Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Portland
Posts: 3
Question Discharging battery

I purchased a 2008 Melbourne 26 A last month. It has 21,000 miles and is in very good condition. I had the Ford truck guys check it out and received an excellent report card. Took a two day trip, all worked well... except! (1) Once home, I had the MH on shore power for a few days and the chassis battery was drained. The by-pass to use the house battery didn't work and I had to jumpstart it. Once running the system is charging great... (2) fast forward two weeks after about four days sitting in the drive without shore power both the chassis and the house batteries were drained. I charged overnight and it started fine and it's charging the chassis and house battery. The generator works well at least for the house batteries. Any insight is appreciated. Any suggestions for RV service in the Portland OR area is also welcome.
__________________

Cromagnon1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: midwest
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnon1971 View Post
I purchased a 2008 Melbourne 26 A last month. It has 21,000 miles and is in very good condition. I had the Ford truck guys check it out and received an excellent report card. Took a two day trip, all worked well... except! (1) Once home, I had the MH on shore power for a few days and the chassis battery was drained. The by-pass to use the house battery didn't work and I had to jumpstart it. Once running the system is charging great... (2) fast forward two weeks after about four days sitting in the drive without shore power both the chassis and the house batteries were drained. I charged overnight and it started fine and it's charging the chassis and house battery. The generator works well at least for the house batteries. Any insight is appreciated. Any suggestions for RV service in the Portland OR area is also welcome.
This is a take it in or start pulling one fuse at a time while monitoring the draw on the battery... it is what they will do as well once you figure out what circuit is drawing power then you can figure out what is on it...


it sounds like you have someone who may have done some backyard wiring at some point... check the battery for additional wires that don't look factory... that may save some time.. especially between the start and house battery..
__________________

curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Peachtree Corners, GA
Posts: 22
This sounds a little like what I am going thur at moment with my six year old batteries, you didn't say how old the batteries are. They may be getting to that stage where they are done. Even if they are not that old it might be they have been run down two many times.
Also how is the fluid level, if the plates are exposed they won't hold a charge.
Have you tried disconnecting the batteries once charged to see if they hold a charge?
Are the batteries isolated, chassis from house, this might help work out if the problem is in the house or the truck.
__________________
Bruce & Caryl

2004 Designer 31RLS
2000 F350 Lariat 7.3L Dually 4 Door Long Bed
KiwiBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Portland
Posts: 3
I decided to bring it to a local RV shop and check it out. The prior owner installed a new radio (why I have no idea) and I'm suspect of the installation. The batteries appear to be fairly new but I hope to get more info later this week,will let you know how I make out. Thanks for your input!
jpl
Cromagnon1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
us71na's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McKean, PA
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnon1971 View Post
I decided to bring it to a local RV shop and check it out. The prior owner installed a new radio (why I have no idea) and I'm suspect of the installation. The batteries appear to be fairly new but I hope to get more info later this week,will let you know how I make out. Thanks for your input!
jpl
I had this problem with my boat. The radio/cassette player was wired direct to the battery and the light in the radio was always on, so it would drain the battery even if the radio was off.
__________________
2011 Skylark 21FKV
us71na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I had this problem with my boat. The radio/cassette player was wired direct to the battery and the light in the radio was always on, so it would drain the battery even if the radio was off.

That's a common mistake... people do it because ...

a) they can't be bothered to make a connection on the fusebox, the battery is easier to find...

or

b) they don't want the radio to lose its pre-sets when the power is turned off (most radios , these days, either have non-volatile memory, a built-in backup battery, or an option to connect a small auxiliary battery to keep the memory alive.)

Ian, the electrical man from Scotland
__________________

WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.