Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #61

Electricity scares the hell out of me. One of my good friends is a 35 year IBEW guy and my son is a first year apprentice. I’m covered.
BigDaddy6290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6290 View Post
Electricity scares the hell out of me. One of my good friends is a 35 year IBEW guy and my son is a first year apprentice. I’m covered.
Which local. I belong to Local 46, Seattle.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #63

I'm a retired union electrician with 45,000 hours experience, mostly involved in heavy commercial and industrial work, mainly in Alaska, but also some in WA, OR, and CA. Been retired for most of the past 15 years..
Old 07-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
I for one have it highlighted in my signature to keep down a lot of conversation on whether I know what I'm talking about from time to time. Stops a lot of argument from DIY wannabe's that don't know the codes and give out bad information. I go out of my way to stop unsafe and non code compliant information on the internet. I get lots of PM requests from folks that see it in my signature.

It is not a bragging thing with me. it's a need to inform whomever I am talking to.
Is anything in an RV for any company wired to code?
kcconawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #65

[QUOTE=Cavie;869298]You almost got it right. Actually what we ran was called 10/3 plain. Black, white and a green, White was a hot leg

Actually White is always a neutral...in this case black would be hot and green would be ground.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #66

I more often hear about problems with 12V systems on RVs. While I am sure the guys/gals on here know more than most, the majority of the electricians I have talked to, don't know a thing about 12V systems.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #67

A college degree is only a starting point for knowledge. It means you were good in school. Maybe some of what you learned will come in handy possibly on a game show.

OK, nothing against those who make it through but what you typically learn in school is only the start of what you need to learn in real life. I can relate to both sides of the equation as my field was electronics. In addition to being a student I also taught a technical class and can tell you for a fact that when the students leave class they may think they know it all but in fact, they don't.

After class most of the techs would end up calling our support help line for assistance in repairing the electronic devices they were taught. They could have been shown exactly the problem/fix during class but from what I have heard, you really only retain 20% of what you are taught in class.

You really only learn through actually working in your field. I can tell you that once you tear your hair out working on a problem, you will retain that info far better than by sitting in a class trying not to nod off.

Yes I have a degree in electronics but I was taught vacuum tubes. Just how relevant is that degree these days. I had to teach myself transistors and ICs mostly as a hobby. For me, personally, I tend to learn more in a non-class environment.

My son is a licensed electrician and I bet he has learned a lot by on the job experience.

If a so called "expert" is only expert from a degree then their knowledge may be lacking. A degree followed by many years in the real world will make you a true expert.

Sorry for the babbling. I have been reading this post for some time and just had to vent. I feel better now.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #68
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
If a so called "expert" is only expert from a degree then their knowledge may be lacking. A degree followed by many years in the real world will make you a true expert.
Is anyone ever a "true expert"? That's usually a self-proclaimed title.

In reality, if someone considers themself an "expert", they should be continually learning and adding to their experience everyday. This would continue up to the day they put you in a pine box.

An "expert" should be recognized by the accurate information they share, and shouldn't have to self-proclaim with many of their posts.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:04 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Which local. I belong to Local 46, Seattle.
Both are 46. My son is at Sequoya right now.
BigDaddy6290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:52 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcconawa View Post
Is anything in an RV for any company wired to code?
Yes surprisingly it is pretty much to code. Sometimes they overdo it like putting the Microwave on the GFI because the outlet is within 6' of a water source. If they choose to do that the Micro needs to be on it's own circuit. There is an entire section in the NEC devoted to RV's, and campgrounds. They get away with those cheap punch down outlets because all the connections are contained d not exposed. Peds are to code and they have a Location code when installed. I see that code violated a lot.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:01 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Is anyone ever a "true expert"? That's usually a self-proclaimed title.

In reality, if someone considers themself an "expert", they should be continually learning and adding to their experience everyday. This would continue up to the day they put you in a pine box.

An "expert" should be recognized by the accurate information they share, and shouldn't have to self-proclaim with many of their posts.
Having the "Expert" (as you call it) designation in my signature shuts up the DIYer newbie when he sees he is talking to a master electrician. I do follow the electrical threads to learn all I can about how the RV's are wired. Believe me there is a wide range if differences. That's why I wish the Forum's required Make, year and Model # in the signature.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:21 AM   #72

An old timer once told me "An "Expert" is someone who learns more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing".

Where I work, we have a few equipment engineers who grew up on working farms. The combination of of formal training with that hands on "fix it up before the rain comes" background of practical application has been unbeatable. They are the ones I defer to when making repairs out on the road. I don't crack on them with lame engineer jokes too often... unless I find a really good one!
Old 07-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I build and design electrical distribution and control systems for a living and have done so for 37 years. Every "electrical" thread I see here has incorrect information in one or more posts. I'm just curious as to who actually is a licensed electrical engineer or licensed electrician here in this forum.
I am a retired Master Electrician with 42 years of IBEW service. The electrical trade can humble anyone any day of the week! Many electricians have they’re preferred niches in our trade. Mine was not DC wiring. I’mStill learning in our Class C. And appreciate Mike Sokill’s RV electricity articles on YouTube.
Bobwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #74

Just a DIY guy...

OK, I know very little. Thank you for letting me get that off my chest.

Question:

My cargo trailer/toy-hauler had AC power installed by the original owner. Looks just like a small panel you see in a garage or shop. The lead from the RV 30 amp has 3 conductors, black, white, and green. I was told by someone to construct two(2) grounding/neutral blocks inside the RV panel and then connect them. It was referred to a "floating" ground. All receptacles are grounded with neutral.

Am I going to die?
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #75

neutral bond

As long as you are all here, can you tell me

Should the neutral be bonded to the ground in the camper, in the box or at the transformer?
Wally
Conservationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #76

I started this thread with “Electrical Experts”. What was behind that was a sarcastic meaning to all the people that post electrical “advice” which is incorrect. There is a lot of negativity here aimed at some of us professionals in the electrical industry. I don’t feel that tone is necessary or solicited. There are professionals of all vocations that state their qualifications why do some of you feel it necessary to try and put down professionals who may have listed their qualification here. It’s easy to hide behind your keyboard but would you same people say that in person to whomever you are aiming your negative comments towards? Is there anything to be gained by putting others down or implying they are something they’re not but that’s what your perception is of them?
Old 07-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #77
Site Team

Thread closed at least for the time being to allow the site team the opportunity to sort through some of these comments and posts.

A friendly reminder, personal attacks and constant negativity directed toward members of this forum will not be tolerated.

I encourage you to read our Community Rules if you haven't done so already.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...ork&page=rules

Please pay close attention to the following sections:

"Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, extreme belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable."

"Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent."

Midnightmoon

Site-Team
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #78
Site Team

Thread Open.

Please remember to keep our Community Rules and the reminders in the post above in mind as we move forward.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservationman View Post
As long as you are all here, can you tell me

Should the neutral be bonded to the ground in the camper, in the box or at the transformer?
Wally
This is an interesting point, it all starts with the code phrase “service” is the converter/ panel the service for an RV or the pedestal that we plug into. I’ll dig out my code book and get back to you on this. I have several electrical inspections coming soon on a high rise project I’m doing in Seattle and I’ll ask a few of the inspectors how they interpret the code.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKYBIZ View Post
An old timer once told me "An "Expert" is someone who learns more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing".

That should be a T shirt.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote