Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #1

Cold weather camping

I have a class C with open underbelly. My unit has heat pads on all holding tanks. Question, will the exposed water lines freeze?
bigdaddyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

I cannot speak from direct experience as I have not yet camped in sub-freezing temps. However, looking at the water lines and the BW/GW discharge pipes beneath our Greyhawk, I would certainly think they will freeze if they contain water at a low enough temperature. My pipes are not protected at all.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

IMO, If the water lines are exposed to the elements, they will freeze!

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #4

Yes they will freeze. Either insulate the pipes with foam wrap, use heat tape or dry camp when its that cold.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #5

Yes will freeze use heat tape with foil wrap then pipe insulation the foil helps spread the heat.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #6

Like aluminum foil, it works

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

I have lived in and camped in units during winter time at different points in my life. Having just purchased a new rig in January, I post a similar question regarding cold weather camping to fish for information and see if anything has changed over the years.

I live in Alaska, and am likely to utilize my rig in subzero temperatures. All the replies so far are pretty good advice. Heat tape, insulation wraps, foil/foil tape, etc. You definitely want to keep those water lines protected as well as your fresh/grey/black water tanks and drains. However, keep in mind, most of these heating elements require shore power or if they are 12V they cause a tremendous drain on the batteries along with keeping the inside heater running. As well, keep some heat on in your rig, open the cabinet doors under your sinks and access to your water pump from inside if possible to ensure good heat circulation.
Unfortunately, nobody on this forum really gave me any advice beyond what was obvious (i.e., I didn't really get much of any answers, you got more here than I got) I poked around some information sources unique to Alaska. Many up here in the know, up here when utilizing their rigs during sub zero camping/hunting trips suggest the following. Have a good generator 2000W or better. Ideally, something capable of handling 30AMP loads (I have yet to see a 2000W capable of handling a 30AMP load). Cold temps below 12F will zap your batteries fast, and at 15 below zero and colder, your batteries will discharge in half the time.
Do not utilize your onboard fresh water tank if you are camping in temps 20F and below. I utilize a 35 gallon portable tank and keep it inside the trailer with a manual pump.
Pour RV antifreeze into your GW and BW tanks. Remember to continue adding more as you utilize and dump water into the toilet and sinks. You should be able to visualize through your toilet if things are still in the unfrozen state.
If possible have an extra LP tank with a catalytic heater attached. Run that during times when you are not in the trailer (running it during the night can be dangerous due to carbon monoxide), and leave a nearby window cracked enough to vent air, but not enough to overwhelm the heater and chill the inside.
If you have one, run the generator at least a couple of hours each day, to keep the batteries fresh.
If you are at a place where you can plug into shore power, then as long as you follow the above recommendations regarding the heat tapes and insulation, and as long as you have the LP gas in quantity, then the sky is the limit.
If you have to have an extended stay, (as I did when I lived in my through a year), then definitely, take the time to heat tape, insulate all water supplies from the ground in. insulate and heat tape/heat pad all tanks and drains, and then skirt the entire trailer underneath.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote