Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

Does anyone have this problem?

I keep having a problem where my tanks open when I drive my 5th wheel around. When I get to the dumping station the pipe is full of usually a mix of gray and black water. Its a terrible experience and it has done it every time. I need to add a strap or something on every lever to make sure they don't open when I'm pulling the trailer. Maybe my pulls are defective and should be stiffer the open maybe.

Anyone else have this same problem? Do you have a good solution for it?
mlcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Site Team

We have the same problem. But only the black tank valve. It has done it since the day we bought it. I had the dealer look at it once but since they didn’t try towing it they couldn’t find a problem so I just wrap a bungee cord around it to keep it closed.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

A Twist-On Waste Valve (there are a couple of different styles) will help make dumping less of a messy situation. It attaches where the sewer hose attaches.

It takes a fair amount 'pull' to open my valves and I've never had a problem like you describe. If I had a problem like yours, I'd probably try a bungee cord to hold one of the valves closed. (I see WVDusty does this.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
A Twist-On Waste Valve (there are a couple of different styles) will help make dumping less of a messy situation. It attaches where the sewer hose attaches.

It takes a fair amount 'pull' to open my valves and I've never had a problem like you describe. If I had a problem like yours, I'd probably try a bungee cord to hold one of the valves closed. (I see WVDusty does this.)

I used to have the same problem - the twist on valve is the fix. I did finally get the dealer, after multiple times, get the black tank valve to stay shut, but I still use the twist on valve.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the solutions

Thanks everyone for the valuable information. I'll still bring the trailer in to see if they can fix it. In the mean time I am doing the bungee cords and the twist on valve. I've already ordered it. I was thinking of adding my own valve and didn't realize they sold a twist version. That is so much simpler.

Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcote View Post
Thanks everyone for the valuable information. I'll still bring the trailer in to see if they can fix it. In the mean time I am doing the bungee cords and the twist on valve. I've already ordered it. I was thinking of adding my own valve and didn't realize they sold a twist version. That is so much simpler.

Thanks again.

When you put this additional twist valve on do yourself a favor and screw a small screw through both pieces. This way you wont undo it while trying to take the end cap off. Ask me how I know this?
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #7

Just got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
When you put this additional twist valve on do yourself a favor and screw a small screw through both pieces. This way you wont undo it while trying to take the end cap off. Ask me how I know this?
Good recommendation. I just received it and I was surprised that the side that goes onto the trailer is on a moving ring. I though tit would be rigid and not move once I snap it in but that is not the case. Will then just hang down unless I put a screw in?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #8

I have a problem with gray water running out when I take the cap off the sewer dump pipe. But my problem is due to either a poor design or poor construction.

The dump pipe and the pipe coming from the black are about 3" in diameter. A 1.5" pipe comes from the gray tank and of course "Y's" into the 3" sewer outlet.

Unfortunately, when built, the pipe from the gray tank goes up hill to meet the big pipe that the "stinky slinky" attaches to. All is fine, and most of the gray water goes out. However some gray water stays in the gray water outlet.

After dumping and getting back on the road, all the motion eventually causes the trapped gray water to go into the dump outlet.

When I next take the cap off to hook up the "stinky Slinky", gray water runs out. Now, I automatically put a can under the end of the dump pipe to catch all the gray water.

Only way to fix it is to reroute or move the gray water pipe.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I have a problem with gray water running out when I take the cap off the sewer dump pipe. But my problem is due to either a poor design or poor construction.

The dump pipe and the pipe coming from the black are about 3" in diameter. A 1.5" pipe comes from the gray tank and of course "Y's" into the 3" sewer outlet.

Unfortunately, when built, the pipe from the gray tank goes up hill to meet the big pipe that the "stinky slinky" attaches to. All is fine, and most of the gray water goes out. However some gray water stays in the gray water outlet.

After dumping and getting back on the road, all the motion eventually causes the trapped gray water to go into the dump outlet.

When I next take the cap off to hook up the "stinky Slinky", gray water runs out. Now, I automatically put a can under the end of the dump pipe to catch all the gray water.

Only way to fix it is to reroute or move the gray water pipe.

Are you able to use a metal strap to pull up the pipe? The reason I ask is I had a problem on a trip where my gray tank pipe got filled up with black water due to a leaky valve. Then the gray tank pipe, being heavy due to the liquid hung down and started riding on one of my axles and wore a small hole in the pipe. It was a stinky mess. When I took it in to get it fixed, they added a metal strap in the middle of the pipe so it all flows down no matter what. I wonder if your trailer is missing a metal strap somewhere because it shouldn't be flowing uphill anywhere. Maybe manufacturing just forgot to put one on?

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #10

I'm with Atlee on this. Your problem may not be the valve at all. If you have a long and or flat run to the dump cap, there might be a pocket where waste collects and then moves on toward the cap when the trailer is moving. Also take a careful look for bad pitch or dips in the waste pipes and straighten if necessary. You might also try pulling your wheels up on a ramp on the non-waste (usually curb) side of the TT to increase slope toward the drain.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:43 AM   #11

Another good read.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lve-59735.html

and heres a good video on how to take care of the problem and exactly what I did to mine.

https://youtu.be/p9yJkIFh99Q
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #12

Mine does the same so now before I leave the campsite I hook up to the trailer and rock it back and forth a few times and then empty the pipes out again. This helped a lot but still a little bit the next time I hook up sewer hose.
Harleyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #13

There is no metal strap missing. Nor do any of the valves leak.
It's simply a matter of the 1.5" gray water tank pipe running up hill to the " Y" where the waste water runs out to the connection with the stinky slinky.

In my case, it simply a matter of some gray water remaining in the 1.5" pipe after dumping. Afdter traveling down the road, that gray remaining in the 1.5" pipe will move around and finally find itself in the end of the dump pipe next to the cap.

So when I remove the cap, gray water will run out. That why I put a small tub under it before I twist off the cap.

My problem is strictly design related or slip shod construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Are you able to use a metal strap to pull up the pipe? The reason I ask is I had a problem on a trip where my gray tank pipe got filled up with black water due to a leaky valve. Then the gray tank pipe, being heavy due to the liquid hung down and started riding on one of my axles and wore a small hole in the pipe. It was a stinky mess. When I took it in to get it fixed, they added a metal strap in the middle of the pipe so it all flows down no matter what. I wonder if your trailer is missing a metal strap somewhere because it shouldn't be flowing uphill anywhere. Maybe manufacturing just forgot to put one on?

Old 10-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #14

Mine is definitely not valve related.

Just poor design or poor construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I'm with Atlee on this. Your problem may not be the valve at all. If you have a long and or flat run to the dump cap, there might be a pocket where waste collects and then moves on toward the cap when the trailer is moving. Also take a careful look for bad pitch or dips in the waste pipes and straighten if necessary. You might also try pulling your wheels up on a ramp on the non-waste (usually curb) side of the TT to increase slope toward the drain.