Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

Angry Electric Awning Motor Failure

While camping this week end our Carefree Electric awning motor locked up. Could not move the awning in or out. Called our dealer, 250 miles away and they told me how to remove the end cap and check the motor. I removed the motor, these awnings have no spring, so it is about impossible to hand wind them up. At any rate after much playing with the motor, I found a set screw, removed it, found a gear set. ( the motor would run free, just would not turn the awning roller) Screwed the set screw all the way in, this sets the tension on the gear set. I then re installed the motor, and lucky for us it worked,awning rolled up, after 3 hours of time. I am going to order a spare motor. The awning will be 3 years old in August. No warranty. I really wanted the standard pull down awning on this unit, but Jayco only offers the electric on the Eagles. Just a heads up if you loose the motor, you are stuck.

buckeyejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

We just bought a new jayflight this year and initially we were going to pay extra to have an electric awning put on. In the end we decided to use the standard one for a year before spending the money on a new one. We are now trying to sort out the positives and negatives of the two different types. Thanks for sharing.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
http://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

It's too bad that (1) the warranty is only for 1 year on the awning, Jayco 2 years, (2) that there's no manual crank which can be used to retract the awning.

With what you know now, how hard would it be to change the motor in the awning, and have you costed a new one?
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Exclamation changing the motor

Since doing the first post, I found out you have to purchase the entire drive assembly, cost $229.00. To remove the motor is easy, just remove the plastic clam shell, unplug the red & black wires from motor, remove the 3 bolts, remove motor, with gear assembly, install new one! The hard part would be finding a new motor within reasonable driving of the campground. I am going to buy a spare. I have the extended warranty, but it only covers the motor if it fails. You can not roll up this awning manually!!! If you did, there is no way to lock it tight against the RV. Poor, poor design,no override!.. Give me a manual pull down awning anytime. I can't change mine, without really leaving holes etc in the fiberglass. Oh well the joys of camping!! Won't stop us!!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
We just bought a new jayflight this year and initially we were going to pay extra to have an electric awning put on. In the end we decided to use the standard one for a year before spending the money on a new one. We are now trying to sort out the positives and negatives of the two different types. Thanks for sharing.

Ladywendolyn, as the owner of a Superlite 5th wheel with an electric awning I can, from experience, say "Be happy your unit has a manual awning". I would much prefer a manual awning. Manual is robust, electric flimsy. Difficult to clean top as it does not angle down as far as the manual one. Manual is easy to keep taunt while electric one has tendency to loosen. Both have support arms that get in the way when walking out from under awning to the sides, the electric has support arms the will hurt you with sharp corners at head level ( I know). Although I have not experienced it the consensus is that electric awnings have problems when it's windy.

My input for your decision making.

cheers
kiwaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #6

every time i run the awning out... i wonder if it's the last time..

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

Have not taken my cover off, but I thought the was a allen fitting to manually put the awning in
SBruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #8

It it my understanding the motor is the same one that is used on FORD electric windows. Take it to an auto parts store to try and match it.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #9

Thumbs down Awning Motor update

I have ordered a spare motor, won't be stranded on a long trip. The motor is sold as an assembly. gear box, mounting and end cap for roller tube. Cost is about $200.00.. Also no place to manually override the motor. The hex head screw on the end of the motor assembly is where you adjust the gear set.Really a poor design not to allow a manual override, so if you can get a standard pull down awning do it!! I would replace the electric, but there would be holes in the fiberglass.

I hope no more motor issues for us, both of our slide motor assemblies have been replaced under warranty, now the awning motor, please no more!
Happy Camping!!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #10

We like the electric awning. We have only used it for one year and we are getting it on our new 2013 Jayco. Yes it doesn’t do well in the wind but it is nice that you can roll it in or out as you need it. There is never a question of leaving it out while you go to the beach or into town to pick-up something. My fingers are cross that we have no problems with it.

RowMatt is offline   Reply With Quote