Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #21

Movies in trailer

I usually download the movies on my phone or iPad and stream them via the little Apple TV box to the TV. Very simple setup and does not need an extra WiFi environment. And I can control stop, rewind, forward wind and volume with the Apple remote control.
Jaycoskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcote View Post
I have movie on a hard drive and I want to be able to watch any one of them on either of my TVs in my fifth wheel.

I bought a little wifi device from amazon that setups up a wifi and a DLNA server. Here is the link to what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I'm looking for a cheap client I can connect to each of my TVs to connect o my server and play the videos. I tried a Chromecast but it requires internet access and when I'm camping I often don't have internet access so it won't work so I need something else.

Does anyone else have a similar setup? What hardware do you use?
Buy a WiFi router with DLNA capability and USB ports to attach your hard drive. Connect all your TV's and devices to the WiFi network and you can stream your movies.
edsamuel1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTom View Post
I had a similar need, Didn't want to setup multiple deviecs just to play my Video/Audio files. I ran across this

It an Android TV device that supports an external Hard Drive. I have a 1 TB WD USB powered drive that has movies and Music. It comes with Kodi installed and works well. After adding the files they all show up in the Library, Once it is connected to a WiFi it will update the Meta data for the media. Still requires 110v so a nice inverter and batteries will be needed when shore power is unavailable.
Interesting. The specs say it runs on 5v 2amps, so maybe you can run it on DC and avoid inverter.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #24

Don't you need wifi for your Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycoskip View Post
I usually download the movies on my phone or iPad and stream them via the little Apple TV box to the TV. Very simple setup and does not need an extra WiFi environment. And I can control stop, rewind, forward wind and volume with the Apple remote control.
I'm not sure how you do that with-out Wifi? If the video is on your phone then how do you stream it to your Apple TV with-out a local Wifi?
mlcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #25

Need the device connected to the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsamuel1957 View Post
Buy a WiFi router with DLNA capability and USB ports to attach your hard drive. Connect all your TV's and devices to the WiFi network and you can stream your movies.
That is what I want to do. I have the Wifi with DLNA but now I need to find a good device to connect to the TV since these RV TVs don't have any of that functionality built-in.

I just ordered this one that should support what I want and the reviews seem good. I'll give an update if I get it working.

Its a cheaper versions similar to other devices mentioned already. Hopefully it will do and it has enough power for 4K video in case I upgrade my TVs in the future.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #26

Quote:
That is what I want to do. I have the Wifi with DLNA but now I need to find a good device to connect to the TV since these RV TVs don't have any of that functionality built-in.

I just ordered this one that should support what I want and the reviews seem good. I'll give an update if I get it working.

Its a cheaper versions similar to other devices mentioned already. Hopefully it will do and it has enough power for 4K video in case I upgrade my TVs in the future.
The beauty of having the WiFi router is that you use the router has an access point to where ever you park your RV. Be it an RV park, your phone hotspot, etc. All your devices connect will connect to the router and you don't have to change anything when moving to a new location. Other then connect the access point to the external WiFi. My Jayco doesn't have any smart TV's. So I use the Amazon Fire Stick TV for streaming or casing either Andriod or Apple phones. I also upgraded the cheap console radio Jayco installed for a 10" Android 7.1 unit.

10.1" Android 7.1 Quad-Core 16GB ROM + DDR3 2GB RAM HD Digital Multi Touch Screen Double Din Car DVD Player with HDMI Output | Xtrons
Old 10-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #27

Quote:
The beauty of having the WiFi router is that you use the router has an access point to where ever you park your RV. Be it an RV park, your phone hotspot, etc. All your devices connect will connect to the router and you don't have to change anything when moving to a new location. Other then connect the access point to the external WiFi. My Jayco doesn't have any smart TV's. So I use the Amazon Fire Stick TV for streaming or casing either Andriod or Apple phones. I also upgraded the cheap console radio Jayco installed for a 10" Android 7.1 unit.

10.1" Android 7.1 Quad-Core 16GB ROM + DDR3 2GB RAM HD Digital Multi Touch Screen Double Din Car DVD Player with HDMI Output | Xtrons
Does the fire stick TV work even when you don't have the Internet connection? You can still stream from your phone to your TVs?

I tried a Chromecast and it requires internet access or it locks up.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Does the fire stick TV work even when you don't have the Internet connection? You can still stream from your phone to your TVs?

I tried a Chromecast and it requires internet access or it locks up.
You need the WiFi router to create your local network all your devices connect to. The Firestick allows casting from your phone. You go into setting on the Firestick to set it to receive mode. There are also apps you can download for cast receiving and mirroring.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #29

Wifi but not internet

Quote:
You need the WiFi router to create your local network all your devices connect to. The Firestick allows casting from your phone. You go into setting on the Firestick to set it to receive mode. There are also apps you can download for cast receiving and mirroring.
I have the Wi-Fi but often we don't get a camp site internet access so you only have a unconnected Wi-Fi with all your devices connected to it. This will work with the Amazon Fire devices then?