was something to do with the horrible JVC stereo - like it had to be on or in a specific setting to get the sound. I finally gave up. I need to verify at home that the directv receiver is working via coax for sound.

On a side note, why is there not enough room for my directv receiver to sit anywhere near the TV? Who designed that? I had to have the receiver on the floor in front of the TV as the cabinet is too shallow. Barely fits the blue-ray player.
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
So the way it works simply. The cable from the outside of the camper runs to the back of the "A" jack. The back of the "B" jack runs to the "cable" input in the back of the plate on the right. With the jumper installed and hooked up to park cable, the signal runs to the antenna box on the right. Pushing the button will select between your antenna on the roof or cable.

Connect your dish to the external jack, remove the jumper and connect the receiver SAT in to port A. HDMI from the receiver to the TV. If you have more than one TV and your Satellite receiver has an RF out, connect that to port "B" which will then push the signal to the rest of the camper's TV's.
That's the explanation I was looking for! My camper is a bit different, however. Please see the attached image. I have no instructions on my wall plate.
RLCWHITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #11

Your picture didn't attach.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
The great thing about the way this is architected is you can come up with a lot of "hybrid" solutions for TV. The simplest is to leave the jumper in place. When you do this you've connected the external connector to the "primary" wall plate (the one on the right in the picture above). Here's how you connect in this scenario:

1. Attach park cable to exterior connector
2. Connect cable from the primary wall plate (one on right) to the TV connector.

To operate:

1. For park cable, depress the button on primary wall plate until the indicator light is OFF.
2. Scan for channels on your TV.
3. Grab drink of choice and enjoy.

4. For Antenna, depress the button until the indicator light is ON
5. Scan for channels on your TV
6. Grab drink of choice and enjoy
Doesn't work for me. I am using a SWM ODU only device. It needs the satellite receiver connected to the "Power to SWM" side. I have the receiver connected to the "Signal to IRD" side. I attached the satellite antenna cable to the outside connector of the camper, I left the jumper in between the "A" and "B" connectors, and I attached a coax between the box pictured on the right and the "Power to SWM" side of the SWM ODU device. I get an indicator that I have no connection to the satellite antenna.

If I remove the coax between the box pictured on the right and the "Power to SWM" side of the SWM ODU device and "home run" the satellite cable to the "Power to SWM" side of the SWM ODU device then I get an indicator that the satellite antenna is connected.

I am left to wonder just where the external antenna connection can be found. Maybe I will forever have to "home run" the cable through a camper window!
RLCWHITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCWHITEHAWK View Post
Doesn't work for me. I am using a SWM ODU only device. It needs the satellite receiver connected to the "Power to SWM" side. I have the receiver connected to the "Signal to IRD" side. I attached the satellite antenna cable to the outside connector of the camper, I left the jumper in between the "A" and "B" connectors, and I attached a coax between the box pictured on the right and the "Power to SWM" side of the SWM ODU device. I get an indicator that I have no connection to the satellite antenna.

If I remove the coax between the box pictured on the right and the "Power to SWM" side of the SWM ODU device and "home run" the satellite cable to the "Power to SWM" side of the SWM ODU device then I get an indicator that the satellite antenna is connected.

I am left to wonder just where the external antenna connection can be found. Maybe I will forever have to "home run" the cable through a camper window!
you haven't mentioned what model trailer you have. First thing you should do is add your equipment in your signature so people can better help. sounds like you have the 'swift " line of campers and I do not believe they have an external jack for Coax....many mods on here adding it. I believe all other product lines have a connection on the road side
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #14

I don't know what the Direct terms are. In short, if you have an external connector AND the A / B plate (with the jumper between them), the A terminal on the plate is a direct line to the external jack on the camper without any splitters and is RG6. The external satellite components connect to the external jack and the internal components of the satellite to the A port on the A / B plate.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #15

Drew

I am trying to hook my portable Satellite up through the outside cable/satellite to the inside of the coach behind the tv sat 1 and sat 2. I am reading that i need to detatch the jumper between sat 1 and sat 2. I have a stupid ? Where is the jumper? I am attaching photos of the plates. I have a 2013 Jayco Redhawk. Any help much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Jaycodrew92508 is offline   Reply With Quote