Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
There are two electrical issues that could potentially cause you issues. One is a surge, such as from a thunder storm. A strike happens somewhere close to you and sends a short lasting spike in electric. Surge protectors alone are the lower end in cost.

The other issue is over or under voltage. This can happen say, hot summer afternoon, everyone comes back from site seeing, kicks both AC's on turns MW etc.. Voltage which should be about 120 volts, drops due to demand. An EMS (Electrical management system) will shut your power off at about 108, or if a temporary rise in voltage at about 132 volts. Higher or lower than these number could cause trouble with electric motors etc. They EMS will also typically cover surges from spikes (lightening) also. They cost more but give you much better coverage as to potential issues. A surge could knock out all your electronics, Frig, AC, MW, TV, etc. costs could easily be in multiple 1000's.

You can decide which you need. Personally I only had one issue with a spike and my EMS saved my unit.. burnt the protector but saved my rig.. I have a voltage meter plugged into an outlet inside that I watch. I have never had voltage go into the danger range, high or low, but have watched it drop as people came back and turned AC's on. Normally it doesn't go below 113 volts and I have never seen it over 123 volts, neither of which is a real danger. If money is an issue I would get the surge protector. If I had a few more bucks I would and did pop for a progressive EMS .

Hope that helps you make a decision.

Good Luck and happy travels.

PS. you know how much and where you use your RV. In more established areas with consistent electric and newer campground, high and low voltage is less of an issue but still a possibility. Spikes can happen anywhere you get bad weather.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this to me. I helped me a lot. It definite yes for me to get one. The EMS sound like the way to go. Thank you Thank you

DebMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #12

eBay consistently has the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 for under $200, spend the extra 50 to be covered.
Be prepared to spend about 500-1000 for other stuff needed to get down the road and to a campsite. This is just misc. stuff jack stands, hoses, lights, etc, I figured an EMS into that budget.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #13

Thank you all.. looking at Amazon now
DebMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinehikeski View Post
eBay consistently has the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 for under $200, spend the extra 50 to be covered.
Be prepared to spend about 500-1000 for other stuff needed to get down the road and to a campsite. This is just misc. stuff jack stands, hoses, lights, etc, I figured an EMS into that budget.
My experience is the TT takes about 80% of the budget and the "stuff" you need to actually go camping takes the remaining 80% of the budget. 🤑

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #15

We have been using the Surge Guard Portable 30 Amp protector for several years (model:18277). Last summer we were camping in the Poconos and my power shut off. I looked at my Surge Guard and it showed 134 volts trying to pass thru the system. The Surge Guard will automatically disconnect your trailer system from the pedestal on either a high voltage or low voltage problem at the pedestal. As I watched it for several minutes, as the voltage went down to 124 volts, my trailer power came back on. Later, as I was doing some stuff outside the trailer, my kids came up saying there was no power in the trailer again. I looked at the Surge Guard and saw 97 volts. When it came up to 108 volts, the power came back on in the trailer. We notified the camp ground manager that there were issues. He didn't know anything about it. Maintenance came and looked at it and claimed they couldn't find any issues. Later that day, power went out to the trailer again and I saw 139 volts on the display.
5 trailers around me that had no protection had melted power prongs. The cost of the Surge Guard more than paid for itself that day.
HERE IS THE LINK:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-30-amp/81277

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Surge Guard 34830
2012 26BH (Traded)
2002 Prowler Lynx (totaled from tire blowout)
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMar View Post
Picking up new White Hawk 28DSBH and someone told me no. I feel I need to have one to protect my investment. Am I right? What can you recommend to me that is less than $150, if possible. Thank you.
If there is one thing I've learned from all the very wise campers on this forum, DON"T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT ONE!! We stepped up to a Progressive, and can't wait to see it work. The more different places you camp, increases the chances you may find a bad power pedestal. You'll sleep better at night.
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #17

I will be boondocking 80-90% of the time. Should I go with hardwired or portable version?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #18
Site Team

Just depends. I like the portable cause that's what I have and you won't be needing it but 20% of your camping experience.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I will be boondocking 80-90% of the time. Should I go with hardwired or portable version?
I've had one of each. The pole mount can easily go with you when you upgrade (I went from a 30amp to 50amp so gave it to my neighbor). But it could decide to go on a "walk-about" at a CG and you have to have a place to store it. The hard wired won't leave you. But has to be installed by someone and the reverse if you want it to follow you to the new TT.

I prefer the hard wired, it's out of the weather, remote display and one less thing to do when arriving/departing.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I went with the hardwired version.. that way I never have to think about it when I plug in the cable it is done... (I rarely am ever in a campground with any hookups)

215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote