Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

This was actually one of the first mods I did to my TT. It has made a difference, especially on warm humid days.

Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #12

I have the fan unit shown in the ebay listing above. We have only used it twice this year (cold wet spring). It does a good job keeping the ice off the fins. We actually turned down the frig one setting, otherwise the frig thermostat says the interior temp of the frig is ~31 degrees. We also have not noticed any issues with the freezer temperatures.

We turn the frig on the day before we go grocery shopping. This last trip we had a big rain storm that morning and somehow the GFI (on the house) tripped. I noticed it when I got home from work, and I would guess the frig was off most of the day, and unfortunately I did not have the propane on. The frig temp was 60 degrees, I reset the GFI. After dinner we went shopping and by the time we got home the frig temps were right in the safe zone. I would guess it was it was 2-3 hours later. Before the fan I would guess it would have been sometime in the morning before the frig temps were safe.

What I am looking forward to is on bigger trips when the frig is packed. Last year on those trips we actually had some fruit and veggies on the bottom of the frig freeze. I fully expect with the air movement we will eliminate this issue.

As for opening the door and blowing out all the cold air. That is not an issue, unless you really like to window shop. The air has no thermal mass to speak of, in comparison to the solids in the frig. The frig will recover quite quickly.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
As for opening the door and blowing out all the cold air. That is not an issue, unless you really like to window shop. The air has no thermal mass to speak of, in comparison to the solids in the frig. The frig will recover quite quickly.
A very good point.

But...

Clearly you haven't lived with my refrigerator perusing children, and more recently the grandkids they have spawned. vic
Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #14

I too purchased one from Ebay. It was one of the first mods I did. I only camp at Myrtle Beach and in the summer it is hot and humid. I am pleased with the results from the fan. I actually lowered the setting by 1. I don't think it actually makes it cool any faster, but I think it makes it more efficent. just my 2 cents.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #15

Just ordered (jun 4)/received (jun 8) and installed (jun 9) the Ebay twin fan unit in our Norcold. 5 minute install and works great! Thanks to this thread!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #16

So whats best (as far as position) to mount blowing onto the cooling fins or just to circulate the air inside the fridge?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #17

If you get the twin fan setup from ebay, the clip that attaches the fan to the fins (and provides the ground) pretty much sets the location vertically, circulating air onto the fins. Laterally you can move it right or left or center.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #18

Recently returned from an extended trailer-trip to Idaho (two weeks) and my little dual-fan in the fridge worked flawlessly for the entire trip (cycling from electric/shore power to gas various times at various sites).
Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #19

Yup, we've got one of the ebay fans too. Moving some air across the fins helps to distribute the cooler air more evenly. I also believe it cools the little fridge down a little quicker too. We're not boondockers (yet) so the power usage isn't a factor for us. We are planning a TT upgrade next year and the new one will for sure have one of these little fans.
ExJay - I think blowing on the fins, cuts down on the frost and will distributes the air better. Plus it's designed to clip to the fan to complete the electric circuit (that's it's ground). I thought about something a little more hi-tech with a switch but talked myself out of it (with the help of an adult beverage) and am glad I did. Works just fine as it is.
Also thought about making one myself but whoever makes these only charges $13 or so and it's clever enough I'm happy to have sent him my $$.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #20

W just got back from a 19 day trip out west. The fan was on the whole trip. In the past if the frig was FULL. We would have issues with the food on the bottom (aka fruits and veggies) freezing. On this trip there was absolutely no signs of frost on any of the food.

Side note, for those who boondock; I used the clamp on amp meter on the power cable and noticed it pulls 0.15 amps. So in one day it uses 3.6 amps of power reserve.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote