Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #1

Angry Electric Awning Motor Failure

While camping this week end our Carefree Electric awning motor locked up. Could not move the awning in or out. Called our dealer, 250 miles away and they told me how to remove the end cap and check the motor. I removed the motor, these awnings have no spring, so it is about impossible to hand wind them up. At any rate after much playing with the motor, I found a set screw, removed it, found a gear set. ( the motor would run free, just would not turn the awning roller) Screwed the set screw all the way in, this sets the tension on the gear set. I then re installed the motor, and lucky for us it worked,awning rolled up, after 3 hours of time. I am going to order a spare motor. The awning will be 3 years old in August. No warranty. I really wanted the standard pull down awning on this unit, but Jayco only offers the electric on the Eagles. Just a heads up if you loose the motor, you are stuck.
buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #2

We just bought a new jayflight this year and initially we were going to pay extra to have an electric awning put on. In the end we decided to use the standard one for a year before spending the money on a new one. We are now trying to sort out the positives and negatives of the two different types. Thanks for sharing.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

It's too bad that (1) the warranty is only for 1 year on the awning, Jayco 2 years, (2) that there's no manual crank which can be used to retract the awning.

With what you know now, how hard would it be to change the motor in the awning, and have you costed a new one?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #4

Exclamation changing the motor

Since doing the first post, I found out you have to purchase the entire drive assembly, cost $229.00. To remove the motor is easy, just remove the plastic clam shell, unplug the red & black wires from motor, remove the 3 bolts, remove motor, with gear assembly, install new one! The hard part would be finding a new motor within reasonable driving of the campground. I am going to buy a spare. I have the extended warranty, but it only covers the motor if it fails. You can not roll up this awning manually!!! If you did, there is no way to lock it tight against the RV. Poor, poor design,no override!.. Give me a manual pull down awning anytime. I can't change mine, without really leaving holes etc in the fiberglass. Oh well the joys of camping!! Won't stop us!!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
We just bought a new jayflight this year and initially we were going to pay extra to have an electric awning put on. In the end we decided to use the standard one for a year before spending the money on a new one. We are now trying to sort out the positives and negatives of the two different types. Thanks for sharing.

Ladywendolyn, as the owner of a Superlite 5th wheel with an electric awning I can, from experience, say "Be happy your unit has a manual awning". I would much prefer a manual awning. Manual is robust, electric flimsy. Difficult to clean top as it does not angle down as far as the manual one. Manual is easy to keep taunt while electric one has tendency to loosen. Both have support arms that get in the way when walking out from under awning to the sides, the electric has support arms the will hurt you with sharp corners at head level ( I know). Although I have not experienced it the consensus is that electric awnings have problems when it's windy.

My input for your decision making.

cheers
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

every time i run the awning out... i wonder if it's the last time..

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #7

Have not taken my cover off, but I thought the was a allen fitting to manually put the awning in
SBruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #8

It it my understanding the motor is the same one that is used on FORD electric windows. Take it to an auto parts store to try and match it.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #9

Thumbs down Awning Motor update

I have ordered a spare motor, won't be stranded on a long trip. The motor is sold as an assembly. gear box, mounting and end cap for roller tube. Cost is about $200.00.. Also no place to manually override the motor. The hex head screw on the end of the motor assembly is where you adjust the gear set.Really a poor design not to allow a manual override, so if you can get a standard pull down awning do it!! I would replace the electric, but there would be holes in the fiberglass.

I hope no more motor issues for us, both of our slide motor assemblies have been replaced under warranty, now the awning motor, please no more!
Happy Camping!!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #10

We like the electric awning. We have only used it for one year and we are getting it on our new 2013 Jayco. Yes it doesn’t do well in the wind but it is nice that you can roll it in or out as you need it. There is never a question of leaving it out while you go to the beach or into town to pick-up something. My fingers are cross that we have no problems with it.
RowMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #11

Had a 2010 31BHDS with the electric awning, I liked it but didn't love it. Easy to put in and out but like someone said when's the first time it won't roll back. Now have a 2012 36BHDS with a manual awning, this one I do love. Would not go back to the electric.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #12

From what I know there is a back-up system if the motor fails. You can attach the jumpers that came with the awning to another electric motor to the two screws that are on top of the arm that holds the motor. I think the motor has to be between 12 and 18 volts. Lots of RVers carry cordless drills which will work for this.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #13

Our 29L is just a bit over a year old now. First time out this year (Easter weekend) I put the awning out and the motor quit. It wouldn't roll out or roll in. I tried the over ride with the jumper cables and battery, still didn't work. Mine kept blowing fuses every time I hit the button. I ended up grabbing the 20 AMP circuit breaker fuse from the slideout and used that. It managed to allow the motor to continue rolling out so for the time being my awning was rolled up backwards but at least it was in.

At the end of a 6 week battle with the dealer they replaced the motor under warranty, I just had to pay for the visit to change it. Kinda sucks but by the time I dragged it off our seasonal lot, took it to them, left it, went back and got it it would have cost me more in fuel.

Ours is also a Carefree awning. The next time I get a trailer I will probably not get a power awning.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #14

I have a Crappy of Colorado awning too... the motor did not fail but the gear it drove did... I was on the road at the time it failed (of course) and called (NOT)Carefree of Colorado and they sent me to places that were no longer Carefree dealers... finally gave up and took the whole thing apart.. when I got home had my dealer contact Crappy of Colorado who would not do anything for me even tho it was under warranty... and they did not even admit to having talked to me before... Thankfully Jayco stepped up and covered it under good will... NEXT TIME this awning fails I will replace it the a Dometic manual...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #15

I have a 2010 24T. Mine is at the dealer again to have the motor replaced for the 2nd time because of failure. It should only cost me the labor. I am having a new switch installed also in case the original switch is bad and is shorting out the motor. Its great when it works - especially in the middle of the night if it needs to be brought in.