Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #1

Dish Network HD Dish / Tripod Setup

This is a question for those of you that use a HD Satellite Dish on a tripod.

We have Dish Network HD dish that has 3 lmb's.

What do you use to use to aim the dish and locate the Satellite's?

Looking for tips, tricks and feedback to make setup and aiming as painless as possible!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

Thumbs up Dish/ Direct Tv Set Up

After much cussing, discussing on setting up HD, I bought a Bird Dog Meter on line. I can set up dish in about 10 minutes or less, No more hassle or having the wife holler out the door the picture just left the TV. I spent $200.00 on the meter worth every penny. You will become the best buddy in the camp ground!

Other than the meter, or a good signal meter and compass, will work but takes a lot of time and very frustrating!
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #3

I used a Satelitte Finder meter that looks similar to this that connects in-line close to the SAT DISK side and has a gain adjustment on it. You crank down the gain untill you just barely hear a noise. Then move your DISH to the area in the southern skies where you think the satellite should be located and when the dish picks it up it will start giving off a louder tone. Keep turning the gain of the meter down and keep peaking on the louder tone until you pin point the maximum signal.

photo from google images

I think I got my satellite finder from Wingard $30

After I have found the strongest signal I usually remove my meter but it probably isnt necessary to do it.

There is one drawback I found with using this method is you cannot tell the difference between the DirecTV signal and the DISH signal so when you go the TV to see what you have you may be looking at the wrong satelitte. I thing I remember the DISH network is centered south of CALIF and the DirecTV signal is centered south of TEXAS...

I dont use SAT TV anymore in the RV since high def NATL BROADCAST digital television is available just about everywhere we go. If we really want to watch something from the CABLE TV side when camping off the power grid we use our laptop and watch it on-line.

I had great reception when I went to the tri-pod setup. I originally was setup on the RV Trailer but since you always want to setup under the shade trees you ended up blocking your SAT signal.

Having a multi-mode head like you have is great. Run one head output cable to the SAT RCVR setup in the bedroom and the other cable output to the living room SAT RCVR setup. Then run the third dish output cable to the pass-thru storage area and watch TV sitting out around the bon-fire.

I never had any luck whatsoever trying to use the SAT CONNECTION on the trailer. I always ran my SAT CABLES into the trailer and connected directly to the SAT RCVR. Then I would run VIDEO OUTPUT cable from the SAT RCVR to the VID 1 input on my TV set. Now I can swicth between SAT TV and CABLE TV with my remote.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Do yourself a favor buy a Winegard Carryout automatic dish for $600.00. I tried the tripod with 3 LNBs & it is near impossible to set up even with the best meter. The Carryout is all automatic & makes life so much easier.
6 Speed Auto 3:92 Posi
Rambox Hemi Hard Loaded
Airlift Bags 20" Goodyears
2004 Jayco Eagle 308 FBs
Sold trailer starting search
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #5

Dish pointer iPhone app works well to find the sat and then you can fine tune it. It shows if you have line of site as well as azimuth and altitude.
Daxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxton View Post
Dish pointer iPhone app works well to find the sat and then you can fine tune it. It shows if you have line of site as well as azimuth and altitude.
X2 this app helped me with the line of site when trees and such are close.
Added Bedroom light switch and outlet https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=7582
dlfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxton View Post
Guess I need to see about getting a iphone!!!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

My setup

I have a HD 3LNB Directv dish. I bought a mounting pole (The same one that is used to mount on the roof) and took 2 pieces of plywood, mounted it to the wood and the wood to the top of my ladder. You cannot see it from the inside of the RV. I climb the ladder (A frame, not the attached ladder), place the dish on the pole (It is vertical, when the RV is level) and just swing the dish until I get the signal. I set the azimuth the first time out, now I just swing 'till I get good signal strength on the screen. 5 minutes, max. Secure in the wind, also.
jstme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #9

I get the elevation and azimuth from this site:

http://www.dishpointer.com/

I bought a tripod from this company:

http://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/

You aim the tripod with a compass which is included. The nice feature of the tripod is the legs adjust using the provided level bubble. That allows the tripod to be exactly vertical. Then set the dish elevation. Then set the dish on the tripod and fine tune. It took about five minutes. The picture reception was perfect.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #10

The best satellite dish mount I ever tried was the Bullseye RV dish mount.

http://www.rvdishmount.com/bullseye.html

Unfortunately, it is no longer being made. If you see one for sale on eBay or Craigslist, snag it.

Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
Guess I need to see about getting a iphone!!!
There's also an new Dish pointer app for android phones
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #12

I'm not sure that you can get the HD to lock in too easily, I have Directv with a 18" round dish, single l&b with a sd box... I face due south and then turn the dish to my 2 o'clock and it locks in everytime. You do need to go into the box settings and enter the zip code of where you are at and change the dish type from sat oval dual lb to the 18" round dish as it is different from the one the box uses in the house. I have a friend that works as an installer for both satellite companies and he says the Dish Net is a little tougher to lock in than Directv when using a tripod.. good luck and i hope that helped some!!! Oh and I dont use anything other than the signal meter that is inside the box already!!!!
Jayco1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #13

Dish Tailgater
2006 GMC Ext Cab 2500HD 4X4/6.0/4.10
RTR!
gilldawg79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #14

How is your dish reception? Receive a signal?
Prodigy P2
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #15

This is the cat's meow when it comes to setting up your dish. A little pricey, yes. But it sure saves a LOT of time and aggravation when you have trees in the way.

http://www.amazon.com/Align-Site-Pro...tellite+finder

I have tried several tripod mounts and this is the BEST tripod I have found. I have never had to secure it as the footprint is wide enough that it can stand a moderate wind load without any problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-TR-35...xp_grid_pt_0_1

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #16

I have DirecTV and have used the tripod/compass system from tv4rv.com. I have an HD Slimline dish with 3 LNB's. You initially are aiming to the 101 satellite and then tweak it from there. I can typically set my tripod and dish up in less than 10 minutes. I don't use a meter other than the built in one on my sat receiver. This tripod system is so accurate that I typically see a 95% signal with an initial setup with no tweaking.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I have DirecTV and have used the tripod/compass system from tv4rv.com. I have an HD Slimline dish with 3 LNB's. You initially are aiming to the 101 satellite and then tweak it from there. I can typically set my tripod and dish up in less than 10 minutes. I don't use a meter other than the built in one on my sat receiver. This tripod system is so accurate that I typically see a 95% signal with an initial setup with no tweaking.
X2 on the tripod from tv4rv.com. Best money I've spent related to the satellite setup.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
X2 on the tripod from tv4rv.com. Best money I've spent related to the satellite setup.
X3 no problem getting an HD signal.
Prodigy P2
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82corvette View Post
Do yourself a favor buy a Winegard Carryout automatic dish for $600.00. I tried the tripod with 3 LNBs & it is near impossible to set up even with the best meter. The Carryout is all automatic & makes life so much easier.
AMEN to that. Dish now have their own carry out and I have been told it is a lot less than $600. Just set it on the ground, hook up the cable, and turn on the television. The down side is that they can be easily carried off.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #20

I have DirecTV and like HD. Unless things have changed recently, none of the auto dishe systems provide HD. It takes me so little time to aim my dish, I don't need or want a portable that can be taken away in the middle of the night. Yes, my dish can travel also, but it was cheap.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote