Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #11

All,
The GFI tripped again this am and the frig was back on propane. I am still not convinced that the GFI is the culprit. I have plugged the trailer into the same GFI protected 20amp ckt for the past 7 years and have operated all appliances without issues. (microwave and AC never got operated at the same time). Additionally, that GFI also protects all of my garage ckts (table saw, drill press, etc) with never an issue.

The ONLY thing I changed in the past year when this started was the addition of a 12v fan for the frig. As recommended by the vendor, I tapped the power by from the frig ckt board 12v power supply. After I reset the GFI, I turned off the fan. I will check later to see if it trips again.

After that, the only item left is a possible short or ground on the 120V frig heater (not wishing for this root cause).

As for pulling the battery fuse, I didn't want to keep my brand new 6v batteries on constant charge from the trailer converter while the trailer was connected to shore power.

I sent a message to Jayco to see if their techs have an answer.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #12

Check to see if the breaker will trip with the fridge on propane. Your idea of a fault in the 120V heater may be correct (unfortunately). Not sure how to trouble shoot that other than to look for a short.
Anybody: is the heating element serviceable?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Anybody: is the heating element serviceable?
The Norcold parts manuals I've seen show it as a separate item. So it probably is.

You'll have to disconnect both sides of the element from the control board and test for continuity to ground. Should be infinite ohms.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #14

(drum roll please)
And the culprit was - the 12v accessory fan I added to the frig! No issues since I turned off that fan. the frig has been running on 120V since about 6am.

Thanks everyone for the advice
Tim
Old 07-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #15

As for pulling the battery fuse, I didn't want to keep my brand new 6v batteries on constant charge from the trailer converter while the trailer was connected to shore power

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Why would you not want to keep your batteries fully charged assuming that you have a multistage converter?? Everything that I have read says that this keeps your batteries at there best without overcharging. Disconnecting would certainly be the thing to do if you weren't hooked to shore power. If hooked to shore power, I would think that you would want your batteries getting the benefit of your smart converter.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
(drum roll please)
And the culprit was - the 12v accessory fan I added to the frig! No issues since I turned off that fan. the frig has been running on 120V since about 6am.

Tim
YATZEE! Congrats on the discovery. Seems odd that a 12v source would trip the GFCI. Would expect a fuse to burn out first. Double check where you tapped into the power for it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
(drum roll please)

Tim
I don't mean to rain on your parade but I don't think you have seen the end of this issue yet. I do not believe for a minute the fan mod is affecting the GFI. There is no connection between the GFI system and the 12 volt system.

Please let us know if the problem re-occurs.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #18

Still do not rule out the GFI. I have a few spots at my old house that have a history of the need to replace them every 5 years or so. Other area I never had to replace.

Review the attached link, it has a lot of good info.

www.safeelectricity.org/information-center/library-of-articles/55-home-safety/317-ground-fault-circuit-interrupters-gfcis
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #19

Here is where I tapped my 12v power. the little piece of stub wire was just fill in the rest of the crimp connector.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150716_001.jpg   WP_20150716_002.jpg  
Old 07-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
I don't mean to rain on your parade but I don't think you have seen the end of this issue yet. I do not believe for a minute the fan mod is affecting the GFI. There is no connection between the GFI system and the 12 volt system.

Please let us know if the problem re-occurs.
I will argue "There is no connection between the GFI system and the 12 volt system."

All 3 electrical systems share a common ground. 12VDC negative is connected to 120VAC ground. So the converter's 12V+ is routed through the fan to 12DC- (ground) and the GFCI sees that flow as a ground fault.

Why the rest of the factory 12VDC items don't trip an external GFCI is beyond me.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote