Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2021, 09:24 AM   #1

DIY Lithium Battery Heater Setup

Thought I'd share this if anyone is interested in keeping their lithium batteries warm. Eventually headed for warmer climates, I wanted a way to keep my batteries functioning in the meantime. Now that it's been around 18-20 degrees (Ugh!) a few days I have been able to get an idea of how my DIY 12v lithium battery heater setup has been working. Current draw is .55A for each pad and they seem to be working nicely. Batteries are wrapped with reflective foam core insulation. Set thermostat at 2c, (35.6F) batteries have never gone below that so far. You probably could stick the pads directly on the battery case as the pads do not get hot enough to melt anything. I stuck 3 pads evenly spaced on a aluminum sheet and set my 3 batteries on that sheet trying to get more of an even heating. With pads wired in parallel at 1.65A draw, my 300AH battery bank would "theoretically" run the heaters for 4.5 days continuously, but the thermostat cycles as needed. My flat mounted roof solar panels keep up with the heaters fine even though they are severely de-rated by Michigan's low sun angle and cloudy days. Side note- cleaning snow off of solar panels on a 5th wheel roof is a PITA. I've probably got around $40 into this, but I had some of the items.-

Facon 12V 7.5 Watt Pipe Elbow Heater Pad 3" x 13" $16.88 (amazon)
W1209 12V -50-110°C Digital Thermostat Temperature Control Switch Sensor Module $5.95 (e-bay)
Fuse holder with 5 amp fuse and a few feet of wire.
1/8" aluminum plate
Supershield Reflective Foam Core Pipe Duct Wrap Insulation 6" x 25' Roll $7.77 (amazon)
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #2

Very cool! Or warm, actually. Thank you for posting this!! I'm using that W1209 to control the extra fans I put in the 'fridge compartment.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:55 PM   #3

Thnx for posting ARoamer! I assume your battery is exposed to the elements. I’ve thought about this though my 280AH battery is inside under my bunk. It won’t be 32 F inside...living in my 184BH full time.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by campin View Post
I assume your battery is exposed to the elements.
Yes, my batteries are in the original basement battery box. Didn't want the extra wiring headaches of moving the battery location, plus the heat is off in the 5er when we aren't in it.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote