Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #41

I'm not an electrician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Seriously, I can help people on the forum with a lot of stuff but I will always keep my opinions to myself if there's any question as to my lack of knowledge. Kudos to all the electricians on the board as I've learned a lot from you people.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 AM   #42
Site Team

I also have learned a lot about electricity and electronics from schools and
actual experience. I think threw and investigate before jumping in blindly.
Most electrical workers that I have known are not electrical engineers but do have a license to do what they do if they charge for their work. Many work under someone who has the credentials. You don't have to be a engineer to wire up a outlet but you need to know what you are doing.

My bil has a PHD in counseling but cannot make a living at it. I learned electricity and Electronics from Air Force Technical schools and other company schools with Ma Bell. They sent me to Elkins Radio Institute to get a radio license back when it was required to work on microwave radio. When I retired, I enrolled in a local tech school to learn what I needed to get a Residential Electrician License.

I learned more about high voltage street lights reading this thread than I ever knew or wanted to know and I enjoy being around people that know what they are talking about, so y'all keep talking and I will keep reading!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Ok. So you got to do your engineer bashing. Hoorah. I knew MEs that couldn't change the oil in their car, and EEs that had never been burnt on a soldering iron. .
I once watched a highly-lettered graduate engineer, pick up the wrong end of a soldering iron.
And yes, along with everyone else in the room, I stood back and let him do it. We all have to learn in our own way
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #44

Remember 50% of the architects, engineers, doctors, etc graduated in the bottom half of their class.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I build and design electrical distribution and control systems for a living and have done so for 37 years. Every "electrical" thread I see here has incorrect information in one or more posts. I'm just curious as to who actually is a licensed electrical engineer or licensed electrician here in this forum.
Well I need some expert advice. I have two lights over the recliners this switch controls. I bought a switch with a dimmer slide. I'll try to attach photos of both. The old switch has a loop and they spliced into it and connected to one switch terminal. The other wire goes directly into the other switch terminal. The new switch has three wires, black, red and white. Can you tell me how to connect the new switch????? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
RV Light.jpg   RV Light 2.jpg   RV Light 3.jpg  
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Well I need some expert advice. I have two lights over the recliners this switch controls. I bought a switch with a dimmer slide. I'll try to attach photos of both. The old switch has a loop and they spliced into it and connected to one switch terminal. The other wire goes directly into the other switch terminal. The new switch has three wires, black, red and white. Can you tell me how to connect the new switch????? Thanks in advance!
The "loop" wire is going to your lights, one side to each light. The lone black wire in the bottom o the photo is your 12 volt supply. You can confirm that the single black wire is 12 volts by disconnecting it and connect the red lead of a voltmeter to it and the black lead of a voltmeter to ground. The voltmeter should read at least 12 volts.

To connect your dimmer per the diagram shown. Connect the "loop" wire to the white wire. Connect the single black wire to the red wire. You will need to run a third wire to a ground point in your RV. I would insure that the new switch doesn't get too hot before putting it back into the wall.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #47

The loop is the hot wire and the single wire is the switch leg going to your lights. An LED dimmer requires a negative connection going to the lights to be dimmed not a trailer ground reference. Refer to the wiring diagram for your dimmer.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #48

Schematics.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Dimmer Schematic.jpg   Dimmer Schematic.jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #49

Hopefully this uploaded in the correct orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Dimmer Schematic.jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #50

Quote:
The directions on the switch could not get any clearer. You are putting a dimer in where there was not one. You do not have the proper wire in the wall to install that switch. You need hot, ground, and switch leg.

Your wiring looks to be hot and switch leg. The picture on the top left is confusing. Is that just one wire coming from the wall that goes to both tabs on the switch???

RED = hot
BLK = ground.
WHT =switch leg to the light.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:17 AM   #51

I do agree with this as well. I consider myself knowledgeable with electrical and am not afraid to take on what I would consider simple electrical tasks. Since I am not an electrician, I avoid giving advice on forums regarding electrical issues, unless it’s general homeowner type of issue.

I have seen so much misinformation given as well, especially when it comes to the 30 / 50 amp RV’s differences. I’ll admit, it’s sometimes entertaining seeing the banter about these things.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
The directions on the switch could not get any clearer. You are putting a dimer in where there was not one. You do not have the proper wire in the wall to install that switch. You need hot, ground, and switch leg.

Your wiring looks to be hot and switch leg. The picture on the top left is confusing. Is that just one wire coming from the wall that goes to both tabs on the switch???

RED = hot
BLK = ground.
WHT =switch leg to the light.
The picture is not the best. No, the loop wire has been spliced by the top tab. The bottom tab has the lone wire coming in. So it sounds like I need another ground wire connected that isn't currently there. If that's the case, not gonna tackle that. I understand the new switch's labels. Just didn't know how the old switch is connected. That's why I'm asking.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #53

Quote:
So it sounds like I need another ground wire connected that isn't currently there. If that's the case, not gonna tackle that. I understand the new switch's labels.
Is that a piece of aluminum frame to the left of the hole for the switch? If so you may be able to pickup your ground by attaching the wire to it with a self tapping screw. Usually all the framing is grounded, If you have a meter I would check anyway.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:36 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Is that a piece of aluminum frame to the left of the hole for the switch? If so you may be able to pickup your ground by attaching the wire to it with a self tapping screw. Usually all the framing is grounded, If you have a meter I would check anyway.
First of all, thanks to everyone that has responded. I appreciate the help. I need it, lol. But not sure about the aluminum framing. Will have to go back to the RV and check it out. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can. I even have two different dimmer switches. My other one is just like ones that I currently have in the RV over the living area, shoots a beam of light that you cover to turn off/on/dim. Duh, I think I'll pull one of them off and see how they're connected.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #55

Quote:
I build and design electrical distribution and control systems for a living and have done so for 37 years. Every "electrical" thread I see here has incorrect information in one or more posts. I'm just curious as to who actually is a licensed electrical engineer or licensed electrician here in this forum.
We're so lucky to have you.🤣
blacklabbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #56

I am
ffrederff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I really don't understand why some people find the need to post their resumes here, over and over.
He's earned the right to give a professional opinion on electrical issues.

I'll take any expert advice by those who are qualified when I need it.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #58

Well, Happy 4th of July!

Maybe tomorrow I'l say Happy 5th of July.... or maybe not.

If you are in a time zone where it is not the 4th, then Happy Whatever Day!
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #59

Quote:
I need some of that expertise!
I have a 50 Amp coach. At home it's plugged into a 30 Amp recepticle through a Dog Bone. I've been reading about "soft start" devices. We have 15,000 and a 13,500 air conditioner. By accident I turned on the bedroom While the living room was already running. Started right up....no staggering no problem. Ran for hours, no problem. This is a Jayco Precept UL 31. I bought it used through a dealer so I never had the chance to talk to the first owner and am learning what it has and does by experimenting. It's heavily equipped. Might I have a soft start and not know it? Do Soft Starts do any harm to the air conditioner compressors? Does running both air conditioners do any harm when plugged into the 30 amp socket at home? Thanks.
SalzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #60

You’re all good, what you describe is normal operation. Soft start devices actually help compressor motors start. Most people that boondock on generator or solar wll use them.