Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I build and design electrical distribution and control systems for a living and have done so for 37 years. Every "electrical" thread I see here has incorrect information in one or more posts. I'm just curious as to who actually is a licensed electrical engineer or licensed electrician here in this forum.
I come from a family of Electricians. My dad was a Union Journeyman working on the local and traveler books of IBEW 11 and 441. My uncle (few miles away) was a non-union electrical contractor. I started my apprenticeship in the mid 70's and got my Journeyman's card eventually as work for my Uncle's company did not count as apprenticeship time, even though my work was with a local 441 journeyman. Business agent ticked me off for years!

I went back to school for an engineering degree and left the trade a few years later. Having the background and experience as an electrician helped me immensely in my engineering work as a systems architect.

Back then, the contractor was licensed - not the tradesman.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #22

Quote:
I was born in Concord, Mass. So I'm officially a Masshole. I'm also a card carrying NRA member and a Republican. Not much "left" with me.
Amen!!
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
I'm sure the fine folks who wired my rv DC and AC wiring with 500 splices were licensed electricians. I've found that coax is their nemisis. They would rather roll up 150ft under my bed then cut it and terminate it with an F connector.
I just gutted my campers factory cable and ran all new catv / satellite wire. I was amazed at the routing Jayco used to get cable from the back of the trailer to the middle and front!

I think 150 feet is way underestimated... The freaking cable crossed the camper from side to side at least 3 times for absolutely no reason!
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #24

Somewhere, I've got a dusty bit of sheepskin that says I are a Electrical Engineer. *
I just don't find it necessary to wave it about.

(*..But that's Scots electricity, so I don't suppose it counts here ... )

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I was amazed at the routing Jayco used to get cable from the back of the trailer to the middle and front!
It's called the "Olympic" or "LeMans" wiring method.
All the fitters line up at the far end of the shop, somebody fires a cannon and the one who gets there first, gets the straight cable run. Everybody else has to work around him.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #26

I'm guessing another award at the factory is awarded to whomever can splice together as much scrap wire together to complete their job.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #27

Quote:
I was born in Concord, Mass. So I'm officially a Masshole. I'm also a card carrying NRA member and a Republican. Not much "left" with me.
You're welcome at my campfire anytime!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:15 AM   #28

ND Master here. 40 yrs oil field experience, newly retired, never had to wire houses for a living and I am thankful for that. I always said, if I had to wire houses for a living I'd be mighty hungry. It just never appealed to me, so I tip my hat to those that do it. It's funny how I was more drawn to the medium voltage (2300V phase to phase) and the widow maker (480V phase to phase) stuff. You learn respect for electricity real fast when you deal with those kinds of potential. But I truly enjoyed my career. I'm enjoying retirement more.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
ND Master here. 40 yrs oil field experience, newly retired, never had to wire houses for a living and I am thankful for that. I always said, if I had to wire houses for a living I'd be mighty hungry. It just never appealed to me, so I tip my hat to those that do it. It's funny how I was more drawn to the medium voltage (2300V phase to phase) and the widow maker (480V phase to phase) stuff. You learn respect for electricity real fast when you deal with those kinds of potential. But I truly enjoyed my career. I'm enjoying retirement more.
480 Phase to ground Highway lighting is fun also!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
It's funny how I was more drawn to the medium voltage (2300V phase to phase) and the widow maker (480V phase to phase) stuff. You learn respect for electricity real fast when you deal with those kinds of potential.

I'll "see you", and raise ... :-)

11KV and microwave frequencies... (satellite communications)
Now that stuff will keep you on your toes!

Old 06-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #31

Quote:
I build and design electrical distribution and control systems for a living and have done so for 37 years. Every "electrical" thread I see here has incorrect information in one or more posts. I'm just curious as to who actually is a licensed electrical engineer or licensed electrician here in this forum.
There are a lot of posts with inaccurate information, in all subjects. I think sometimes we read things to fast, and miss important details.

Myself, degree in Mechanical Engineering, minors in Electrical Engineering and Mathematics.

Employment, I am a Project Engineer for a fortune 500 company. My focus is installation and upgrades to machines that make things. Virtually every machine requires massive amounts of electrical components. I have learned, what our mechanical designers mess up in physical design, our electrical engineers who are last on scene have to fix, and figure out how make it work.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I think sometimes we read things to fast, and miss important details.
And some never read the previous responses.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Been guilty of that on really long threads and not enough time

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #34
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's because they're self-proclaimed "experts".

I don't think I've ever seen a college degree or official business certification with the word "expert" in the award or title.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #35

Hey guys. Take a look at this.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's because they're self-proclaimed "experts".

I don't think I've ever seen a college degree or official business certification with the word "expert" in the award or title.
No, and you won't, because they come with other well recognized "expert" designations instead; like MD, JD, Ph.D., MS, BA, etc. When these are used, they imply "expert" making it unnecessary to add the word "Expert", don't you think?

There are people in this world who are experts without any formal education whatsoever. When you put it all in that perspective, what's that entitlement written on whatever "piece of paper(s)" anyone holds really mean?

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
No, and you won't, because they come with other well recognized "expert" designations instead; like MD, JD, Ph.D., MS, BA, etc. When these are used, they imply "expert" making it unnecessary to add the word "Expert", don't you think?
Personally, to me, all those letters after someone's name DOESN'T imply to me that they're an expert. It tells me they like to spend a ton of time in academia and school. I've seen many people with those letters after their name who have a difficult time tying their shoes. Being "book smart" has never impressed me.

Quote:
There are people in this world who are experts without any formal education whatsoever. When you put it all in that perspective, what's that entitlement written on whatever "piece of paper(s)" anyone holds really mean?
That's the people where I would hang the "expert" tag on. The ones who have come up through the trenches, learned a ton of practical knowledge, and have the past accomplishments to SHOW they are an expert.

I take a lot of caution when people start reading off their credentials instead of showing their true accomplishments. If someone "needs" to preface a statement with "I have xx years experience", or other "resume" points, this immediately puts me on guard.

I feel, your past accomplishments and successes, and being the person people search for knowledge, should be all the resume you'll ever need.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Personally, to me, all those letters after someone's name DOESN'T imply to me that they're an expert. It tells me they like to spend a ton of time in academia and school. I've seen many people with those letters after their name who have a difficult time tying their shoes. Being "book smart" has never impressed me.

That's the people where I would hang the "expert" tag on. The ones who have come up through the trenches, learned a ton of practical knowledge, and have the past accomplishments to SHOW they are an expert.

My SIL was a college math professor with a PH.D and spent most of her life in academia. She was a nice person to converse with, but frankly she was dumb as a rock. Sorry Susan, RIP....

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
There are people in this world who are experts without any formal education whatsoever.
Thomas Edison is one. He went to school for about 12 weeks.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #40

Ok. So you got to do your engineer bashing. Hoorah. I knew MEs that couldn't change the oil in their car, and EEs that had never been burnt on a soldering iron. They went on to be managers. I worked my way through college as a mechanic and paint and glasman.So when you lump us into paper whatever offends me. I learned from school and then learned from operators, techs, and other engineers when I went into industry. You know the other day I found that a master electrician that cut the neutral on my hot tub putting in a new AC. He still hasn't heard the end from me. So get off your high horses and understand there are dumb people in all professions.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote