Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Digital to analog converter

I think i need one. Got the camper all set up in our seasonal site and hooked up the cable and on our new tv got all channels but on our older flat screen(07) i could not get any thing.
I am guessing i need a converter box of some kind?
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #2

Probably so - By the time you buy a converter box you probably could add just a few dollars more and get a HD ready tv set. WALMART sells the 22-inch HDTV flat screen for less than $150. The 19-inch model even less...

Just getting the converter box does let you watch TV in high def mode. It converts it to UGGGH analog mode.

When camping off the power grid we are able to pick 6-36 full blown digital high definition (full screen) HDTV digital signals from the local towns for FREE using the OTA crankup bat wing antenna on the trailers here on the East side of the US.

If it is available to watch in full high def mode then you will miss out on the quality just getting the converter box.

Just my thoughts

Using the CABLE CONNECTION on the trailer at most of the camp ground sites should work in ANALOG MODE. Most of the CABLE STATIONS are all in ANALOG mode format. Even here at my house I have some 92 channels in ANALOG and another 95 or so channels in DIGITAL MODE.

Did you run a scan of channels on the older TV when you hooked up. 2007 might be new enough to have a MENU mode for selecting ANTENNA or CABLE and then having to scan for channels to view.

I have to scan for channels from the MENU everytime we go to a different place when camping.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Probably so - By the time you buy a converter box you probably could add just a few dollars more and get a HD ready tv set. WALMART sells the 22-inch HDTV flat screen for less than $150. The 19-inch model even less...

Just getting the converter box does let you watch TV in high def mode. It converts it to UGGGH analog mode.

When camping off the power grid we are able to pick 6-36 full blown digital high definition (full screen) HDTV digital signals from the local towns for FREE using the OTA crankup bat wing antenna on the trailers here on the East side of the US.

If it is available to watch in full high def mode then you will miss out on the quality just getting the converter box.

Just my thoughts

Roy Ken
Okay thanks. Went to the local walmart but they dont carry them in store any more but found it on their website for 32.00 i need two
Gonna try and find one this week locally if price is to high like you said it might be better just to buy new tv's.

Thanks
Robert
Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #4

I didnt even send for one when Uncle Sam handed them out for free haha... I immediatley threw out all of my old HEAVY ANALOG tv sets in the the local dump and replaced with the new HDTVs. We use the VIZIO flat screen models here.

You might take you older TV into the house and see if it works in there - You might not have a connection in the bedroom setup right. Some of those you had to add a jumper f-connector cable in the living room to get the bed room TV to work????

Someone posted a jumper cable inisde a cabinet picture similar to this a week or so ago that connected their bedroom TV to the main cable TV hookup

You need to do something there to prove your connection is getting a signal from the cable hookup before buying anything. Move a good known working TV back there and see if it works or not.

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #5

oops double post somehow...

Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

I am pretty sure it is the tv.
The new tv is in bedroom and i ran a cable from bedroom to living room and same thing. No channels
My brother stayed in same campground over easter and he said same thing his older tv wouldn't work but when he hooked up his direct tv dish everything worked.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #7

I am guessing you are good to go with your thinking if the new TV has worked at both connection places...

It is easy to get the wrong connections going or the right buttons pushed etc.... Things are confusing for sure...

Most cable connections from the camp grounds pedestals are still ANALOG only signals. I have never seen a digital camp ground CABLE yet but have heard reports a few are just now converting over to get HDTV coming from the camp ground cable connections. Only a very few have converted over to digital connections.

Good luck on getting connected up like you want...

Roy Ken

Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Site Team

I was in a Habitat for Humanity store last week and saw a pile of the old converters.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #9

Problem solved!!! Bought two new flat screen tv's after my wife informed me we had a 300.00 dollar gift card at wally mart.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #10

good choice
2 spoiled rotten Scotties
skymutt is offline   Reply With Quote