Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

Dc inverter question.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I'm electrically ignorant. My 23b has a cigarette socket that is that says it is for tv power. Can i plug a portable inverter in it and run something like a coffee maker or charge a cell phone? I dry camped for the first time and didn't realize the ac plugs wouldn't work on low voltage items like cell phone charge or rechargeable flashlights.
DPCardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Hello DP,

Not a stupid question at all. These electrical issues trip up people all the time.

The short answer to your question is: Charging cell phone: Yes. Running a Coffee Maker - No.

The more complicated answer is that a cigarette lighter will put out just under 200 watts of power. A typical coffee maker I would guess is more like 600 to 700 watts. If you tried to run your coffee maker, even if you had an inverter that could handle 700 watts, you would blow the fuse in your cigarette lighter.

Hope that helps,
Kris
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Here is what some folks might do to get some emergency power for a few things in the trailer like the home entertainment center, cellphone/computer chargers, NOAH WX radio, maybe a fan and light, I've even run a electric blanket for the wife while watching HDTV. I started out with a 300WATT PURE SINE WAVE Inverter but after getting used to having this capability I kept adding more things to the power strip. Ended up with a 600WATT Pure Since Wave Inverter. The idea here is to run a 120VAC drop cord to the home entertainment center location and a second 120VAC drop cord to the bed night stand area.

You could hook your trailer up something like this typical small trailer.

My trailer has a larger battery bank and my game plan was to have all of the 120VAC and 12VDC items i wanted to run when camping off the power grid and have a battery bank large enough to handle this load for the one day/night camping run off the batteries. Then the next morning I will re-charge my batteries using my 2KW Honda Generator with the trailer 30AMP shore power cable connected directly to the generator and using the on board smart mode converter/charger can re-charge my batteries back up to their 90% charge state in as little as three hours so that I can do all of this all over again the next day/night camping run.

We always make our fresh ground bean coffee for the day when running the generator and pour it up into a thermos.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkptRvPilot View Post
Hello DP,

Not a stupid question at all. These electrical issues trip up people all the time.

The short answer to your question is: Charging cell phone: Yes. Running a Coffee Maker - No.

The more complicated answer is that a cigarette lighter will put out just under 200 watts of power. A typical coffee maker I would guess is more like 600 to 700 watts. If you tried to run your coffee maker, even if you had an inverter that could handle 700 watts, you would blow the fuse in your cigarette lighter.

Hope that helps,
Kris
2X

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

Roy -- question -- for a more primitive, temporary set-up, assuming you just wanted to run a couple of minor items such as TV or computer, could you employ a 300-600 watt inverter having direct-to-battery cables, where the inverter is attached to a spare 12V battery (not a coach battery; both outside the trailer), and an AC extension cord is fed through the 30/50amp cord opening to the desired device(s)? As you know, when installing a permanent inverter, a fuse is used to protect the inverter in the case of an overload and the battery switch will allow you to isolate the batteries (as you have drawn). But what about the primitive set-up? Beyond the inconvenience issues, any safety issues?
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #6

Dc inverter question.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I need to look into a more permanent solution like above. My 3 basic functions I'm hoping to get out of this is coffee maker, re-charge cell phone and re-charge kids game boys. I don't have the money for a honda or Yamaha generator. I currently have dual group 24 12V batteries so my amp hours should be sufficient. I do a fair amount of boondocking fishing trips for 2-3 days at a time and making enough coffee for 6-7 adults with an 8 cup percolator is a PIA.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

I think I can safely state that if you're planning to run a coffee-maker and a re-charging station via an inverter, along with all your other normal DC loads, you may need to have a generator (or some other means of re-charging your batteries) if boondocking for 2-3 days. Two (2) group 24 12V batteries will only provide approximately 150 amp/hrs, and you should NOT go below 75 amp/hrs (50% of total capacity) to avoid damaging your batteries.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #8

Dc inverter question.

Have you considered the folgers single serve coffee packs? You drop them in hot water, just like you would do with tea bags. It make a capable cup of coffee and all you have to do is heat the water on the gas stove.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #9

Using a inverter to run anything, but especially a coffee maker will produce a serious drain on your batteries. Inverters aren't particularly efficient, so even charging cell/game batteries for a few hours will significantly consume Ahr. Therefore you really need a way to recharge before you deploy an inverter strategy.

You say you can't afford a Yamaha or Honda generator, that's understand able. However please don't by a noisy contractor grade generator, nothing worse than setting up camp within ear shot of one of those. I got my Honda on Craig's list for $600, still not cheap but a whole lot better than $1k.

Lastly make sure you get a pure sinewave inverter. A modified sinewave inverter is really hard on electronics, like cell/computer/video games.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

Dc inverter question.

I guess this is an example of where my electrical ignorance is showing. I guess i had no idea making a pot of coffee and dumping it into thermos would be so taxing. I've read people powering their HDTV's through an inverter so i just assumed. And no worries about the lawnmower generator. I hate them as much as anybody else does. I'll keep an eye out for a used one though.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #11

Hello DP,
Understand that there are two possible ways to hook up an inverter. The first is though the cigarette lighter which was the basis of of your initial question. This does not offer a lot of power but a convenient way to do small tasks. The second way, which Roy detailed out and would be able to power an HDTV, would be to directly connect to the 12V batteries through thick power cables. As stated before, inverters are inherently inefficient and would drain the batteries fast. Hence, everyone who runs an inverter has a generator or other means to recharge.
Kris
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Site Team

Ok, This is just for that MUCH needed CUP of COFFEE without the use of an inverter. I can think of a lot of things to use the batteries for, but MrCoffee is not one of them. SOOOOOOOO, I made an attachment for my MrCoffee 2 cup coffee pot that makes 2 cups of HOT coffee without the use of ELECTRICITY. I borrowed one of DW’s Rubbermaid food containers (see picture) and put 2 - 1/16" holes in the bottom of it. Start with only two and add one at a time if it is to slow, to many holes will overflow the basket. I set up the coffee maker with the coffee grounds in the filter/basket and place the Rubbermaid container on top of the coffee/filter. I boil 2 cups of water on the stove and pour the hot water into the container on top and there you have it. I am one happy camper, and saved a few Amperes for the TV/Radio/Laptop... I added pictures of the Rubbermaid container used and what it looks like with the coffee pot.
Give it a try... all you will get from the other half is "YOU DID WHAT WITH MY CONTAINER....!!!", but all is well after she had that first cup :-)
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Site Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubbermaid 2 cup containers.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	7654Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	7655
Sorry forgot the pictures in the last msg
Don
Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #14

Re: Dc inverter question.

Thanks for further clarification. I think in the long term I'll looking for a generator and once I get there then I'll look into wiring a converter into the trailer. Keeping an eye on on Craigslist for one. Found a Honda 2000 for $500 about an hour away but it's about 4 years old and been used quite a.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Attachment 7654Attachment 7655
Sorry forgot the pictures in the last msg
Don
Awesome idea by the way. Wouldn't be so bad if all my buddies had a percolator or a french press. But when it's 5am and 40 degrees I really want a good cup of coffee.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCardoza View Post
Thanks for further clarification. I think in the long term I'll looking for a generator and once I get there then I'll look into wiring a converter into the trailer. Keeping an eye on on Craigslist for one. Found a Honda 2000 for $500 about an hour away but it's about 4 years old and been used quite a.
Maybe see what they will take for it, with cash in hand you may just get it for ~$400. There are lots of Honda Small Engine Repair Shops that can clean up the mechanicals for a reasonable amount and then you got a nice generator.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #17

Before I got my 2KW generator I used a good ole COLEMAN Stove TOP peculator.

Still makes great coffee... I carry this same coffee maker with me today for a backup source to make good coffee. Once you make the coffee then pour it up into a thermos...

Don't let the fancy drawing make you think it is super complicated. It just shows being direct connected to the battery instead of going thru a cigarette lighter plug which doesn't carry much current and can overheat the plastics on you if you draw around 5AMPS or so for very long periods of time. My connection got so hot one time it melted the solder in the plug connection and all I was running was a 12VDC connection to a small 10-inch TV set....

The INVERTERS work the best when installed as close as you can get them to the battery terminals and used large cables. Then you can plug in 120VAC extensions cords to run to to where you want the 120VAC POWER to operated things with. This can be almost any length.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Are your cell phones/games USB charge compatable? If so, purchase a 12volt car power plug for USB charging. They only use milli-watts of power from the TT battery to charge, which is a lot better than the inverter drain.
Don
Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCardoza View Post
I guess this is an example of where my electrical ignorance is showing. I guess i had no idea making a pot of coffee and dumping it into thermos would be so taxing. I've read people powering their HDTV's through an inverter so i just assumed. And no worries about the lawnmower generator. I hate them as much as anybody else does. I'll keep an eye out for a used one though.
Champion is now making a quiet one (like honda and yamaha) but at a way less price less than half the cost of the big names.. and you can get it at Costco.. 2000 watt and a full sine wave.. (safe for sensitive electronics like LCD or plasma TV's)
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Champion is now making a quiet one (like honda and yamaha) but at a way less price less than half the cost of the big names.. and you can get it at Costco.. 2000 watt and a full sine wave.. (safe for sensitive electronics like LCD or plasma TV's)
I saw that. I also saw that ryobi makes a 2200 at home Depot for $599.