Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2022, 05:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I think you are missing the point. These are storage tanks. They are not household flow-through plumbing. The tank relies on the storage of large volume of fluid and a small volume of solid waste. You cannot leave it open and use it (at least for #2). You need a functioning valve in order to store enough fluid to make the solids flow out, when the valve is opened.
I know how it works....I can add water to fill the pipe (a few gallons), and then it will work just as it does when the tank is emptied. I also fill the tank with water several times when I dump.

Right now my 1st obstacle is getting in there to open it up. I need ideas.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spower View Post
I know how it works....I can add water to fill the pipe (a few gallons), and then it will work just as it does when the tank is emptied. I also fill the tank with water several times when I dump.

I don't think you have the best situation for it, but....

I would actually rather have it close, so some action could be taken.

Either way, you need to know if it is moving at all. Is there no one around that can move the handle as you take the camera shots?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:22 PM   #23

Did you have any luck or get any help moving the valve?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #24

Quote:

You obviously don't know how it works. The poo pile he is talking about will occur directly under the toilet and if no water is present it will solidify into a solid mass. After that no amount of water will get it to flow down the pipe. It's not like your house where it flows directly into the pipe when you flush.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Here is the schematics
SPower, how/where did you get that schematic? I would love to have that for my Jay Feather 22RK.
2018 RAM 1500 Express Air Lift 1000HD
OTR AGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
You obviously don't know how it works. The poo pile he is talking about will occur directly under the toilet and if no water is present it will solidify into a solid mass. After that no amount of water will get it to flow down the pipe. It's not like your house where it flows directly into the pipe when you flush.
If he adds a valve at the sewer hose connection it would work. But you are correct, if he's on sewer and just leaves it open it won't work for long.

Valterra Twist-On Waste Valve, Mess-Free Waste Valve for RV's, Campers, Trailers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
If he adds a valve at the sewer hose connection it would work. But you are correct, if he's on sewer and just leaves it open it won't work for long.

Valterra Twist-On Waste Valve, Mess-Free Waste Valve for RV's, Campers, Trailers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
That would still require the tank to be closed until it is time to dump. That valve would eliminate replacing the faulty valve but it would also prevent the grey water from draining. The black water could back up into the grey tank and cause bad odors.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 04-23-2022, 04:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
That would still require the tank to be closed until it is time to dump. That valve would eliminate replacing the faulty valve but it would also prevent the grey water from draining. The black water could back up into the grey tank and cause bad odors.
True. But if the gray tank valve is working correctly it would prevent the black from backing up into the tank. What he's proposing is in my mind an emergency repair until fixing the valve as designed is possible. But making that first cut into the underbelly can be challenging. Much like the first hole in the roof.

This could be as simple as a cable being disconnected. Getting the tank dry will be necessary if the valve has to be replaced.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:20 AM   #29

Just to avoid a really messy situation. Once you get that valve open if you just put on the cap and start using it you will end up with black water in the holding tank and pipe which is being held back by the cap.

You will have to somehow open the cap and attach the sewer hose while the black water is pouring out. While this would make for a hilarious movie scene, and a story everyone around you will retell for years, it would be a very unpleasant situation for you and the next camper that comes along.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Just to avoid a really messy situation. Once you get that valve open if you just put on the cap and start using it you will end up with black water in the holding tank and pipe which is being held back by the cap.

You will have to somehow open the cap and attach the sewer hose while the black water is pouring out. While this would make for a hilarious movie scene, and a story everyone around you will retell for years, it would be a very unpleasant situation for you and the next camper that comes along.
I've accidentally had that happen a couple of times. You really don't want that experience. [emoji1785][emoji1785][emoji1785]

If the valve is already partly open there shouldn't be any liquids in the tank. It's not really that bad to open the belly and fix it right. It would only require a hole big enough to get to the valve. After, use a couple wood slats and a few screws to close it back.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 04-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR AGIN View Post
SPower, how/where did you get that schematic? I would love to have that for my Jay Feather 22RK.
I wrote to Jayco and they sent it right over!

So here is an update!!!

I finally decided to cut open the bottom.....I went according to the measurements on the schematic and ended up cutting right below the valve. My first surprise was there was NO insulation to be seen on the pipes or around the tank!! I have no idea how things didn't freeze up while I was in very cold Colorado, but that's another post
Anyway, I cut away some "insulation" around the cable until I was able to grab it with some needle nose pliers and pulled it open. It slid open super easy, so that told me the issue is with the cable.
For the time being I am just leaving it open. I have a valve on the outside pipe end. I use the black flush when dumping the tank and it gets cleaned out fine! I always keep water in the tank so there are no issues with "stuff" piling up or drying up.
I am probably going to go to a composting toilet in the near future anyway.

I want to thank everyone for all the advice and help!! Happy trails!!!

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #32

Quote:
I wrote to Jayco and they sent it right over!

So here is an update!!!

I finally decided to cut open the bottom....
Glad you decided to look at the advice on here from many posters. Happy Camping!

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:18 AM   #33

Update!!

So I finally got around to relocating the valve handle! It works great now....straight shot to the valve itself!
Attached Thumbnails
289768864_10225197517942729_7228611943456329486_n.jpg  

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.