Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

Electrical issue after plugging in Generator

I plugged in Generator to run A/c at house and blew 20amp resettable breaker on generator that won’t reset now so decided to not run a/c and plugged back into house and now camper blows house breaker. If I turn breaker off on converter it won’t blow house breaker. Also if I pull both 40amp fuses out of trailer for battery I can’t turn converter on with out blowing breaker And I can have both fuses and converter breaker on if I unhook battery. So I’m thinking I roasted converter? It’s a 2015 27rls any help would be appreciated. I ordered new converter and don’t wanna smoke this one
Walleye1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

After some checks

Ok I can run everything from generator and have converter breaker on with both 40amp fuses in if I unhook Battery. If I want battery hooked up I have to pull both fuses. My tested is telling me I have an open neutral in all outlets I had new tires put on yesterday at Goodyear and they jacked trailer up from one axel each side to get both tandems off ground. Would a break wire give me an open neutral?
Old 07-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

Walleye1950- What type of generator? If it is not integrated into the trailer when purchased or is it a portable type you need to read the below link.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...onding-basics/
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

Generator was the cause of open neutral

Would my battery cause a short to pop my breaker on converter I’m guessing battery is 5 years old and I get 13.5 volts going to battery just bought camper so I’m lost at this point
Old 07-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #5

First off you should troubleshoot your electrical systems separately. The only real location where the 120 volt and 12 volt systems cross paths so to speak is at the converter.

Sounds like you have a converter problem that trips breakers only when it is trying to charge the battery. You do not need the converter in operation to test your electrical systems.

Test 1 - with converter breaker turned off plug in and test all 120 volt items. An open neutral would kill power to outlets or any 120 volt device. If all work, your 120 volt system is fine.

Test 2 - unplug 120 volts and with converter breaker still off test your 12 volt items such as lights, awning, slide, etc. This will test your 12 volt circuitry. An open +12 volts or ground will kill only the 12 volt items.

Since you are able to start your generator this tells me your battery is probably good. If it was dead shorted the 12 volt items wouldn't work and the converter may puke if it tried to charge it meaning it could trip its breaker.

If the only time your breaker trips is when the converter breaker is on and trying to charge the battery, odds are the converter is bad. I suppose you could swap in a different battery as a test.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote