Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Duratain Sealant Products

Hello All, I need some help on weather I should get Duratain Sealant Products applied to my new 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX (25')? I've been checking out my Trailer before I travel from top to bottom. I got on my creeper & to my surprise the tanks, electrical, and gas hoses were all right there, exposed. So the Duratain Undercarriage Sealant drew my immediate attention. However, I am told by my dealer that I have to pay for 3 of the 4 sealant treatments from Duratain. That is just the way Duratain does it. Cost is $899 tax not included. Duratain is located in Anacortes, WA, and I live in Yakima, WA. So they are a local company which takes some of the sting out of the purchase. Maybe there is another company that does the undercarriage I don't know. Suggestions?

Richard, Colleen & 2 Spoiled Dogs (Lucky & Gismo)
Campin4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Cat

Duratain Sealant Products

Hi Richard-

I work with Duratain and wanted to make sure that before you get a lot of misinformation (because there's a lot out there) you have some background on Duratain and our products. First we ARE NOT a sealant program that is like the ones sold and applied at car dealerships, that stuff is not designed for your RV. Second, we are a family owned company and have been in business since 1988 and we, as the manufacture, employ and install our products ourselves. Third, we hold the Warranty and service the Warranty so we have to make sure we do a great job on every install because the state of WA protects the consumer better than any other state in the US when it comes to Warranties. I am happy to cover everything with you personally (or anyone else out there) about exactly what our products do and how they work and why they may be a benefit to you. Please feel free to reach out to me at anytime! 866-597-0006

Cheers,

Cathy
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

Hi Cathy. Welcome to the JOF.

Hot enough for ya? More of this 'dry heat' is on the way!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #4
Cat

Boy I will tell you!! 115 this weekend OUCH!! Thank you for the Welcome Sherm and Terry!!
Old 06-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #5

I'll bite... what are you talking about?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Cat

Hi spoon059-

Which one the weather here in sunny AZ or the Duratain Protective Coatings? I assume you mean Duratain. What do you want to know?
Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #7

I would keep that $899 in my pocket, I won't waste money on extended warranties or products like this. The product may work but is it worth $899, and I don't understand why you would have to buy 3 of their 4 product lines, if you just want undercoating they should be able to do that, it has nothing to do with fabric or exterior sealant. Sounds like the old snake oil salesman.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
Cat

Hi Sundancer330-

Our products really don't classify as an "extended warranty" because we directly warranty our product, not extend the manufacture warranty. Additionally we don't sell direct to the public so the dealership handles the pricing etc. What I can say is you are right there is a lot of snake oil out there, I will give you that but we don't hide behind dealerships to sell our products and not take care of the customers, we do it ourselves.. Hence why WE install and have a separate contract with Duratain exclusively. Now as far as why we do 4 or 3 coatings, well that's really more to protect the customer. If you think about it wouldn't we make more money if we just sold the one product, less labor, less product.. We don't do that because our business model is routed in the benefit for the customer. The warranty is transferable, we warranty the exterior, interior and awning for 5yrs and the undercoat for 10yrs. We inspect and retreat the interior, awning and undercoat every year for FREE for the life of the contract.. That's 10yrs we will inspect and retreat the undercoat. There is not one other company that has been around as long as us, has a warranty like us, that believes in what we do.. Sorry for the long preachy style response but I believe in my company and my boss Wade who started this company in a farmhouse mixing the formulas by hand. A lot of stuff out there today is gimmicky and we are FAR from that. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have!! I'm happy to explain the difference...

Cheers
Cat
Old 06-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Hi Cathy. Welcome to the JOF.

Hot enough for ya? More of this 'dry heat' is on the way!
It is hot up here in the Northwest Yakima, WA. 103 today. Just got back from camping too.
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab, Rear Wheel Drive, V8 (327 CI), Factory Tow Package & Heavy Duty Suspension; e2 Round Bar Hitch, 10K lb. max; 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX, 212QBW, DISCONNECTED Sway Command System; Sold: 2005 Skyline Nomad Lite, 180LT, 18'
Old 06-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #10

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would keep that $899 in my pocket, I won't waste money on extended warranties or products like this. The product may work but is it worth $899, and I don't understand why you would have to buy 3 of their 4 product lines, if you just want undercoating they should be able to do that, it has nothing to do with fabric or exterior sealant. Sounds like the old snake oil salesman.
Sundancer, Thank you for your reply. I didn't waste money on an extended warranty, or Tire Service Contact. I don't believe in them either. However, DURATAIN undercoating protection peaked my interest because I have nothing covering the undercarriage of my trailer. I got on a creeper and looked up at everything. All 3 tanks, all wiring, all piping... there is nothing covering the undercarriage period. No is that my fault for not crawling under the trailer before buying it? YES I would have when I was younger but I am disabled and assumed things were covered up to some degree. I was wrong, now I am concerned and am just asking for feedback on these products.
2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab, Rear Wheel Drive, V8 (327 CI), Factory Tow Package & Heavy Duty Suspension; e2 Round Bar Hitch, 10K lb. max; 2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX, 212QBW, DISCONNECTED Sway Command System; Sold: 2005 Skyline Nomad Lite, 180LT, 18'
Old 06-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
Cat

Hi Campin4Ever-

Exposed wires are the least of your worries.. You have a hot mess of dissimilar metals under your coach and that causes rusting. How?? Well dissimilar metals cause basically, and without all the geek speak, a electrical current to run constantly through the metals which causes corrosion. Corrosion being rust.. Powder coating does not stop this process. Our VC-4 does. We used the same technology as the military when they coat ships and planes. Wade's family consist of RV enthusiasts and chemical engineers- his grandpa even helped to develop coatings that helped protect planes etc from the corrosions caused by radar. We know our stuff!! Please feel free to contact me with any questions..
Old 06-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
Cat

I believe we hit 120 in AZ today!! HOTTTTT!!!!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #13

Cat, You live in Gilbert, AZ. & you work with or work for Durotain? Yes electrolysis JUMPED out at me first thought. I earned being a Journeyman in the Sheet Metal trade as well as being a certified Welder. I need to fully understand what VC-4 will do for my trailer.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
Cat

Yes I work for Duratain.. Well I guess I am more apart of the Duratain family.. VC-4 is a military grade coating that stops the electrolysis process much like the coatings on navy ships and fighter airplane hide them from radar. The product is actually a self healing product that will bring itself back together, so rocks and other road debris that nick or mar the coat can't hurt you or allow for rusting. Give me a call tomorrow and I will answer all your questions and if I can't Wade for sure can..