Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Coleman Digital Thermostat Problems

I just saw this thread on another forum about problems with the Coleman Digital Thermostats. Is there anyone here who has upgraded to the Coleman brand digital thermostats and have you had this problem or not?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

Quote:
I just saw this thread on another forum about problems with the Coleman Digital Thermostats.
Could you link to the thread?

I recently installed a Coleman Digital Heat/Cool Thermostat 8330-3362 and have not had any problems, so far.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Could you link to the thread?

I recently installed a Coleman Digital Heat/Cool Thermostat 8330-3362 and have not had any problems, so far.
I'm horrible about forgetting attachments in emails. Now my Senioritis has spread to links in forums. Ack!

Let me do some digging around and find it again.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #4

Ok. Found it. This is the link. Sorry about that.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Interesting thread. We don't have any florescent fixtures; we have re-charged a cell phone nearby the thermostat without issues.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #6

I installed the Coleman Digital Heat/Cool Thermostat 8330-3362 on both our AC's a few months ago and haven't had a problem at all.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

I have had my Coleman digital thermostats for a year now and no problems at all. I have two, one with heat position and one cool only.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #8

Installed a Coleman in May and have experienced nothing negative.

I have generated lot's of crazy RF in the trailer (CB's/Cell Phones/Cell Phone repeaters/WiFi Hot Spots/LED dimmers etc) and still have seen no problems.

The T-Stat does not use a battery backup and is totally dependant on the 12VDC from the trailer's battery and/or power-controller. Easy to see that if the 12V source was crappy, problems could occur. I'm sure if a solid 12V is applied, all problems go away.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #9

No need to spend the extra money on a coleman thermostat. Wal-Mart has Hunter thermostats that work just fine that costs $20.00 to $25.00. I used a Hunter digital thermostat for the last 4 years in place of the coleman manual thermostat that came with my Jayco. The Hunter thermostats work off of 2 AA's instead of the RV's 12 volt source.
Tracylpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracylpatt View Post
No need to spend the extra money on a coleman thermostat. Wal-Mart has Hunter thermostats that work just fine that costs $20.00 to $25.00.
+1
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
No need to spend the extra money on a coleman thermostat. Wal-Mart has Hunter thermostats that work just fine that costs $20.00 to $25.00. I used a Hunter digital thermostat for the last 4 years in place of the coleman manual thermostat that came with my Jayco. The Hunter thermostats work off of 2 AA's instead of the RV's 12 volt source.
X2
jayco32rls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #12

Just ran into my first issue last week. In heat mode the furnace literally cycled on and off every 2 to 3 minutes. I was winterizing and it wasnt that chilly so I ended up just turning it back off. Afraid I may have to put the oem thermostat back in for the furnace to work properly. Any ideas what could be causing this? My ac also cycled more often but nothing like its doing with the furnace.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm planning on installing heat pumps in the TT I want to buy and I have found only one Hunter heat pump thermostat, a programable one that gets lousy reviews. If I'm going to be spending $50k+ on a TT, it would be silly to cheap out on the thermostats (not to mention there might be warranty issues for the heat pumps if I used a different brand thermostat). Having to Mickey Mouse a switch for the extra fan speed doesn't set well with me.

I plan on contacting Coleman to discuss their thermostats and multistage controls. Here in AZ, temperatures can vary widely during the day and night and I don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night to manually switch from heat pump to furnace because the outside temperature dropped below the heat pumps' low temperature threshold (I want to use as little propane as possible). I would also like it if the thermostat(s) could automatically kick in the second heatpump when temps go too high or low for only one to adequately cool or heat the TT.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmay25 View Post
Just ran into my first issue last week. In heat mode the furnace literally cycled on and off every 2 to 3 minutes. I was winterizing and it wasnt that chilly so I ended up just turning it back off. Afraid I may have to put the oem thermostat back in for the furnace to work properly. Any ideas what could be causing this? My ac also cycled more often but nothing like its doing with the furnace.
My guess (emphasis on guess) is the anticipator (I think that's what it is called; it's been a long time since I've worked on thermostats) may be out of adjustment. You might check with Coleman to see if there is an adjustment (usually a little screw you turn one way or the other) that can be made to prevent excessive cycling. Another possibility is the furnace may be blowing hot air onto the thermostat.

Another possibility is the furnace itself is acting up. You could reinstall the mechanic thermostat to see if the problem goes away. If not, then the furnace is the problem.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #15

Another vote for the Hunter Thermostat from Wally World.
We installed one in our last Jayco Eagle and now have two of them in our Jayco Pinnacle, they are low cost and work great.
Just have to replace the batteries once a year.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
Another vote for the Hunter Thermostat from Wally World.
We installed one in our last Jayco Eagle and now have two of them in our Jayco Pinnacle, they are low cost and work great.
Just have to replace the batteries once a year.
Read the post I made two posts prior.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #17

What model Hunter thermostat did you install, is it for just heating or for both heating and cooling. How did the wiring match up? Thanks.
rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog4kneer View Post
What model Hunter thermostat did you install, is it for just heating or for both heating and cooling. How did the wiring match up? Thanks.
Reviving this thread as the Coleman-Mach digital I replaced for the analog resets itself to 72 degrees (I assume the default) from our heat setting of 68 during the night. If it's a low voltage random kind of thing I want to replace w/ a battery powered thermostat. What Hunter model was used and how did the wiring match up?

Thanks,

Mike
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post
Reviving this thread as the Coleman-Mach digital I replaced for the analog resets itself to 72 degrees (I assume the default) from our heat setting of 68 during the night. If it's a low voltage random kind of thing I want to replace w/ a battery powered thermostat. What Hunter model was used and how did the wiring match up?

Thanks,

Mike
I just installed the Prolux PSP511C on my trailer. Works perfectly. The wiring was straightforward as well.
Here is a link to the thermostat: http://a.co/0TmyWSx
Here is how my wires matched up:
Red = RH+RC - Power
Yellow=Y - AC compressor
White=W - Heat
Green=G - Fan High
Blue=No connection
Gray=No connection - Fan Low

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefos View Post

Thanks,

Mike
Sounds like you're losing 12V at some point; 72 is in fact the "default" temp setting, at least when set to "cool". If it were me, I would chase that 12V drop as opposed to getting a new t-stat to hide the symptom of a potentially greater problem. Of course, my trailer sits idle for long periods of time, so I hate having things with batteries. Seems I'm always replacing the batteries in my remotes.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote