Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Ok, I see what you are talking about. And I'd have to say that collar stays on the bottom trap pipe so it would thread off by turning to the left. Doesn't make sense, but... it is an rv. Lol!
Yep, I agree with that, turn to the left. It looks like his shower drain is to the left on that picture. I had a leak problem in my rig where the tailpiece connected to the shower pan, and it flooded my rig. My set up was exactly the same as that.

I had to cut out that complete trap, and start back at the ABS and replace it all.

Here's another quick tip. My shower pan had a ton of flex in it, due to all the plywood support cut out by Jayco and no bracing. You might want to take a good look at yours. Flexing of the shower pan could have cracked that pipe.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
It almost looks like pipe dope or plumber's putty of some sort. I've honestly never seen any type of sealant on threads on a line like that and you would think there would be some kind of sealing ring either around the pipe or a flat rubber gasket ring that would help seal between the two joints. This one has me a little baffled.
That's quality Jayco installation for you. Slap some liquid teflon on the threads, and screw away. I don't remember if there was a rubber seal or if the top of the trap was tapered, to fit tight to the upper section.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #23

Don't think it's cracked, read my post a collegial from this.....it is a brand new trai!er.

I don't know what to do? Go get a basket to fit in the collar?

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #24

My shower pan also had a lot of flex. When I looked at it I saw that the 2x4 supports were about 1/4 inch too short. I got a box of shims and a bottle of Gorilla Glue. My shower pan is now nice and firm. To make it easier to get the shims in place I was able to put a small jack in there and lift the base.

Also the plumbing part is a normal ABS plumbing part and any big box store should have it.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spower View Post
Don't think it's cracked, read my post a collegial from this.....it is a brand new trai!er.
So, where's it leaking from then? Should be easy to spot when you pour water down the drain. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it doesn't have a problem. We've discussed Jayco's quality issues at nauseum here.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
My shower pan also had a lot of flex. When I looked at it I saw that the 2x4 supports were about 1/4 inch too short. I got a box of shims and a bottle of Gorilla Glue.
Here's what mine looked like, big section of plywood cut out and no 2x4 support by the drain. And my drain is in the front of the pan, where you step in, not on the side. Poor installation in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Drain2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #27

Like I said, it's leaking from the collar, I can feel in the collar, there is no rubber in there at all, it was just screwed on to the pipe.

My Smoker Adventure:
Old 05-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
Also the plumbing part is a normal ABS plumbing part and any big box store should have it.
Yep, standard Home Depot parts. Here's what mine looks like now with a new trap and additional plywood and braces... No more flex, and no more broken fittings....
Attached Thumbnails
DrainDone2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Like I said, it's leaking from the collar, I can feel in the collar, there is no rubber in there at all, it was just screwed on to the pipe.
When you unscrew the ring and drop it, what do you see at that jpoint? It should either be a flat rim with a rubber gasket, or a tapered end that fits up into the top section of pipe.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
When you unscrew the ring and drop it, what do you see at that jpoint? It should either be a flat rim with a rubber gasket, or a tapered end that fits up into the top section of pipe.
There is not much space so the ring doesn't really drop much, I can sort of reach in there it feels lik it's just straight, maybe slightly tapered at the top?
Old 05-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #31
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
There is not much space so the ring doesn't really drop much, I can sort of reach in there it feels lik it's just straight, maybe slightly tapered at the top?
Unscrew the collar that's attached to the shower pan tail piece (it's that white nut in my picture above), and you'll be able to drop the whole trap as one unit. Then, you'll be able to see if it's cracked, or if a seal is missing, etc.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Unscrew the collar that's attached to the shower pan tail piece (it's that white nut in my picture above), and you'll be able to drop the whole trap as one unit. Then, you'll be able to see if it's cracked, or if a seal is missing, etc.
Ok I'll see if I can give that a try
Old 05-16-2020, 05:47 AM   #33

if collar then just tighten it. Clock way to tighten, counter clock wise to take off.

Or, for a few dollars just replace the whole trap....no big deal.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #34

It looks like flashing from the mold.
Like said before have an assistant pour water and watch for a leak.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #35

You Can see the water Stain And if it is not a leak,that's an odd looking pipe
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #36

Update!

This picture you can see in the collar, there is nothing in there

https://gopro.com/v/Po0B3ozQeEvXJ

I went to Ace (only store here and Big R) and got this, pipe is 2", it fits in but won't stay in.....ideas?

https://gopro.com/v/V20J6yr769vkX

If I could get the whole trap off that would help but I can't loosen the collar arrow is pointing too. Ideas??
Keep in mind this is a very small space to get into! my hands barely fit let alone big tools.

https://gopro.com/v/G1mWBW2LorWdQ

My Smoker Adventure:
Old 05-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
This picture you can see in the collar, there is nothing in there

https://gopro.com/v/Po0B3ozQeEvXJ

I went to Ace (only store here and Big R) and got this, pipe is 2", it fits in but won't stay in.....ideas?
OK, that's a tapered fitting. the "male" part on top fits into what's in the picture, which is the "female" part. See the bevel on that lip? So when the nut is tightened, it should make a tight seal. The top part of that fitting should have a bevel edge coming inward.

That slip joint washer isn't for that type of fitting, it's for a standard tail piece.

Quote:
If I could get the whole trap off that would help but I can't loosen the collar arrow is pointing too. Ideas??
Keep in mind this is a very small space to get into! my hands barely fit let alone big tools.
That black collar that your arrow is pointing to will unscrew by turning to the left. It screws up onto the strainer in the shower pan. Knowing I had to screw around in that area, I just cut the access hole bigger on my rig, and ended up making a larger cover plate. I need to contact Jayco to get some wall covering contact paper to cover it.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #38

Well it's not making a tight fitting because it's leaking.....so is my only option to replace the whole trap??

I can't seem to loosen that top fitting, any ideas beside cutting a bigger hole??

My Smoker Adventure:
Old 05-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #39
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Well it's not making a tight fitting because it's leaking.....so is my only option to replace the whole trap??
Well, we're still confused from where it's leaking. First you said it was from the crack, now you think it's the joint of the fitting. Since we aren't there, only you can determine which it is. I just suggested dropping the whole trap, so you can get it out for a complete inspection, and figure out the actual leak point.

Quote:
I can't seem to loosen that top fitting, any ideas beside cutting a bigger hole??
If you can't break it loose with your hand, then a Channellock water pump pliers is your other option. This is why I cut the bigger hole, to get access both to replace the entire trap, and to also add more support to the shower pan. Making a bigger cover plate was no biggie for me.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #40

It is not cracked, it is leaking from the collar, I saw it when I ran some water down it.

My Smoker Adventure: