Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Dragging fiver brakes

1 of 4 brakes on the Eagle drags on easy braking- This wheel will lock up under heavy braking- The wheels were off for a manual wheel bearing repack before we hit the road for home- New grease seals were used as always- The work was done by a pro I use in Az. The magnets and brake shoes were good to go at that time- Any suggestions what an old man [me] can do to find out what is going on before I take her to a garage? THANX in advance for all replies- DD
Old 04-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #2

If you can jack the trailer wheel off the ground you can check and adjust the brakes. A brake adjustment tool is helpful, but it can be done with a flat head screwdriver.

Here's a step by step narrative:
http://www.theoempartsstore.com/home.php?cat=1979

The other possibility is grease contamination of the brake shoes. You can check by pulling the wheel off.

Good luck.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
If you can jack the trailer wheel off the ground you can check and adjust the brakes. A brake adjustment tool is helpful, but it can be done with a flat head screwdriver.

Here's a step by step narrative:
http://www.theoempartsstore.com/home.php?cat=1979

The other possibility is grease contamination of the brake shoes. You can check by pulling the wheel off.

Good luck.
I am past the age when I can do major repairs so I rely on tips from forums to point me in the right direction- The tech discovered the grabbing brake was not in adjustment with the other brakes- In addition, all brakes needed to be adjusted- The adjuustment solved the problem- THANX for the reply- It was right on! JMHO- DD