Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
nylyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southeast, NY
Posts: 960
Cost of a second AC

Well, I have decided that I'm putting in a second A/C in to the BHLT. I'm going ducted with the chill grill same as in the living area. I've been researching the "parts" to do it myself but was wondering if anyone had one installed what about they paid? It's going to the dealer in the morning, so I will be making my decision soon.

As a note I am 100% confident about doing the work myself EXCEPT I would not look forward to lifting that heavy unit to the roof. So for those who have had it done, what did it run ya (about)?
__________________

__________________
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
drfife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
Well, I have decided that I'm putting in a second A/C in to the BHLT. I'm going ducted with the chill grill same as in the living area. I've been researching the "parts" to do it myself but was wondering if anyone had one installed what about they paid? It's going to the dealer in the morning, so I will be making my decision soon.

As a note I am 100% confident about doing the work myself EXCEPT I would not look forward to lifting that heavy unit to the roof. So for those who have had it done, what did it run ya (about)?
Do you have 50 amp service to your trailer? If not, you will be hard pressed to run both AC's at the same time.

How much will the dealership charge you for the second AC?

PPL in Houston, Texas usually has good prices. A 63134 Coleman AC is $467.
__________________

__________________
Russell
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
nylyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southeast, NY
Posts: 960
Yeah, the BHLT has 50A service with a dedicated circuit for the second A/C. The dealer gave me a SWAG of $1K but that was for non-ducted controls on the A/C. They're going to get back to me with the cost for what I want.
__________________
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
nylyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southeast, NY
Posts: 960
I decided to let the dealer do it. I figure it's about $250 more than it would cost (in total) for me to do it and honestly I'll chalk that up to not worrying about damage during shipping, installation or any warranty concerns. I pick it up on Friday (I hope)
__________________
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
drfife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I decided to let the dealer do it. I figure it's about $250 more than it would cost (in total) for me to do it and honestly I'll chalk that up to not worrying about damage during shipping, installation or any warranty concerns. I pick it up on Friday (I hope)
Wise decision.

Worth the $250 in time and aggravation.
__________________
Russell
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12,043
This rig is the first I had that came with the 2nd ac. The lowest way to save some $$$ is have it factory installed. We have really enjoyed having two, even when they were not used all the time. Many times the BR ac will handle the load and keep the living area comfortable without the noise and air movement of the one overhead.

It gives you lots of cooling options.
__________________
Moderator
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
nylyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southeast, NY
Posts: 960
Anytime I spend over $500 on anything I completely over analyze it. Mostly it's to justify to myself that it's a good decision. Many factors (including a surprise reduction in my mortgage payment) affected the decision to add a second with the noise being a very large contributor while trying to enjoy a meal or just some quiet TV time.

After speaking with the dealer this morning, I am certain that the right decision has been made. Not only am I certain that we'll remain cooler, but having a backup A/C and darker sleeping area (no vent) will certainly make ALL the trips much more pleasant. I think this will be the best mod yet!
__________________
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Idaho/Arizona
Posts: 5,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
This rig is the first I had that came with the 2nd ac. The lowest way to save some $$$ is have it factory installed. We have really enjoyed having two, even when they were not used all the time. Many times the BR ac will handle the load and keep the living area comfortable without the noise and air movement of the one overhead.

It gives you lots of cooling options.
X2

It is nice having two. No matter what end of the trailer we are in we can be cool and not have to listen to the blower.
__________________

__________________
2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
2017 Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 with tow package.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.