Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Disable Automatic Electric Steps?

I have automatic electric steps that extend/retract everytime you open/close the door. Sometimes this is annoying when going in and out a lot. Is there a way to just leave them extended full-time while parked?

There is a rocker switch near the door labeled "Electric Steps", but it does nothing. The steps behave the same if that switch is On or Off. I thought maybe it was just a light, but it's not that either...
marcdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #2

Marc,
What does the manual say in reference to it, if anything?
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #3

when they are down remove the fuse that controls them...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #4

Hi Marc,
My 29D has the same problem. The switch worked great for a year then quit. As a temp fix I have removed the door sensor( Little black contact in your picture at bottom of door). I leave it close by with electrial tape. When I am ready to travel I then tape the Black contact to the other contact, causing the steps to close. I will have it looked at by our dealer next visit, unless you find the real fix for it.
Dave A
Bluejayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #5

There is a rocker switch near the door labeled "Electric Steps", but it does nothing. The steps behave the same if that switch is On or Off. I thought maybe it was just a light, but it's not that either....

Marc,
I have discovered the problem...........Go under the steps and you will see several wires. One of the wires will have a 5 amp Automotive fuse in a small Black rubber cover (Square cover). Replace the fuse, and the "Electric step" rocker switch will work again.
Fixed mine today after an hour of searching wires.
Best of luck,
Dave A
Bluejayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #6

Curious: Who's the manufacturer of the steps?

In RV's they are wired with a sensor that tells when the chassis ignition is on. If the ignition is on, the steps will ALWAYS actuate, regardless of the step switch position. In a travel trailer, might it be possible that a similar safety is in place such that if it detects connection to the tow vehicle it will always actuate the steps? Does it's behavior change if the TT is plugged into the TV compared to when it's fully unplugged from the TV?
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejayco View Post
I have discovered the problem...........Go under the steps and you will see several wires. One of the wires will have a 5 amp Automotive fuse in a small Black rubber cover (Square cover). Replace the fuse, and the "Electric step" rocker switch will work again.
Fixed mine today after an hour of searching wires.
Thanks, Dave. Check your PM. No luck finding that fuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFairmount View Post
Curious: Who's the manufacturer of the steps?

In RV's they are wired with a sensor that tells when the chassis ignition is on. If the ignition is on, the steps will ALWAYS actuate, regardless of the step switch position. In a travel trailer, might it be possible that a similar safety is in place such that if it detects connection to the tow vehicle it will always actuate the steps? Does it's behavior change if the TT is plugged into the TV compared to when it's fully unplugged from the TV?
Manufacturer is kwikee. Found their manual at www.kwikee.com. It says there's a fuse that goes from the steps to the rocker switch.. But I cant find it anywhere underneath, in the coach, even in the c0ckpit fusebox..
And this is in a Class C Greyhawk...
marcdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #8

It is not my intent to trash any manufacturer, but I will say, without prejudice, that my Kwikee power step (on my 2008 Winnebago Access 31C) was in-fact the reason my chassis battery was destroyed after 1.5 years of service. The step would pull significant current every 3 seconds (or so) even with the step switch in the off position and the vehicle was parked. This was contrary to what was indicated in the owners manual. Note: Kill a regular (non deep cycle) battery a few times and it's toast.

I worked with General RV (AWESOME!) and found that Kwikee removed all of their customer support numbers in 2009, and also didn't notify dealers that they did so. As of Spring 2011, there was no customer support number (for dealers or consumers) to ask Kwikee for assistance (per General RV).

All that said, you're probably "on your own."

I suggest that you find the positive power supply for the step and install a cutoff switch of your own. For safety, you should run a second circuit from the chassis to the cold side of the switch so that it energizes the step when the ignition is on. That way you don't run the risk of driving with the step extended.

If you want further information regarding my experiences with Kwikee products (including the slide controller on my Winnebago that died after 2 years) please message me privately. As I said, I don't wish to trash manufacturers. But I will share my experience and let you judge for yourself.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #9

BTW: I addressed the step problem on my Winnebago by installing a chassis battery cutoff. Not only did it cutoff the defective step (saving my battery, and leaving the step extended), but it also was great for long-term storage. This might be all you need to fix your problem. Harbor Freight sells it. It's a replacement battery terminal connector with a green disk. Unscrew the disk, and viola! The battery is disconnected.